Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by beefzap
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I would be interested in opinions on this. Assume that the HQ restoration and the current Mirco reproduction are the same price once shipping is included. thanks - Harvey

#2 5 years ago

If the price is the same, then the HQ restoration will be better because the clear coat will be much better.

#3 5 years ago

Does the lagoon plastic fit the mircos? I know the other repro's didn't.

#4 5 years ago

I'm in the same dilemma. I have a decent condition MB playfield that I need to get restored and coated. Or I could buy a Mirco.

#5 5 years ago

Vid - per the link tot he posting from the supplier -- http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-monster-bash-repro-playfields--they claim to be clear coated in a dust free room. Are you saying that the clear coat process/materials would be better from a resto job?

Skins - good question - he claims an exact fit and color match but how could you tell without having it in hand?

#6 5 years ago

Another vote for HQ Restoration but only if it were done by the following:

HEP
Kruzman
Chad Keller

#7 5 years ago

I've never done a playfield swap myself, but I've read that a common problem with the repros is that the dimples can be off or even completely missing. This is obviously not a problem at all with a restored playfield.

#8 5 years ago

The clearcoat on the repos are really thick and not even (not leveled). I had the clear redone by HEP on my STTNG repo field. You could visibly see the "hills" in the clearcoat. If your orginal playfield is in a condition to be restored to like new, then I would go that route. My original STTNG playfield was too far gone to restore.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Another vote for HQ Restoration but only if it were done by the following:
HEPKruzmanChad Keller

And another vote...

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

I would be interested in opinions on this. Assume that the HQ restoration and the current Mirco reproduction are the same price once shipping is included. thanks - Harvey

Need more details.

What's the condition of the original PF?

My solution was to send the repro PF to Chris at HEP to have him fix any issues that the repro had, and re-clear it.

#11 5 years ago

Mirco's usually have to be corrected and re-cleared before going into a high end restoration game. I remember that HEP did a video a while back we're he had to widen the shooter lane and make other minor changes to make the playfield play correctly.

With that being said, the cost on a Kruzman, HEP, Keller playfield is usually quite a bit more than a stock Mirco. I'd imagine a restored original by a pro is probably $1500+ whereas a Mirco is typically $800-$900 plus you have to spend another $300-$400+ to get it fixed up by one of the pros making it somewhat of a cheaper option.

#12 5 years ago

I'd want a restored version just so the old screw slots are all lined up already

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

per the link tot he posting from the supplier -- http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-monster-bash-repro-playfields--they claim to be clear coated in a dust free room.

There is no such thing as a dust free room.

"Cleanrooms" are rated by their cleanliness classification. "John was in charge of a Class 1,000 cleanroom"

Quoted from Hjbondar:

Are you saying that the clear coat process/materials would be better from a resto job?

I'm saying that most high end customers buy a Mirco playfield, and then have it clear coated by a pro.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is no such thing as a dust free room.
"Cleanrooms" are rated by their cleanliness classification. "John was in charge of a Class 1,000 cleanroom"

I'm saying that most high end customers buy a Mirco playfield, and then have it clear coated by a pro.

Class 1000 clean room? Even my shitty state school had a class 100 clean room.

If I recall, its something like 100 particles per cubic foot of space. So a class 1000 clean room will have 10 times the dust of my outdated schools clean room.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Class 1000 clean room? Even my shitty state school had a class 100 clean room.

Many places are switching to ISO classification, so a Class 1000 would be an ISO 6, a Class 1 would be an ISO 3......a Class 100,000 would be ISO 8.....

#16 5 years ago

Dude- If your spraying in a class 100 clean room the final product will be pristine- and you would probably be instantly shot by whomever was running that clean room- you would destroy it. Normal air is over 1,000,000 particles per cubic foot. No one sprays in a class 10/100 clean room- at least not the type I am used to for silicone lithography and nanometer to micron scale fabrication... the cost to run something like that is very- VERY high. You need to wear complete head to toe bunny suits, gloves, booties, tuck everything in and spend enormous dollars on the recirculation filters and HVAC to keep it clean- have specialized entry and exit gowning rooms etc.. this is a joke.

Paint shops i know less about, but I am sure they probably filter the air and its probably pretty clean- but as soonas soon as you open that HVAC nozzle for 1/10 of a sec you now have a class 1,000,000 "clean room" which crap tons of dried aerosolized clear coat there

Spraying a nice clear coat DOES NOT require a true clean room- a cleaner than your garage room is a good start-

#17 5 years ago

I just had the same question on TZ - I ended up buying a restored playfield done by a high end shop who is not longer in the biz but for the life of me I can't remember who... I paid more for mine than the mirco, but it is excellent, original, and has all the nice dimples and such to make installation easier.

#18 5 years ago

the gradient coloring for the blue to purple looked missing on the micro playfields (at least from the last round of images that he was floating prior to screening them)

#19 5 years ago

For what its worth, my STTNG repo playfield had all the holes predrilled and everything lined up correctly. I didn't have to drill anything.

#20 5 years ago

I am asking the same question myself. I have a routed MB that I want to restore and have been going back and forth with options. Now that the Mirco MB playfield is out, we have another option to consider. I like the idea of the restoration on my original but I don't know enough about the new repros. My scoop has the typical wear and I don't know how restored playfields hold up over time. I am also interested in any recommendations on this!

#21 5 years ago

I recently ordered a Mirco, I'll be able to compare soon enough. A bowling ball could pass through my scoop hole, it's beyond restoring.

#22 5 years ago

I have a micro and Ipb and the micro is better. Doesn't need any corrections like ipb. Clear coat looks better too and no bleed on inserts. Colours are better too and very close to original.

6 months later
#23 4 years ago

Any new wisdom on the Mirco MB playfield quality? Thanks!

#24 4 years ago

I have both and prefer Mirco's.

1 month later
#25 4 years ago

Has anyone completed a mirco MB playfield swap? If so comments on how difficult and did everything fit correctly?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00
$ 14.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside