IMG_5325 (resized).JPG
IMG_5324 (resized).JPG
IMG_5323 (resized).JPG
IMG_5322 (resized).JPG
IMG_5321 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_7814217_11 (resized).jpg
IMG_7054 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #583 Mirco failure photos. Posted by ForceFlow (2 years ago)

Post #703 Alternate Playfield Restoration service Posted by petebest (1 year ago)

Post #795 List of Mirco playfield issues by HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #896 Response form PPS concerning playfield issues Posted by PPS (1 year ago)

Post #940 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Post #1045 Peeling clearcoat Posted by Warzard (1 year ago)

Post #1096 quicksliver clearcoat failure under posts Posted by gdonovan (1 year ago)

Post #1097 Black Knight clearcoat failure under posts Posted by wolffcub (1 year ago)

Post #1119 Example of another playfield company standing behind their products Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Post #1123 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#312 2 years ago

As much as my buddy teases me about being a curmudgeon at times I have to give credit where credit is due. Picked up this playfield and a set of plastics from Micro knowing of his checkered reputation going in. As he is the only vendor selling this particular title my hands are tied in this area.

He was a bit tardy getting it out (and I did check if in stock before hand) by a week but it arrived here safe and sound packed in a very secure box from Germany. On close inspection it looks to be a digital print but if so this particular specimen looks to be of higher quality than the last one I received from another vendor. Fair is fair. The clear looks very good and all the machining looks superb. Time will tell when I start assembly in a few months in the impression holds.

The only knock I have is the inside of all the inserts have 4 "nubs" which I have never seen before and are visible on some of the more transparent inserts. A fairly minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

d506431c96275aa2535b8a964cf0207439714c4e (resized).jpgd506431c96275aa2535b8a964cf0207439714c4e (resized).jpg
#319 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Thing is though, if you are patient enough, there will be a Hardtop come out for Quicksilver and many of the other Classic Stern solid state games. Catacomb happened to be the first one out for a Hardtop.

I'm building from scratch, hardtop does me no good at all with no playfield to start with.

#320 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I had polling on my sorcerer, you can likely expect the same.

Again my hands are tied. If I want to build a Quicksilver there is but one source for playfields and used typically isn't one of them.

#325 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Undimpled playfields is where experience in swaps comes into play heavily.
Even dimpled playfields experience counts when you test fit the mech and it doesn't look right to you you can correct it. Almost all dimpled PF's even NOS ones have one or 2 spotting errors or missed drill holes, etc.
The most recent PF I finished was Mystic and CPR got most of them right.... but there were a few holes drilled through for Tnuts that shouldn't have been - had to recess the Tnut otherwise it wouldn't have fit under the drop bank.

Bally used recessed t nuts, ran into that on flash Gordon at the drop target locations. From the factory. Was annoyed CPR did not clearance the spot as Bally did.

1 month later
#344 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

No sir not missing anything- removed to show the damage of the clear and artwork lifting on a poor quality PF
Also this PF sat for months to cure after purchase.

How old is the playfield? Purchase date/build date?

#346 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

7/22/2019 is on the receipt…. I let it site for a long time in our guest room. I’m not sure I buy the whole let it sit to cure and you’ll be good concept.

I'm my curious as to when it was sprayed as there was a period he tried a different process and it did not work out.

#351 2 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

Has anyone purchased a playfield recently from Mirco (within the last 6 months) and had any issues with pooling or chipping after installing it?

I have a Quicksilver that was purchased end of last year, still in the box.

3 weeks later
#367 2 years ago

Credit where credit is due; the hardware location dimples on the Micro Quicksilver playfield are lightyears better than the last playfield I did from another vendor.

Most locations are spot on. The other game I assembled? I could safely disregard all markings as they were 100% off. All of them.

#369 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Bumping this up just to add another voice in the warning here. I purchased a Mirco PF and let it "cure" for 6 months. Installed it and within 2 months, the cure around EVERY post is pooling and chipping.

Title and dates?

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Quicksilver. Purchased 2/25/20

Find out soon enough, I purchased one the end of last year and just finished making the wiring harness.

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty clear you'll likely have the same problems. I'd have Ron fix it for you first, so the install is one and done.
Does it suck that you have to have a brand new playfield repaired with proper clearcoat? Yes. But it's part of the well-documented Mirco experience if you want to go that way.

1) That ship has sailed, it will be operational in the next week or two.

2) Some people have issues, some don't. Plenty of people have had zero issues. If 100% of his playfields chipped JJP would not be using his playfields, far too much liability.

If I have an issue I can re-clearcoat it myself thanks and I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If it happens you will hear about it in this thread undoubtedly.

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I recommend adding these just for some protection gdonovan
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-700-0069-00-70
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-700-0070-00-70
Obviously it sucks to have to add extra things that cost more but I did have pooling on my 2020 Quicksilver (after 8 months of curing) which stopped after I went back and added these. It took a few months to start showing the pooling and chipping.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Just on the posts that get ball strikes or all?

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looking forward to it.

Somewhat negative view you have there pal, wishing misfortune on someone not a net positive.

#383 2 years ago

Never mind.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I ended up putting them on all the posts. Maybe overkill, maybe not. I was already doing most, so I figured I would just do them all. IIRC, even the upper posts of the rollover lanes up top had some pooling.

Thanks for pointing these out, been installing them and might put them on all my projects now.

FWIW- The clear on this playfield strikes me on the hard side compared to what CPR uses.

When chamfering some holes it notable.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:I don't recommend that.
HEP experience:
"Whoever is coming up with these “fixes” are doing themselves and their customers more harm than good.
It’s like “Oh the ink is lifting around that 1/2 inch washer. I have the solution here’s a 3/4 incher on the house”
Two months later “We are sorry to hear that the ink has lifted around that 3/4 inch washer. Here is a 1 inch washer. “
Before you know it the entire playfield is going to be covered in wrinkles and big washers."
He explained a solution (with pictures):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=High_End_Pins

I'm more concerned with chipping than "ink lifting"

The slightly elastic washer will absorb some hit rather than transmit it fully to the clear surface.

This applies to any clearcoat playfield, I'm sure all of us have seen playfields where the posts have chewed the hell out of the surface. This is an experiment I wish to try and on its face a possible solution.

#419 2 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I had at least twenty others reach out to me when I was struggling with mine to report the same issue. On top of the ink issue the PF's did not arrive dimpled as they missed that entire step in the milling or whatever process.

There is a number of CPR WW playfields where they missed routing out the switch opening in the shooter lane, several cases have popped up on Pinside.

Fixable but inexcusable for premium product.

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This was a little better than a year ago. I did a playfield swap for a friend.
These were the minor issues.
What really pissed me off was Kevin initially took no responsibility for any of the issues we had. Pointed the finger at me and said it had to be all my fault because they have never had issues like this with any of their playfields. After a little research, we found that was not the case.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What he use Rust-o-lium for clearcoat? That stuff almost never dries.

#428 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

If I ever have to buy another Mirco PF (like the Alien Star PF I've been waiting 3+ years for), I'm pretty sure those install techniques would help prevent the pooling/chipping issues with the stock, soft & never-seems-to-harden Mirco clear.

The Micro Quicksilver playfield I purchased late last year has a notably harder clear on it than the CPR Flash Gordon purchased a few months prior.

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

CPR doesn't generally do competing titles if they're already available on the market.

Seawitch

#549 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, I said generally
For Seawitch, it was taking multiple years to actually fulfill orders. CPR was able to produce them much faster.

Someone announced they were taking over GW production and CPR got right out there.

#557 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I have a stack of Williams Diamond Plate, Ballys and Gottliebs that will show you "no one did it right back then"

How many plays are on them? 40, 50, 60k?

Micro is failing under 100 in some cases.

Big difference.

#605 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

The undersized post thing stems from that stupid youtube video some hack put out saying that it was the cause. Its been debunked numerous times but people still continue to go with that narrative. It "could" be a contributing factor, but I even doubt that. Regardless, its not the main cause and people really just need to stop with that.

I'm baffled by the comment as most playfield fasteners are standardized. JJP, Stern, Spooky, etc all buy from the same places.

#607 2 years ago

Problem was the design, size and placement of fastener on Playfield.

A post being struck by a ball on a playfield doesn't care if its Stern, Gottlieb, Williams.

If the finish is chipping or pooling around posts, something is wrong with the finish of the playfield.

#614 2 years ago

That has been an issue in this hobby for awhile.
If plastics break.. Is that because something is wrong with the plastic?

Not comparable.

Plastics are expected to break and easily replaceable, new titles have shipped with spare plastics since the 90s.

1 month later
#644 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Saw this posted on a local board recently... buyer seems unhappy as you can imagine[quoted image][quoted image]

See factory playfield photo.

f52733ebba127ae4f3bb16053f2b19a4fd660c5d (resized).jpgf52733ebba127ae4f3bb16053f2b19a4fd660c5d (resized).jpg
#646 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Interesting, he did post some pics of his factory one for comparison and I see the holes are offset a little, but not quite as bad as the one you pictured. The other part is much better aligned from the factory.[quoted image][quoted image]

I really, really hate to be the one defending Micro here but that is small potatoes. That picture was grabbed off random HH sale ad on Pinside.

My factory Blackout slings are so far off from the print it's ludicrous.

#656 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

No, a fair question to ask and you inspired me to look back, and I had it wrong. I pre-ordered and don't believe I was offered an option of choosing gold/silver etc. But the playfield I received was stamped "gold," and I did see a post where someone said they were offered a "silver" because the gold had sold out. So at least as of 2019 they were still doing grading, though at that time Kevin was saying they wouldn't need to use grading with their new digital printed playfields.
Anway, I'll edit my prior post to avoid misinforming anyone about CPR's business, not my intention (and not really the point of my post anyway).

I'm fairly sure CPR announced with the new digital printing model, there would be no more grading.

They may still have some old stock that is graded though.

8 months later
#696 1 year ago
Quoted from Xenon75:It isn't every playfield. yes people have had issues and it sucks but I have installed 6 or so from Mirco and not had a problem with alignment, fitting in the cab, or clearcoat issues. Many of these playfields are now being used frequently in tournaments and on location with no issues.

I have a friend with a Quicksilver that wasn't even finished being assembled when the post areas were pooling.

#735 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:So maybe we should all work together with our PF's and have them sent for restoration. Since it sounds like it can take a year or longer it kinda sucks to have a game sitting without a PF for that long. Kinda like a PF book exchange
I need a MM... If it is okish shape I could buy it, or just send you mine once it is pulled out of the game.

I have an Alien Star that has been sitting for 2 years waiting for a playfield... which is finally coming.

1 month later
#816 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

There would be plenty of competition and high quality $600 playfields if this were not a licensed product.
This is the licensors fault as much as it is Mirco’s.

The classic Stern playfields are not licensed to my knowledge.

2 weeks later
#958 1 year ago

The number of people with defective Quicksilver playfields should give anyone pause. The clear just peeling away around the posts is horrible. There is several documented cases.

1 week later
#1096 1 year ago

The amount of clearcoat issues with Micro is staggering, a pop over to the Quicksilver thread would show some pretty horrific pictures.

Pinsiders have posted other examples as well, there is clearly something going on related to the clearing process that Micro doesn't have a handle on. If the customer service was better, perhaps it would be less of an issue but by and large his attitude has been "it's your fault"

da8b14defdbfb188f3c5c3bd3a44996daf10c374 (resized).jpgda8b14defdbfb188f3c5c3bd3a44996daf10c374 (resized).jpge4b83f34e86bb446e4a24bd7f133da931888050b (resized).jpge4b83f34e86bb446e4a24bd7f133da931888050b (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#1215 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

... and yet somehow Ron Kruzman (among numerous others) seem to have a excellent track record for re-clearing with the same high gloss wet look, and enthusiasts knowing that this will hold up.

Stern seems to have little problem churning out games with few (not zero) problems. Same for CGC.

2 months later
#1394 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Your opinion is noted. However, 10 years could easily turn into never. Then what?

At this point it's theft as he refuses to return it.

1 week later
#1536 9 months ago

Far as I'm concerned any company that uses a Micro playfield is dead to me, nor will I purchase anything from Micro again. It's tragic that the market is so starved for product this situation is allowed to continue. There are several vendors producing playfields and no one else has this level of complaints relating to clearcoat.

#1562 9 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

cottonm4... have you ever seen the rubber captons on a 80s tape deck, VCR, or hard drive?
Can you imagine what'll happen in 20 years on those rubber washers?

I just had a hard drive fail on an older computer. It was perfectly fine when I last fired it up. 2 days? CLANK CLANK CLANK.

#1588 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

They are fine for a blown out field. They should not be used on a mildly worn field, and should never be called a restoration. Restoring something means bringing it back closer to its original state.

I cringe when I see the term restoration and hardtop used in the same breath.

Hardtop should be last resort when the playfield is beat and there is no other options.

It changes the gameplay, full stop. Every single game I have played with a hardtop was notably different than a standard playfield or cleared playfield.

This goes for playfields with OLD DULL mylar too. I pulled the mylar off a Data East Playboy and it was a night and day difference in speed.

#1593 9 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Clearcoat changes gameplay too. Full stop. Yet nobody seems to have a problem with clearcoated games.

As someone who has actually personally clear coated a few playfields I have NOT noted a radical change of gameplay between clearcoated and nonclearcoated. I have noted it with hardtop playfields.

When there is no alternative, I had no problem with a hardtop. I have a problem with people using the term RESTORED when a pin with a hardtop is nothing of the sort.

#1601 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What a minute. Are you saying that the CPR mirror finish is more like buying a can of "chrome" spray paint with the mirror finish on the cap and when you spray all you get is silver paint?
Am I understanding you correctly?

Correct.

The Centaur "mirrored" backglass I purchased is nothing of the sort, more like silver paint.

The Flash Gordon one I purchase a year before was clearly mirror, no comparison between the two.

#1603 9 months ago
Quoted from mof:

OH REALLLLLLLLLYYYYYY........

I do love to upgrade my use of grammar and vocabulary, so I'm ALL ears. I appreciate that you see an upgrade here for pinball vocabulary. Let's hear it!
Human Being Law #56A: "If you need to remove a toy out from a toddler's hand, you MUST replace it with something else, (or you will make your problems much worse.)"
If you want to take away (from those of us who restore games) "restoration" for a playfield swap, as a general term ffs, what do you propose using as the upgraded term? Anything less than proposing an upgrade, is just annoying as F to everyone involved.
"I restore games..." (and I just did a playfield swap)
"I just did a 120 hour restoration on High Speed, with a playfield swap."
Improve those sentences for us (as examples) so they don't hurt your ears...
Yes we ALL know that a swap isn't a playfield restoration TECHNICALLY, but it gets the point across. Wondering where you saw making a great improvement to our pinball world here... I can't wait.
thanks,
-mof

Hell of a reach there. In automotive circles it's acceptable to swap out comparable parts when restoring a vehicle. A new playfield is a direct comparable part, a playfield with a hardtop installed on it is not. No one "restores" pop bumper caps, they simply replace them with a comparable part.

Call it a refurbished pin with a hardtop and leave it at that, it's a perfectly acceptable description.

If I showed up at you home to purchase a "restored game" and arrived to find out it had an undisclosed hardtop I'd be leaving without it.

#1606 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds like an extreme example of bait and switch.

Pretty sure he changed the description after, it's nothing more than silver paint.

#1607 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Amazing how one word, "restoration" has generated so much verbiage.

How is a hardtop different than a playfield protector? In my eyes the only real difference between the two is one has art printed on the backside.

#1612 9 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Playfield protector can be removed? Hardtop is permanent.

Effectively the playing surface is identical.

#1619 9 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, one is a protector, the other is a replacement.

As I stated above, from a game play point of view.

#1621 9 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

I agree. But, CPR had the same description for both products…gray paint and mirror.

I suspect the games that had actual mirrored backglasses can be done because the process and masks are already in place.

The games that did not have mirroring but are now being offered are nothing more than "silver paint" because there is no extra cost or extra process in making them.

I might be using the wrong nomenclature, there is some inks & paints that are fairly reflective and I have actually worked with some of them but chrome or mirror they are not. At best you get like a dull chrome like finish.

#1626 9 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

remember guys, if you take the original playfield out and replace it with a newly manufactured one with clearcoat it IS a restoration. If you leave the original playfield in but make it just like a new playfield with very similar characteristics of a clearcoated playfield it IS NOT a restoration. LOGIC!

So everyone who has played a game with a hardtop and noted the exact same odd behavior I have is just a crazy right?

Good to know.

#1630 9 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Everyone? I see way way more people saying they look and play great and its always just boomery old grumps who yell at the clouds about how bad they are. I'm in tune with games, probably to a fault. If it played radically different or poorly I'd be the first to notice. They play good.

I have tried four now, ALL of them exhibited odd ball behavior.

Your argument boils down to "my opinion is valid and yours is not so screw off boomer" regardless how many people don't hold your opinion.

I'm done before I post something unfortunate.

#1660 9 months ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Wrong. Getaway never had mirror, yet it is real mirror.

Happy for you, my Centaur wasn't and other people have pointed out they are in the same boat.

Maybe he started out with real mirroring and got away from it, I'd say "ask Kevin" but doubtless that will get you an hour long phone call and no answer.

#1677 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My question: Since the OG play field will be gone, the back glass already replaced, and a cabinet swap, is it a restoration or a Frankenstein pin?

Going back to the "car-gument" this often comes up and I have often thought about it with my own car. Since obtaining the car I have swapped out the rear, transmission and engine a few times, have new bumpers, door handles and other odds and ends, a fender, door and hood have been replaced (though I have original hood) it's been painted twice, has seats from three different cars, door panels from another, etc, etc. Since I don't look at my car as an investment and it was already bastardized when I purchased back in the 80's I don't care.

The general consensus is if it is returned to the factory configuration even if the parts are not original it is considered restored. A fender from a GTX is a fender from a GTX is a fender from a GTX, a change that makes no difference. There are cars that are in the "rarefied collector" sector where "original parts and paint" bring a premium but that is a very, very small slice of the market.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1690 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

but a fiberglass repro fender isn't as good as a steel repro or NOS. It might have utility for weight reduction if you plan to race it, but its not the preferred way on a restore.

Correct. It's not "as delivered or equivalent" from the factory.

1 week later
#1702 8 months ago

A note to JJP from someone who owns 30+ pinball machines.

I'll not buy a single JJP product till Micro is gone OR JJP offers a substantial warranty on the playfield.

You're dead to me till then.

#1709 8 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Why is QAing playfields a lot of work?

Because it is far cheaper to simply say "Sorry you are out of luck"

#1728 8 months ago
Quoted from newovad:

I'm sure folks will stockpile a few since they didn't make many of this game for scratch builds. The real curious question is who is going to make a playfield harness?

I could but have zero interest in supporting micro in any form.

3 weeks later
#1783 7 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

So, Mirco is just going to continue refusing to return cottonm4's playfield.

I'd love to see a picture of the guy in handcuffs.

1 month later
#1861 6 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

For better or worse, not much has changed.

Well that is because Micro is still being Micro.

#1908 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I want to see my play field, or play fields, before I say anything, but the white ink on my Dragonfist was not the clearest. Sort of like the ink was a little thin and bled some. I was hoping to see that corrected but apparently it looks like it was not.
What I do notice from this pic is that Mirco is still sanding his play fields with the heavier grit sandpaper. You can see the sanding marks in the inserts. Especially in the red insert on the right. The heavier grit sanding leaves the inserts cloudy. Both my Quicksilver play fields had inserts sanded like this.
[quoted image]
With this other pic, you can see the white ink does not look clear. It looks fuzzy. The whites look exactly like my play field. Even though it has been 3 years, I remember the fuzzy white ink.
[quoted image]

How does something like this get through "quality control" ? The fonts used should at least all be the same shape & size.

#1910 6 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Every. Facking. Playfield he does has something like this. I mean, once or twice? Sure, I can see that. But the about of times he seems to have artwork issues really beats the odds. Like they're ALL "rush jobs".
Which is amusing, since he had the donor PF for 3 years, and was "working on the art" forever.

When I touched up my Seawitch and had to redo the bonus text it was child's play to determine font and sized used and duplicate so that it matched the bonus text that was not degraded.

I'm just astounded it's so blown out.

#1912 6 months ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Quality Control....
[quoted image]

Quotation marks used for a reason.

#1915 6 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

He will say but it's with in lines lol

It's factory, so all good.

#1935 6 months ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Nope, not if cleared correctly.

My Seawitch playfield was cleared and then getting slammed by people 3 weeks after it was sprayed at Pintastic. 2 years later it still looks great.

#1982 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have planted a post in the upper left arch area to check for pooling.

What is it torqued too?

#1997 6 months ago
Quoted from Warzard:

I wonder if Mirco, who read pinside and use it, could share his side of the story and answer to the other questions/critics.

You give Micro too much credit, he has made his "side" plain in how he treats people.

#2002 6 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

I'm pretty sure his side of the story is that he has his plate full with JJP.

He announced 5 more titles coming out so I call bullshit on that.

#2044 6 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Is Mirco holding another playfield hostage?
I don’t disagree that some (maybe all) of these reproduction playfields need some corrections, but how Cotton is reporting them seems to be the best way to do it, in order to help other Pinsiders who want a Dragonfist and helping Mirco hopefully correct them. I’m doing the same with White Water (I know others before me have done the same, but not all issues were caught).
I’m just grateful a reproduction of a playfield I need is available and looks crisp and sharp. Makes me want to help improve it for others, not bash Mirco because something might have been missed.

Actually yes he is as has been documented.

Lie down with a dog don't whine if you get up with fleas.

Pinside_forum_7482600_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7482600_0 (resized).jpg
#2084 6 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

It's encouraging when the argument stoops to ad hominem.
Be productive, get more details on the djblouw Centaur playfield
Dragon Fist is done here

Shill.

#2108 6 months ago
Quoted from Davi:

Mirco is using a state of the art machinery. It's not based on rumour it's a fact (I don't want to break an NDA).
In manufacturing industry, for a good result, machine is only one element.
Man, machine, method. If one of these is weak, the end results is also weak.

If the guy is making playfields for JJP, then he has some production capacity to roll playfields out in volume.

#2111 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Agreed. He does have something new for making plastics. I treat most emails as proprietary. I don't want to reveal what I was told in an email but he does have something new for making plastics.

It looks like he attaches a sheet of plastic that has the art printed on it to a foam block and then it is cnc machined out.

2 weeks later
#2132 5 months ago

Pooling or silicone washers under certain posts?

#2135 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is is pooling in that For Sale thread. All I see are two inlane guide holes pooling. But more will probably come. That pin needs the rubber washer treatment.

The comment section is of the opinion it is pooling, the seller never states it is.

The washers CAN give the illusion of pooling.

I'm no defender of Micro, if I'm going to accuse someone of something it's best to be sure.

Pinside_forum_6845225_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6845225_1 (resized).jpg

Pinside_forum_6849295_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6849295_0 (resized).jpg
#2137 5 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looks like all the posts have silicon washers under them. I'm not seeing any pooling in those 2 photos...just the washers.

Those pictures are of my playfield, all the posts have washers. The clear was very hard for what it is worth, I tested in area off the ball travel surface.

#2140 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Good point. It could be silicone washers. But it sure looks like pooling. To me, anyway.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It looks like someone overtightened the posts to me causing the washers to bulge out.

They are rather soft and you have to be careful cranking them down or they can squish out a notable amount.

1 month later
#2170 4 months ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

It might not be true for all types of clearcoat but a car painter told me that normally the clear dries in like x hours (can't remember exactly his stated time) and that all extra "dry time" is unnecessary.

To some degree yes. There is a small amount of shrinkage but it should be hard in a fairly short period of time.

My Seawitch done with Spraymax 2K was being hammered by 500 people in 48 hours with only a months dry time and 2 years later still looks great.

4 weeks later
#2199 3 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

And then what?
Another posted picture of the back of his head ?

Show up with cops and demand property back.

2 weeks later
#2240 87 days ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

This one looks more like a clear coated over overlay.
You can see the halo around the switch cut out.
I remember trying these out back in 2004 when they came out with a similar result and never thought about using one again.

I often wonder why people even try, you are gambling so much on the adhesive and quality of material used.. long odds indeed.

1 week later
#2305 75 days ago
Quoted from Pastor69:

Same with my Medieval Madness playfield recently bought in january.
I have a feeling this might not even be Mirco himself, but one of his shitty employees. Good chance someone sent the playfield back after seeing the insert stuff, and then a dumbass employee saw your order and grabbed the faulty returned playfield anyway..

Doesn't explain Micro stiffing people for years on end of thier property.

At the end of the day it's his business and the fact these issues continue after years of complaints makes it Micros fault. Full stop.

#2309 75 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

I hear you when you say it's not about the money, thought you might get a kick out of how I handled a problem with a Theatre of Magic playfield I got from him a while ago.
[quoted image]

Doesn't even burn well.

#2327 74 days ago
Quoted from ottodawg:

It's too bad they won't just sell you a "raw" playfield sans clearcoat. The material & artwork seem mostly ok, then you could just add your own CC job...

Several pictures clearly show the art not adhering to the wood.

97d9127d5717e6db3c6e2b30e1ec306b113fe3a2 (resized).jpg97d9127d5717e6db3c6e2b30e1ec306b113fe3a2 (resized).jpg
#2330 74 days ago
Quoted from ottodawg:

Well in that picture it appears the CC adhered to the green, but the green didn't adhere to the white layer underneath. Looks like the white is still adhered to the wood. Regardless, I wonder if they are rushing them to CC before the artwork ha time to setup. Just speculating, I have no clue about the actual process..

The art did not stick regardless so if it was cleared or not does not matter.

Pinside_forum_8023736_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_8023736_0 (resized).jpg
#2344 72 days ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Cant wait to hear the responses from Mirco.

Don't hold your breath.

#2353 72 days ago

"Washers under posts are still a must, regardless of manufacturer (even Stern). If you disagree, then kudos for not being OCD about your game"

My Seawitch which I did the playfield has no washers and was beat to death by the public for 48 hours at Pintastic and still looks fantastic 3 years later.

#2388 67 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Absurd. The QC there is headed by blind monkeys…

You are assuming there is any.

#2417 66 days ago

I did my own Flash Gordon, it took awhile but a rewarding experience. All the inserts were replaced among other things.

20231225_164155 (1) (resized).jpg20231225_164155 (1) (resized).jpg
#2421 66 days ago
Quoted from EntityClay:

Is this your first restoration? It looks fantastic!

Actually yes the first I started, took a break to build up skill set and then finished this year. I learned how to use an air brush, vinyl cutter and frisket. All the insert keylines and numbers were done with an airbrush and stencils.

It's not perfect but none would notice and lightning fast, you can play it at Pintastic this year when I show up with 2 other scratch pins as well.

20240123_181422 (resized).jpg20240123_181422 (resized).jpg
#2444 65 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Speculation... but it seems to be more practical than "oh, we didn't know..."

Really strange to do the cnc operation twice, just asking for trouble. As pointed out, could have been done to fix one problem but introduces others.

#2473 61 days ago
Quoted from KJS:

Patrick Powers
Director of Service
Patrick Powers (Stern Pinball)
Feb 22, 2024, 1:15 PM CST
Hi Kurt,
The quality department viewed your video and said your playfield falls within the manufacturing specifications. I looked at several playfields in-house (pictures attached) and they look similar to yours.
Thank you,
Patrick Powers
Director of Service
Tech Support 800.542.5377

That is a pretty pathetic response.

All the playfields we make equally suck so you're out of luck.

#2479 61 days ago
Quoted from Anony:

Stern does not do quality control on every machine.

Based on what I have seen I'd be surprised that they do any.

#2503 60 days ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

The playfield is fine. You can zoom in to any playfield and right lighting and find squiggly things.
Honestly this hobby is weird. Just play the fucking game

Stern made better playfields in the past, what was posted is just garbage.

#2508 60 days ago
Quoted from Jigz:

Come on now, that playfield may be fine but the clearcoat is trash. I could rattle can one better with my eyes closed.

Rattle can clear before final wet sand and buff.

Pinside_forum_7944390 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7944390 (resized).jpg
#2515 60 days ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

I would take the offer and return the machine. Social media pressure will not do anything in my book.

Stern doesn't care.

From their point of view they sell every single pin they produce so why would they lift a finger?

I'd send the pin back myself, I know you don't want to but otherwise it's just supporting Stern's attitude towards the public.

We will feed you crap and you will like it. They clearly have forgotten the downturn in the economy that almost put them out of business several years ago.

#2538 58 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's the orange peel stranger things playfield's world now, the rest of us just live in it.

For some reason I saw that as "orange peel stripper" which is something I really don't wish to contemplate.

#2576 57 days ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

I resemble that remark.

I find my table saw makes it easy to turn free wood into usable product.

#2579 57 days ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

My plasma cutter does that with metal.

Mine too along with a chop saw =)

Lots of free stuff comes in at work and as a receiver I get to keep it.

#2597 56 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:LOL. You havent been paying attention.
I'm not sure he's that... smart. Look what he did to HEP.

Bingo.

And sadly that might have just been the best one in stock.

#2608 55 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

But once you do have that experience, you simply cannot go back to "off the shelf" clear jobs. What a curse.

The Flash Gordon I just completed after 3 years is an off the chain riot that plays wickedly fast and smooth.

#2611 55 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

In all fairness, one would have to assume your Flash was completely clapped out and worn out. Anything would seem wickedly fast after that.
If you've played on a professionally (not off the shelf) cleared table and you think it's equivalent, then that's a win for you!

I have 2 Flash Gordon's thanks, the first has a brand new CPR playfield in it.

$5k machine is NOT clapped out.

20240123_181422 (resized).jpg20240123_181422 (resized).jpgpinside.13366fd7c2143e3375ce653efa167ef7e046c37c (resized).jpgpinside.13366fd7c2143e3375ce653efa167ef7e046c37c (resized).jpg

#2634 53 days ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

In essence nothing will change. Move along, nothing to see here.

Which is why I'll not buy another playfield from Mirco despite being someone whom voraciously builds classic Stern and Bally pins from scratch.

I got lucky and purchased a Quicksilver which to date has no issues with the finish but I'm so utterly disgusted in how Mirco has treated people with problems that I vowed not to support such a vendor further.

Not one dime, which means any company whom uses his products (JJP) is also out of luck.

2 weeks later
#2681 37 days ago
Quoted from Anony:

He's using a damn CNC machine, how the hell do things not line up? Or do those guide holes on the bottom get drilled in by hand? If so he should be using templates to ensure they line up every time.

I just built a scratch built Fathom and had a second Fathom playfield for reference and it was astounding that both factory playfields were spot on identical. Posts, cuts, holes, etc were perfect between them.

Made a playfield protector and it was easy going back and forth to check.

#2686 35 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Nope there's always dimples that are off. The remakes they use originals to plot the dimples but they're always off. I prefer none as well.

I pay no mind to the dimples at all.

1 month later
#2791 2 days ago
Quoted from ottodawg:

Yeah I worked for Lear Jet. I was an avionics guy, not a painter. I just remember when they were spraying Imron, evacuate the area.. We had a Russian guy that would shoot it without a respirator, I'm sure he's dead now..

Knew a off the books painter whom shot this stuff, ended up with a bunch of tumors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 1,059.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orinda, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Valley, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.