IMG_5325 (resized).JPG
IMG_5324 (resized).JPG
IMG_5323 (resized).JPG
IMG_5322 (resized).JPG
IMG_5321 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_7814217_11 (resized).jpg
IMG_7054 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,795 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 56.
#351 2 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

Has anyone purchased a playfield recently from Mirco (within the last 6 months) and had any issues with pooling or chipping after installing it?

I have a Quicksilver that was purchased end of last year, still in the box.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You really don't grasp concepts well.
Your asking them to customize a product in a special way. They have to make it special, process it special, and order / use extra inserts they may not have.
200extra was more than reasonable. Your lucky they even agree to entertain your request
Try asking the yahoos at high class to do this

All i was asking for was to put in clear inserts instead of colored ones, simple. They dont "make" or "process" it special. Not sure why you consider this so "special" a small handling charge from cpr was expected not a knife in the guts. But Mirco responded, same price doing a run of them soon. I Had my pf within 2 months

#353 2 years ago
Quoted from earetz:

They dont "make" or "process" it special.

You clearly do not understand how manufacturing works.
Your request was frought with issues for the manufacturing line.
Then for you to come here in another vendors complaint thread and try and make them look bad speaks more about you than them.

I am truly sorry you didn't get you way, because we wouldn't hear about it.

#354 2 years ago

Great hopefully you don’t have the clear lifting around your posts in a couple months after all
The time and money to swap a PF. And you want to thanks this guy saying risk vs reward?

Quoted from earetz:

All i was asking for was to put in clear inserts instead of colored ones, simple. They dont "make" or "process" it special. Not sure why you consider this so "special" a small handling charge from cpr was expected not a knife in the guts. But Mirco responded, same price doing a run of them soon. I Had my pf within 2 months

#355 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Thanks Mirco for the quality playfield… less than 100 plays
[quoted image]

I can do the customer service email from him for you:

“Djsolzs, you have tightened the posts too much, this should have been obvious to you, this is not my fault - it’s yours. Bye”

#356 2 years ago

Lol I already know. I paid to have this done by a gentleman here on pinside who regularly restores and swaps PFs . This game was actually documented here on pinside. They were not I I know cause we discussed the topic.

Again no ownership here or for JJP games. I don’t expect to see it at any point. Just a warning to others.

Quoted from mufcmufc:

I can do the customer service email from him for you:
“Djsolzs, you have tightened the posts too much, this should have been obvious to you, this is not my fault - it’s yours. Bye”

#357 2 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

Has anyone purchased a playfield recently from Mirco (within the last 6 months) and had any issues with pooling or chipping after installing it?

Open lines of communication with the guy if you are thinking about buying a playfield from him. There are so many threads on here warning you not to do it.

#358 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You really don't grasp concepts well.
Your asking them to customize a product in a special way. They have to make it special, process it special, and order / use extra inserts they may not have.
200extra was more than reasonable. Your lucky they even agree to entertain your request
Try asking the yahoos at high class to do this

I had this done by Mirco. I asked for inserts to be changed out to a different color on a Gorgar. Had Playfield 4 weeks later. No additional Charge

#359 2 years ago

CPR playfields are no better. I have a restored Medusa done in 2018 with a CPR Gold playfield from 2016. The wood is shrinking and the inserts are raising. The machine has always been in a house or temperature controlled warehouse.

#360 2 years ago

I wanted to buy a Mirco playfield for my Addams Family.
I looked at the pictures and saw that there was a "typo" in the yellow box in the lower left corner.

I contacted them and asked, if they could correct it. I was told that they won't change anything.

For some this might not be a big deal, but I won't buy a TAF from them.

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from all_pinball:

I looked at the pictures and saw that there was a "typo" in the yellow box in the lower left corner

Mechanix? That typo was intentional and was there on original games.

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=73228&zoom=1

#362 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

CPR playfields are no better. I have a restored Medusa done in 2018 with a CPR Gold playfield from 2016. The wood is shrinking and the inserts are raising. The machine has always been in a house or temperature controlled warehouse.

I think most people concede manufacturing from any company be it Stern, Mirco, JJP, Spooky etc are fraught with potential danger. What puts Mirco in a category of his own, is his utter dismissal of customer issues. My personal experience and many others, he just doesn't GAF.

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Mechanix? That typo was intentional and was there on original games.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=73228&zoom=1

They forgot to put spaces and wrote PatLawlor instead of Pat Lawlor.
As I said, not a big deal for some, but worth noting.

#364 2 years ago

I still remember the hole in the back of CV. Easily fixed and thankfully easily hidden but that is pretty major and should have at least sent out the fix.

2 weeks later
#365 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I still remember the hole in the back of CV. Easily fixed and thankfully easily hidden but that is pretty major and should have at least sent out the fix.

Late to the party, but I missed this. Are there details somewhere?

#367 2 years ago

Credit where credit is due; the hardware location dimples on the Micro Quicksilver playfield are lightyears better than the last playfield I did from another vendor.

Most locations are spot on. The other game I assembled? I could safely disregard all markings as they were 100% off. All of them.

#368 2 years ago

Bumping this up just to add another voice in the warning here. I purchased a Mirco PF and let it "cure" for 6 months. Installed it and within 2 months, the cure around EVERY post is pooling and chipping. And no, I did not overtighten these posts; I simply tightened them down just barely enough so they don't rotate.

Please note: my PF purchase was AFTER Mirco claimed to have "fixed" his CC issues and had a new "process" in place. I'm not saying don't buy from him; I am saying to beware of what you're getting and know that you're taking at least a 50% gamble if you don't re-clear.

#369 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Bumping this up just to add another voice in the warning here. I purchased a Mirco PF and let it "cure" for 6 months. Installed it and within 2 months, the cure around EVERY post is pooling and chipping.

Title and dates?

#370 2 years ago

Posts on Facebook indicate Mirco is going to be a TPF'22.
I remind people here ... don't buy from this company.
Not worth the risk of getting defective playfields.
Apparently JJP continues to pay them enough for them to fly in... although; I doubt he's going to ship PFs for sale at the show. which means people are going get suckered in.

#372 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Title and dates?

Quicksilver. Purchased 2/25/20

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Quicksilver. Purchased 2/25/20

Find out soon enough, I purchased one the end of last year and just finished making the wiring harness.

#374 2 years ago

I recommend adding these just for some protection gdonovan

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-700-0069-00-70

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-700-0070-00-70

Obviously it sucks to have to add extra things that cost more but I did have pooling on my 2020 Quicksilver (after 8 months of curing) which stopped after I went back and added these. It took a few months to start showing the pooling and chipping.

#375 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Find out soon enough, I purchased one the end of last year and just finished making the wiring harness.

Pretty clear you'll likely have the same problems. I'd have Ron fix it for you first, so the install is one and done.

Does it suck that you have to have a brand new playfield repaired with proper clearcoat? Yes. But it's part of the well-documented Mirco experience if you want to go that way.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#376 2 years ago

Anyone have experience with the micro bsd playfield? I need one sooner or later and haven't seen one available from other vendors.

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty clear you'll likely have the same problems. I'd have Ron fix it for you first, so the install is one and done.
Does it suck that you have to have a brand new playfield repaired with proper clearcoat? Yes. But it's part of the well-documented Mirco experience if you want to go that way.

1) That ship has sailed, it will be operational in the next week or two.

2) Some people have issues, some don't. Plenty of people have had zero issues. If 100% of his playfields chipped JJP would not be using his playfields, far too much liability.

If I have an issue I can re-clearcoat it myself thanks and I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If it happens you will hear about it in this thread undoubtedly.

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I recommend adding these just for some protection gdonovan
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-700-0069-00-70
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-700-0070-00-70
Obviously it sucks to have to add extra things that cost more but I did have pooling on my 2020 Quicksilver (after 8 months of curing) which stopped after I went back and added these. It took a few months to start showing the pooling and chipping.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Just on the posts that get ball strikes or all?

#379 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If I have an issue I can re-clearcoat it myself thanks and I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If it happens you will hear about it in this thread undoubtedly.

Looking forward to it.

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looking forward to it.

Somewhat negative view you have there pal, wishing misfortune on someone not a net positive.

#381 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thanks, I'll look into them.
Just on the posts that get ball strikes or all?

I ended up putting them on all the posts. Maybe overkill, maybe not. I was already doing most, so I figured I would just do them all. IIRC, even the upper posts of the rollover lanes up top had some pooling.

#382 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Some people have issues, some don't. Plenty of people have had zero issues. If 100% of his playfields chipped JJP would not be using his playfields, far too much liability.

JJP has changed their warranty to exclude playfields all together. Not sure what “liability” you’re referring too?

There are only a few companies that make playfields n JJP screwed things up with the other thus are (basically) stuck with Mirco.

#383 2 years ago

Never mind.

#384 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Somewhat negative view you have there pal, wishing misfortune on someone not a net positive.

I'm absolutely NOT hoping you have a bad experience, just being realistic. Mirco has a terrible track record, especially with Quicksilver. The odds are not in your favor. That's just the way it is.

I actually *hope* you're one of the lucky few (are there any lucky few for Mirco Quicksilver PFs?). So wishing fortune in your endeavor, but realistic enough to know you'll probably waste a ton of time having to take it all apart and have it fixed at your expense later because, like shingles, Mirco doesn't care.

#385 2 years ago

Comes off negative but I was thinking the same thing. I hope you don’t have issue. But if you do it will happen within 100 plays and would appreciate you reporting it.

Got me once and I’ve bought another PF prior I’m putting off installing since I found this issue in my installed one. Plus buddy bought same PF and has issues.

Quoted from gdonovan:

#386 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

JJP has changed their warranty to exclude playfields all together. Not sure what “liability” you’re referring too?
There are only a few companies that make playfields n JJP screwed things up with the other thus are (basically) stuck with Mirco.

I think CPR is willing, but I have no idea why JJP isn't at least TRYING CPR for their CE machines. Smaller run, supposedly more premium machine at a higher price. Make it the test for switching to CPR, or if they can't handle the volume and a CE test works out, just do CPR for all JJP CEs from here out.

#387 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think CPR is willing, but I have no idea why JJP isn't at least TRYING CPR for their CE machines. Smaller run, supposedly more premium machine at a higher price. Make it the test for switching to CPR, or if they can't handle the volume and a CE test works out, just do CPR for all JJP CEs from here out.

Or find the source for American and Spooky pins as they don’t have these playfield issues.

#388 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Or find the source for American and Spooky pins as they don’t have these playfield issues.

That's what the other poster was talking about. Spooky (and I think American's) supplier is Bader, who JJP royally pissed off when Bader playfields were having problems with ink adhesion on early WoZ. So, that bridge is burned.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I ended up putting them on all the posts. Maybe overkill, maybe not. I was already doing most, so I figured I would just do them all. IIRC, even the upper posts of the rollover lanes up top had some pooling.

Thanks for pointing these out, been installing them and might put them on all my projects now.

FWIW- The clear on this playfield strikes me on the hard side compared to what CPR uses.

When chamfering some holes it notable.

#390 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thanks for pointing these out, been installing them and might put them on all my projects now.

I don't recommend that.

HEP experience:
"Whoever is coming up with these “fixes” are doing themselves and their customers more harm than good.
It’s like “Oh the ink is lifting around that 1/2 inch washer. I have the solution here’s a 3/4 incher on the house”
Two months later “We are sorry to hear that the ink has lifted around that 3/4 inch washer. Here is a 1 inch washer. “
Before you know it the entire playfield is going to be covered in wrinkles and big washers."

He explained a solution (with pictures):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=High_End_Pins

#391 2 years ago

I actually put the #10 washers under the post, which are smaller than the post diameter. This way the outer part of the post itself does not press the clear coat and a potential wrinkle would be limited to the area under the post, caused by the washer. Same logic is also applied by Stern on the cabinet protectors for the legs. They are smaller than the legs.

Edit just so we don't slide off topic: This is no excuse for the miserable quality and customer service by Mirco.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:I don't recommend that.
HEP experience:
"Whoever is coming up with these “fixes” are doing themselves and their customers more harm than good.
It’s like “Oh the ink is lifting around that 1/2 inch washer. I have the solution here’s a 3/4 incher on the house”
Two months later “We are sorry to hear that the ink has lifted around that 3/4 inch washer. Here is a 1 inch washer. “
Before you know it the entire playfield is going to be covered in wrinkles and big washers."
He explained a solution (with pictures):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnrce-playfield-issues?tu=High_End_Pins

I'm more concerned with chipping than "ink lifting"

The slightly elastic washer will absorb some hit rather than transmit it fully to the clear surface.

This applies to any clearcoat playfield, I'm sure all of us have seen playfields where the posts have chewed the hell out of the surface. This is an experiment I wish to try and on its face a possible solution.

#393 2 years ago

Here is an easy way to ease your mind before swapping a pf. These are 2 that I bought from Mirco 6 or 8 months ago.

16477900668846713574765402283104 (resized).jpg16477900668846713574765402283104 (resized).jpg
#394 2 years ago

I mount a star post in hidden area, with nut and washer on backside, so I can really crank these down.
If no pooling around post here, it wont happen anywhere else.

1647790308033151145813177570652 (resized).jpg1647790308033151145813177570652 (resized).jpg1647790343040444286573676806770 (resized).jpg1647790343040444286573676806770 (resized).jpg
#395 2 years ago

And if it did happen to pool, I would mount every post to pf and let the pooling happen.
Use iron technique to flatten, and problem doesnt return.
I did this on a machine that we put in Pincinnati tournament this year. No way Id chance that abuse if I was concerned with recurrence.

#396 2 years ago

That works - unless it chips first. That’s my issue.

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

And if it did happen to pool, I would mount every post to pf and let the pooling happen.
Use iron technique to flatten, and problem doesnt return.
I did this on a machine that we put in Pincinnati tournament this year. No way Id chance that abuse if I was concerned with recurrence.

#397 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I mount a star post in hidden area

There's no art under those posts (between the clear coat and wood) in those hidden areas, so there's going to be no pooling. It's the introduction of digitally printed art between the clear coat and the wood, that allows the pooling to happen. This is why Stern removed art from beneath post mounting areas on their digitally printed playfields. I'm puzzled why JJP and Mirco refuses to do so.

#398 2 years ago

I disagree.
But if that were the case, put a couple posts in the slingshot areas then.

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

There's no art under those posts (between the clear coat and wood) in those hidden areas, so there's going to be no pooling. It's the introduction of digitally printed art between the clear coat and the wood, that allows the pooling to happen. This is why Stern removed art from beneath post mounting areas on their digitally printed playfields.

Agree with this!

Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'm puzzled why JJP and Mirco refuses to do so.

Remember, Mirco still believes there's nothing wrong with his pf! Jack thinks the issues are a result of owners doing something!

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Here is an easy way to ease your mind before swapping a pf. These are 2 that I bought from Mirco 6 or 8 months ago.

So are you suggesting for people to buy the pf and leave it for "6 or 8 months" to see if pooling happens?

#400 2 years ago

Pooling can happen anywhere.
It's not safe to assume all parts of the pf cure equally, have the same density, or have the same adhesion parameters

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,790 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

12,060 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,795 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 56.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.