IMG_5325 (resized).JPG
IMG_5324 (resized).JPG
IMG_5323 (resized).JPG
IMG_5322 (resized).JPG
IMG_5321 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_7814217_11 (resized).jpg
IMG_7054 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #583 Mirco failure photos. Posted by ForceFlow (2 years ago)

Post #703 Alternate Playfield Restoration service Posted by petebest (1 year ago)

Post #795 List of Mirco playfield issues by HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #896 Response form PPS concerning playfield issues Posted by PPS (1 year ago)

Post #940 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Post #1045 Peeling clearcoat Posted by Warzard (1 year ago)

Post #1096 quicksliver clearcoat failure under posts Posted by gdonovan (1 year ago)

Post #1097 Black Knight clearcoat failure under posts Posted by wolffcub (1 year ago)

Post #1119 Example of another playfield company standing behind their products Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Post #1123 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nerdygrrl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#408 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I do not believe CPR had any issues, & they likely use another sealer. I used many different finish contractors along with Ron who has purchased a number to correct a few mistakes, or to clear himself from ink only. No one ever had the failures like Mirco. He is a special kind of guy! Still maybe only a small percentage of his playfields go bad. But who knows the true numbers except the man himself. Maybe ask him at TPF, & see if he actually answers that question. I always stood behind my product over the 15 years, & lost money.

I had an early digitally printed CPR Whirlwind. The paint and clear literally exploded off of the playfield. It seemed like the ink never adhered to the wood. I had another member send me photos of his, WW PF and it looked like a 200 year old window or shutter, the entire center was just flaked off paint.

It was not a positive experience for me and the main reason why I will not buy digitally printed PF's. I'm not sure if they fixed it since their early runs, but I know there were many problems in the beginning.

#410 2 years ago

It was seven years ago I don't even have that computer any more. Just testing the holes for a drill bit size would cause the paint, and clear to pop off. IIRC many of the holes had been filled in with in and paint and that could have been the reason for the adhesion issues.

Plenty of posts here on the subject. That round of PF's were notorious for it. I have never seen anything like it. Just your finger nail would cause stuff to pop off. I have done my fair share of PF swaps and have never experienced anything like it.

#415 2 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

Interesting, because CPR just switched to digital printing 2-1/2 years ago.....

You are correct. I just went back to look they made the announcement in 3/19 and the PF was from 12/17 which I guess makes it even worse if it was one of their screened PF's and not a first run of the digital as I had remembered. The ink adherence or lack thereof was unlike anything I have seen in my years collecting.

#418 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I have a CPR WW playfield lying around waiting to be used. Ink adhering beautifully!

That's awesome. I'll be curious about your purchase date and what happens when and if you try installing posts onto it. Mine and others looked great, until you actually tried to use it.

I had at least twenty others reach out to me when I was struggling with mine to report the same issue. On top of the ink issue the PF's did not arrive dimpled as they missed that entire step in the milling or whatever process.

I made my comment re them not having issues with their digitally printed PF's. I was mistaken, it was a silk screened run that gave us all trouble. Alas this is not a CPR thread and that is all I am going to say on the subject.

#430 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You mean like this. This started out as 2 chips on the left side of the scoop. Keep in mind, this happened after a small handful of plays.
This pic is after stripping everything off the playfield and making an agreement for a replacement.
Just for fun, I started picking at the chips with a fingernail.
It got a lot worse than this.
[quoted image]

Thank you for sharing these. Every time I bring it up, I am dismissed and treated like I made it up or have no idea what I am talking about.

#444 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

What is it that would make ink (or paint, or pigment, or whatever) not stick to the wood in the first place?
I get that a fresh new PF has wood sanded so smooth it may not have much tooth. And it may absorb different colors/layers at different rates. Both reasons being why primer should be the first layer. But that seems like an elementary step that is not "new", nor dependent on which/what process (digital, screened, etc) is used?
Is it a case where the surface tension of clear adhering and curing to the ink directly below, pulls the ink layer off the wood? Obviously I realize that still points to "ink adhesion" as the root cause... so I guess what I'm asking/wondering is if the ink would NOT have separated from the wood, if there was no clear applied? Or maybe it's "too much" clear?

That is the million dollar question. Those CPR Whirlwind PF's were unlike anything I have ever seen. If you touch and edge the paint and clear would just pop off.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

OUCH… that was a disaster.

How’s CPR these days..

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some folks have pointed out in other threads that artwork for certain games isn't quite right or as detailed as it should be (keylines were much too thick on a few titles).
I don't think I've seen mention of clearcoat pooling under posts or clearcoat failures, but on some examples, there have been raised lips around hole edges and gaps or ridges around inserts. So, some people opt to send CPR playfields to get re-cleared by someone else. I'm not sure if that's been addressed/corrected in more recent runs.

This was a run of CPW WW from a year or so ago...I and many others have had the same issue with their WW. I can't speak for their other PF's.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This was a little better than a year ago. I did a playfield swap for a friend.
These were the minor issues.
What really pissed me off was Kevin initially took no responsibility for any of the issues we had. Pointed the finger at me and said it had to be all my fault because they have never had issues like this with any of their playfields. After a little research, we found that was not the case.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You mean like this. This started out as 2 chips on the left side of the scoop. Keep in mind, this happened after a small handful of plays.
This pic is after stripping everything off the playfield and making an agreement for a replacement.
Just for fun, I started picking at the chips with a fingernail.
It got a lot worse than this.
[quoted image]

#613 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Precisely my point.. Does anyone have any valid research on this.. I've seen some high mileage games in my day
with all manner of playfield issues. At what point could these issues been resolved?
Perhaps a post wasn't torqued correctly and has been wiggling and causing damage. Hence the reason I try to give
my games a thorough inspection. Learned that from guys who route games. A little bit of prevention goes along way.
Some people even take off the "Rubbers" and harden their games. Wonder what the impact that causes longterm?

LOLZ after all of the evidence that you still think this is user error. This is an ink adhesion and cure issue plain and simple. The foundation is broken. The inks are not adhering correctly to the wood in many cases and the clears are too soft for this application.

It wasn't always like this. This is the result of new techniques and formulas.

1 week later
#635 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

if you want a MM PF buy a MMr PF from planetary pinball.

Will that work?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nerdygrrl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers?tu=nerdygrrl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.