IMG_5198 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
20240123_181422 (resized).jpg
pinside.13366fd7c2143e3375ce653efa167ef7e046c37c (resized).jpg
29C90993-1AAC-4BA1-854A-39A5534ABB5F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
3C6F3380-0F77-4A53-9294-0272FCE6B6F0_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
11E2D4EF-C4AB-4513-8B34-A5F6D729D5EE_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #583 Mirco failure photos. Posted by ForceFlow (2 years ago)

Post #703 Alternate Playfield Restoration service Posted by petebest (1 year ago)

Post #795 List of Mirco playfield issues by HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #896 Response form PPS concerning playfield issues Posted by PPS (1 year ago)

Post #940 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Post #1045 Peeling clearcoat Posted by Warzard (1 year ago)

Post #1096 quicksliver clearcoat failure under posts Posted by gdonovan (1 year ago)

Post #1097 Black Knight clearcoat failure under posts Posted by wolffcub (1 year ago)

Post #1119 Example of another playfield company standing behind their products Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Post #1123 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#424 2 years ago

Don't forget about the infamous CPR Whirlwind run from ~2017 (IIRC) that had the offset dither-dot mask alignment line running smack across the bottom of the pf.

When mine arrived with that issue I was shocked at such a bad mistake, and couldn't unsee it. The clear seemed fine but I resold it after a year, unused, so I can't say for sure. Sounds like I dodged another bullet.

BUT I still want a new Whirlwind PF, especially now to go with all the work I put into the 2.0 kit build. So I see CPR has them listed available again (and conveniently pretends the 2017 run never happened by saying "first time since 2011!") but UGH back on the fence I am again. Won't go the Mirco route. Sigh. What's an OCD stormchaser-wannabe to do?

#443 2 years ago

What is it that would make ink (or paint, or pigment, or whatever) not stick to the wood in the first place?

I get that a fresh new PF has wood sanded so smooth it may not have much tooth. And it may absorb different colors/layers at different rates. Both reasons being why primer should be the first layer. But that seems like an elementary step that is not "new", nor dependent on which/what process (digital, screened, etc) is used?

Is it a case where the surface tension of clear adhering and curing to the ink directly below, pulls the ink layer off the wood? Obviously I realize that still points to "ink adhesion" as the root cause... so I guess what I'm asking/wondering is if the ink would NOT have separated from the wood, if there was no clear applied? Or maybe it's "too much" clear?

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

While Ron does a great job of touching up and clearing playfields, if the issue is art not sticking to the playfield, redoing what's on top isn't going to make a damn bit of difference.

THANK YOU for asking that. I have often wondered the same but I'm a nobody so WTF do I know? The last time I dared question "a legend" I was moderated. Someone like you carries a little more weight.

"Have a pro redo the topcoat on stuff that's not sticking below" sounds like putting a fancy gilded roof on a house with a sinking, crumbling foundation.

1 month later
#648 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, those kind of registration issues are pretty minor and not too uncommon on factory games either.

Exactly: it's why keylines exist in the first place. And while that Mirco is pushing the edge, I've seen worse alignment on OEM runs (various games).

And it's not uncommon for OEM playfields to stray beyond even those tolerances in certain areas: ever see a whisp of bare wood around an insert? Or a post installed overline? How about all the Space Shuttles that left Williams with the drain post touching the color ring at a random point? Of course it's 40 years later and while it's not wrong to think we could do better, I dread the reject rates and price increases required. CPR used to attempt grading their runs to account for "things" but gave up because no pf is ever 100% perfect in every conceivable fashion, and you can't please everyone. One person's egregious OCD defect is another's "so what".

As long as such relatively minor things are not in the direct center line-of-sight, they're generally tolerable IMO. You should be playing the game, not fixating a lens on its nether regions.

10 months later
#871 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I know there’s been instances of US sellers selling inventory here in Sweden where they got claimed for faulty product and realized they had much more liability here than in the US.

Here's the thing: All you folks in Europe love to (perhaps rightly) crow about how you have such superior consumer protection and vendor liability laws.

So what I can't understand is, since Mirco is based in Europe, how the hell is this allowed to continue??? Methinks your laws aren't as good as you claim.

#883 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

It’s still difficult to use that protection between the countries.
It’s great on paper, difficult in real life.
If he would’ve had a distributor based here in Sweden it would’ve been a lot easier because then you’d go against the distributor in your own country.
I mean, Americans aren’t those who should talk when the law sometimes doesn’t even work over state borders within the US. So thinking it would be easier between different countries is crazy talk.

I get the cross-border bureaucracies, and your states comparison is fair. But what I mean is, aside from the Euro-zone trade laws allegedly streamling the process... why haven't any of his German customers shut it down? Seems a fair majority of Euro pinsiders have a German flag by their name so it's not like the market is too small, surely enough have been burned. If they fought back he'd might have to change overall.

1 week later
#1028 1 year ago

Are those custom / new insert shapes? Not that I've seen every game out there, but I can't recall seeing those before. That's a very specific shape, in two sizes/orientations.

Not that it's an excuse for the defects, but it would be interesting nonetheless if somehow related.

#1030 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ugh.

They're inserts. There have been lots of sizes and shapes over the years. I don't see how the size/shape by itself would affect clearcoat issues.

Of course! Hardly new in concept. But it would be interesting to see if the relief cuts under those (new?) shapes have a different pressure quotient and aren't yet figured out or something.

I mean, consider how often you see old games where all the round and square inserts are fine, but all the triangles or arrows are popping... OTOH later games have less problems with those formerly troublesome shapes.

I'm just pitching a question/theory. Not defending Mirco. Because it shouldn't be happening this quickly and of course he'll never acknowledge or own the problem regardless of cause.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

17,250 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, NY
Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.