IMG_5325 (resized).JPG
IMG_5324 (resized).JPG
IMG_5323 (resized).JPG
IMG_5322 (resized).JPG
IMG_5321 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_7814217_11 (resized).jpg
IMG_7054 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #583 Mirco failure photos. Posted by ForceFlow (2 years ago)

Post #703 Alternate Playfield Restoration service Posted by petebest (1 year ago)

Post #795 List of Mirco playfield issues by HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #896 Response form PPS concerning playfield issues Posted by PPS (1 year ago)

Post #940 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Post #1045 Peeling clearcoat Posted by Warzard (1 year ago)

Post #1096 quicksliver clearcoat failure under posts Posted by gdonovan (1 year ago)

Post #1097 Black Knight clearcoat failure under posts Posted by wolffcub (1 year ago)

Post #1119 Example of another playfield company standing behind their products Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Post #1123 Response from Mirco Posted by Highclasspinball (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1016 1 year ago

Well, one action that would have value, would be to actually record all defects (description, pictures), the email sent to Mirco, and his response.

That way there is a customer story log, and PPS has access to the exchanges and can see for himself (and can't state - I did not know about it).

It could be a central repository hosted on a Github, or a Google spreadsheet or equivalent, locked and maintained by one individual (maybe the OP of this thread, or even better, High_End_Pins whose credibility is super high), or a few individuals if the number of response is too high.

It should also contain the good and the bad, so that if there's a positive evolution, it can be seen. Because after all, as much as we complain, at this point we have very few alternatives, if any at all. So it is in everyone benefit that Mirco quality improve. If this is even possible in the first place though.

And this list would be accessible on the first page of this thread, so that newcomers could have some historical data, and not search through miles and miles of threads.

#1076 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

That’s a tough one. I haven’t seen too many perfect playfields. It’s not a matter of dollars and cents its more luck than anything.
When I get playfields I often overlook a lot of things others might take issue with because I can take care of it.
When I can’t then I seek replacements. Not money or refunds that won’t fix my issues.
Sometimes I am successful other times not.
I know it’s not popular to say this right here but I will say I have had better luck in that department with Mirco than CPR if you want honest input and aren’t trolling. Not always but at least occasionally.
That’s true feedback from someone that has bought a lot of product with no agenda.

Could it be that he's been more reasonable and open with you because of your reputation and standing in the community, vs the average Joe customer buying his product and complain?

#1093 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I wish that would buy me some goodwill but it rarely has any effect.
I never try to leverage that I am not that kind of guy.
It’s never been beneficial mostly a burden honestly.
Far more ask things of you than offer you anything.
I have bought a lot of playfields and any observation or criticism is coming from a point of knowledge so I definitely don’t just take any old excuse or less than fair resolution without protest.

I'm sure you're not doing it on purpose, but the fact remains that I have seldom heard of customers getting satisfactory support from Mirco on what would be otherwise called "defective products". This thread is full of people posting his response. So there's no deniying that if you managed to get some support from him, it's likely because he's considering you as "someone to care for"

Quoted from Gman3:

With no agenda, I have had dozens and dozens of WPC and newer NOS Playfields in my hands at one point or another. Prototypes, Production, Sample, Diamond Plate, LS Topcoat or whatever you can label everything. I've seen playfields from nearly all the restorers out there. At no point have I ever come across a perfect playfield. There is always something you can find if you want, depending on how anal retentive you want to be that day.
That being said, there are some things that can be tolerated and obviously some things that are not, but I do feel that whether it's IPB, Mirco, CPR or whoever, there is no exact science that will produce a perfect playfield every time.
As was mentioned by Chris H. earlier, there is quite a bit of luck sometimes involved to get the very best playfield you possibly can. I have installed Mirco playfields for what I guess has been over 15 + years and if I've had an issue, I've approached him in a way that would find a resolution and be fair. I'm appreciative that someone is investing tons of money and resources into producing fields for all these blown out games and through these efforts, games are getting rebuilt to new condition after nearly 30 - 50 years out of production.
I do feel that the situation has not become easier with companies gouging hobbyists for 'Collector Edition' games at outrageous prices, yet, they don't want to listen to 'Collector Level' demands. If I pay 15 K for a new game, I damn well better have a perfect playfield. At 8-9 K, my anal retentiveness is dialed down a bit.
For what it's worth, If I was a playfield manufacturer or pinball manufacturer, I would simply upcharge for the perfect playfields that do seem to luckily present themselves and then the rest of the playfields in the world that have issues are just at the regular price. If there none out there, then people know they are getting fields that are 2nd rate.
I remember everyone back in the day buying the IPB seconds and thirds, they were happy to get a replacement field, knew it had issues and thankful to fix their game. They were advertised that way and really were not that much cheaper than the perfect ones. Once the 'firsts' were gone, they were gone. Everyone knew what to expect with what was still left to be purchased.
Problem I see is, people pay $800-1000 and all of them want a perfect new playfield and that just is not realistic. Too much random luck involved. I'm sure if these guys want to produce "magnifying glass level perfect fields", the cost would be astronomical and then most hobbyists wouldn't be able to afford replacement playfields. Then nobody is fixing their blown out games and companies are not producing fields.
Not sure if any of this helps, but just my thoughts.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

There is a difference between "small tolerable defect", "perfect", and "defective". Are we asking for Mirco to provide "perfect" playfield, I'm sure none of us are. However, we expect them to provide playfields which cannot be considered as "defective".

By defective I mean:
- Material that is not durable over time
- Obviously incorrect artwork (lettering, colors, etc). He has the files, he can fix them. And his excuse "it's in the files provided to me" is kind of silly... If it was there in the original production of the machine, then... this means the file he's got are incorrect and he needs to fix them.
- Holes position that prevent usage of the playfield

Fortunately, 3/ above does not seem too frequent (although, I did have an example of a MM playfield with a massive hole where there should not be one... and to be fair, he did provide a replacement as far as I know)

But 1/ and 2/ are all too frequent.

Missing text on the TZ playfield: would you consider this as acceptable ? If it were coming straight from a manufacturer, when buying a machine, would you accept this ?

Willie's vampire teeth on indiana Jones (on top of that in an area which is very visible by the player), again, easy to fix, just need to spend the time doing it (although looking at the post earlier it seems he might actually have fixed it ?).

All the more since the feedback has been made to him on multiple occasions, and he's simply dismissed it.

Color reproduction was perfect on his first runs (I happen to have a picture of a first run MM Mirco playfield), but has major issues since he changed his production process, probably because he did not bother recalibrating it (take a look at the paved road at the bottom on MM). To be fair, CGC remake are not good either in that department, but they perfectly align (again, I have access to a CGC NOS playfield, you can clearly see the quality of the alignement vs Mirco)

And lastly: material not durable. I would guess this is the number one complaint. Buying a 1200 euro playfield, going through the pain of swapping it, only to find out that the clearcoat cracks/peels after a few weeks/months is not acceptable.

Buthamburg has stellar quality compared to Mirco, AND they are cheaper. If only they had more capacity (and hopefully they will after moving to their new facility), and resource to offer more models, we would not have this conversation because everyone would buy from them with no second thought.

If PPS was enforcing some level of quality control in his licencing contract (to avoid brand reputation damage for ex), then it would force everyone to at least pay attention. For that matter, "licensed" now holds no meaning to me whatsoever. There has been examples in various groups of licensed product having subpar quality compared to non licensed products (not all, I won't go as far, I'm just stating that "licenced" does not mean "quality").

#1095 1 year ago
Quoted from robin:

There's no secret here. Mirco runs a Pinside shop, and pays a commission over his sales. He gets no special treatment, and the mere fact that all these threads are allowed to exist (rather than being removed for monetary reasons) should be enough evidence that I'm always on the side of the Pinside community. I hope you realize this.
I have been asked numerous times why I allow Mirco to keep selling playfields via a Pinside shop, in light of the complaints and issues people have been posting about. The simple truth is this: the number of orders/sales Mirco gets via Pinside do not match the number of complaints I see on Pinside. Far from it. That tells me that the issues are still an anomaly and not the norm.
That's not to say there are no issues! There are plenty of documented cases here on Pinside (some posted by respected Pinsiders) that tell a different story. And especially in the customer service department, Mirco's reputation on Pinside isn't exactly immaculate.
It is my hope that by allowing constructive discussion, manufacturers can learn and improve their products and, maybe even more important, their customer service and QA. On the other hand, mob mentality can sometimes over-amplify rare issues which is also undesirable.
To level the playing field (pun intended) for manufacturers and Pinsiders alike, I have been considering adding the option for product reviews to Pinside Shops. It will help establish a sense of which products are good or, uhm, not so good. It will award good customer service. It will disclose bad business ethics. And by only allowing actual customers to post reviews, you can be sure the review is legit. The system could also show when people send stuff back or if they got a refund, i.e. full transparency.
...pIn closing, and for no particular reason other than to look cool, I'll end with a great quote from Warren Buffet: "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently."

Pinside is english speaking centric. I know a lot of FR pinheads who are not on Pinside, because they don't speak/write english. Likewise in Germany, Spain, Italy. And given that Mirco is EU based, a lot of PF are being sold across Europe, for which it's unlikely you will see complaints here on Pinside. Also, people might post of an issue into the relevant owner thread, and not in this particular "Mirco focused complaint thread".

Also, it's not only the product quality which is being questioned, it's the response given when an issue arise which is problematic.

But to be able to move forward, having a "review" section on Pinside would help, especially if pinsiders were informed about it and could write a non biaised review (positive or negative), as long as they provide detailed information (pictures, good or bad, etc).

Works both ways, at least there will be some statistical data (if reviews are in high enough number) of whether there are really widespread issues, of if the issues are anomalies.

3 months later
#1673 9 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Because it's impractical and costly for US customers to engage in legal action, especially internationally. Since you're in the EU, you might have a better chance with something like that.

Even in EU it's not straightforward, as each country as it's own law. The governing law in the case of Mirco is Germany. There is a settlement EU body which helps in case of dispute, but they have no legal authority.

The only way is to file a complaint locally in Germany. I'm not sure there is a similar mechanism as a class action lawsuit as there is in the US.

With regards to the non returned playfield, I would tend to think you can simply file a complaint. I need to check if it involves any fee, but even if it does it's probably nominal. Mirco will receive a nice letter stating that he is keeping property that do not belong to him. Whether he decides to comply and return the playfield (in a good shape) is another matter entirely, he of course knows no one can enforce unless taken to the next level, which requires a legal lawsuit for theft, but he might consider this is too much of a hassle vs returning the unit.

Just a word there: I know from past experience in dealing with one international supplier, they all think you will fold if they push hard enough. You have to stand your ground, and be prepared to lay cash to get there. In my case, the supplier was asking for a 200 euro bill for a service he had not delivered. I had the European organization I referred to involved, the supplier stand their ground. And then I received a letter from a firm specialized in recovering debt. I gave them a call, explained all of the history, clearly told them that if they wanted to go that route I would go to court, no matter the cost (it was on principle, I was willing to pay far more than 200 euros just to get them straight). The guy on the phone apologized, stated "there's no need to go to court", and I never heard from them anymore.

Sidenote: Mirco does show up at European events. He did at "Le Treport", along with Jack from JJP. And he pretty much does show up at every "Le Treport" event. But getting nasty at an event won't help a bit IMO, first you'll have the event organizer on your back in no time (because Mirco and JJP still have a standing), second in a state of law, only due process will get you what is your right.

Here is a link to the European body that can help you navigate this, and where you can file your complaint:
https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/?event=main.complaints.new&complainttype=1&consumer-question3=N

#1695 9 months ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Not disputes. Police reports. I will gladly support you in filling it in. I'm native german.

Even better. Keeping someone else property is reason enough for a police report. Everyone in the same situation should indeed use this. I pointed the link since it's in international language, but if a native german offers to help, all the best

Now for all with PF defects, it would clearly fall, IMO, into the "dispute" category. You can use the link I provided. If a sufficient number of people complain, maybe (I'm not privy to the inner workings of this european union organization) this will trigger higher scrutiny.

2 months later
#1851 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The last I saw of minipinhead was over on the Kruzman thread. From things MPH said on the Kruzman thread I do not in any way think he is Mirco in hiding ( I have not revealed all of my emails with Mirco ). I don't know how he got his info but I don't think he is Mirco.
If Mirco proceeds to screw me over then I will reveal the emails.

You might want to set a deadline, because at this rate he might say "next week", then again "end of the week", over and over. The psychological aspect is that we all try to get our investment back (in your case a playfield), and do not wish to burn all bridges in the hope of getting this investment back. This leads to a never ending waiting game (speaking of experience, for another matter entirely, not related to pinball nor Mirco, but I had the same attitude).

Setting a deadline to you and Mirco will put the stake in the ground. True, past this deadline, you can probably kiss your playfield goodbye (unless legal action is taken), but at least you move forward, you don't wait forever in the hope that something will happen, you just call it a loss, and proceed with whatever action you deem relevant (publishing email content, legal action to german authorities, etc).

I know in my case that's what I did. I did lose a fair amount of money, but my mind is much more at rest now. And that's priceless.

#1862 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I can set a deadline, but what good would it do? I am in the middle of Kansas in the middle of the USA. Mirco is on the opposite side of the globe.
Earlier, it has been discussed about suing him. But I have not yet wrapped my head around taking that action. I have yet to hear of any lawsuit this did not cost money to get set up.
Mirco saying he expects to ship at the end of next week is at least something new in his line of shit. Of course, Mirco never speaks in concrete terms; It is always the wishy-washy should, could, expect to, if A then B.

Depends on your mindset and your intent.

If you can live with this situation as long as it takes, without having an impact on your personal mental health, well indeed there's no point in setting a deadline.
If however, like me, you tend to turn things in your head over and over, then the best move is to just be done with it. Call it a loss, set a deadline to Mirco and just disclose all the history once the deadline is past. If by chance this makes Mirco moves forward and send you back your playfield to avoid further backlash, well then everything is fine. If not, this means he would likely not have sent anything anyway. And once this situation is off your chest, you'll be better for it. I know I was. But yes you lose your playfield in this case.

4 months later
#2371 71 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You always have the choice.
If you know the PF was going to self destruct in 100 plays; would you buy it at over 1000usd? Do you really want to run the risk that he screws you by shipping a "manufacturing defect" as new and as a usa person - have no option to return it or get a replacment?
Your reasoning is exactly the reason this dorkwad continues to stay in business and screw your fellow pinball fanatics.
The Indiana Jones PFs are really questionable. We've seen numerous pictures of how bad the art quality is on Mirco's PF. Look at this threads topic gallery and you'll probably see those examples.
It's your money; but, if it were me... I'd rather disassemble the current PF and pay a good vendor to touch up the existing PF and put a nice clearcoat on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,159.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 21.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.