IMG_5325 (resized).JPG
IMG_5324 (resized).JPG
IMG_5323 (resized).JPG
IMG_5322 (resized).JPG
IMG_5321 (resized).JPG
Pinside_forum_7814217_11 (resized).jpg
IMG_7054 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,795 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 56.
#1251 1 year ago

Found this one on Ks site:
Raised inserts, unsure what the white is, wear, wax, glue?
Hope this is a one off...
GF PF (resized).jpgGF PF (resized).jpg

#1252 1 year ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Found this one on Ks site:
Raised inserts, unsure what the white is, wear, wax, glue?
Hope this is a one off...
[quoted image]

Could be glare as well but more than likely it's wear from the inserts being recessed and the ball going over the "lip" of the insert.

#1253 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

No, I despise hardtops put on games that were still in good shape. For severely worn games they are fine and I've said that repeatedly.

But you bring the same jolly attitude to every argument. Potato, potahto.

#1254 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

This is an aftermarket stuff we are getting into particularly REPRODUCTION STUFF good luck going to court when you tell the judge about issues with aftermarket reproduction.

See what happens when you poke an angry bear? No one really cares about court. People just want what they paid for. If they are paying for pooling and chipping, this needs to be clearly stated on the warranty.

There are so many unresolved issues that this thread will keep going and going and going.

Unaware people will by old stock of playfields, fit them and then they get pooling and chipping. It will be their fault for buying the product. This thread is here as a warning.

#1255 1 year ago

I have two Mirco playfields. Neither have been installed. I have an early Quicksilver with the missing black rings around the Star roll overs. It has been sitting for years now. I don’t know if these had the better clear or not.

I also bought a Nineball playfield before CPR released theirs, at the time it was the only option. I was hesitant but my original it pretty rough, I knew about the problems when I bought it, I just wish the CPR had come out before I bought the Mirco. I plan to sand both and reclear them both with Evercoat 2PAC in hopes that it will help, only time will tell.

#1256 1 year ago
Quoted from ita47:

I have two Mirco playfields. Neither have been installed. I have an early Quicksilver with the missing black rings around the Star roll overs. It has been sitting for years now. I don’t know if these had the better clear or not.
I also bought a Nineball playfield before CPR released theirs, at the time it was the only option. I was hesitant but my original it pretty rough, I knew about the problems when I bought it, I just wish the CPR had come out before I bought the Mirco. I plan to sand both and reclear them in hopes that it will help, only time will tell.

Besides the artwork discrepancy, why redo the clear if they are holding up years later?

#1257 1 year ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Besides the artwork discrepancy, why redo the clear if they are holding up years later?

They are uninstalled, as I read it.

#1258 1 year ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

I haven’t installed them in the games yet.

#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from ita47:

I have an early Quicksilver

My QS sat uninstalled for years as well. Once it was installed, the problems started with the clear. With most playfields, I'd say that time helps, but not necessarily with Mircos. If I were you, I'd have it recleared and not take the risk. The countless hours put into a PF swap is only worth it if the PF lasts longer than the time you spend swapping it in.

#1260 1 year ago

I'd test the clear for softness with finger nail; then maybe a coin to see if they need to be re-cleared.
I'd fix the rings with a water slide decal; the re-clear.
But yeah; Mirco sucks.

#1261 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'd test the clear for softness with finger nail; then maybe a coin to see if they need to be re-cleared.

I’m glad you can see if there is an issue before doing install work. I’d be very curious to hear what you find out. For the coin test, do you press as hard as you can or just apply some pressure and see if a line/trail is left behind after running the coin over an area?

#1262 1 year ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

if a line/trail is left behind after running the coin over an area?

I'm far from an expert. I'd judge how much pressure a post would inflict on the clear to see if it is too soft for a post. sorry; I don't have more experience with this because I haven't been ripped off by JJP or Mirco.

Maybe install a post under the apron area to see if it has pooling issues after a few months?

#1263 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm far from an expert. I'd judge how much pressure a post would inflict on the clear to see if it is too soft for a post. sorry; I don't have more experience with this because I haven't been ripped off by JJP or Mirco.
Maybe install a post under the apron area to see if it has pooling issues after a few months?

I’d put a soft rubber washer under the post if I was building on a brand new playfield. Why risk anything? But yeah, if no soft washers are to be had, I’d test it under a spot you won’t see on an existing simple or hole.

#1264 1 year ago

The idea is to test the clear coat in a inconspicuous area to see if it's impacted by horrible/soft clear... Not to install any posts on the main playfield

#1265 1 year ago

Tried installing a post to check in advance - didn’t help or show at all what was coming.

Quoted from Zitt:

The idea is to test the clear coat in a inconspicuous area to see if it's impacted by horrible/soft clear... Not to install any posts on the main playfield

#1266 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Tried installing a post to check in advance - didn’t help or show at all what was coming.

Sorry to hear that. Good info.

#1267 1 year ago

I thought at one point Mirco was pre installing a post on every playfield at his factory to test the clear on every playfield? Maybe that was just for JJP, or am I imagining this?

#1268 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

I thought at one point Mirco was pre installing a post on every playfield at his factory to test the clear on every playfield? Maybe that was just for JJP, or am I imagining this?

See the post directly above yours.

#1269 1 year ago

Always good to test the clear coats for hardness at the bottom of the playfield that the apron will cover.

1 week later
#1270 11 months ago

Here is a pic (and vid) taken last week end from the french major pinball event : the Treport.
Jack from JJP was there and signed autograph... wait for it... at Mirco’s booth. It’s cristal clear that the JJP pin will stay on Mirco’s playfield... for a really long time. Good or bad: your choice.
Also, the wall ad on the back for the Totan 2.0 original kit is kind of strange: i thought it was all over for a while since there has been almost never any communication nor any videos behind it. I mean WTF: who will pay 2500 ich dollars for something stamped Mirco and no idea what’s in there. Also, is it still supported with update or anything, kind of doubt it, what about HD? , never been any communication: really unfortunate.

Here is a link pf the video, (it’s in french), at 7m30s

B93DDAA2-A41F-460E-AD09-32A28EF87531 (resized).pngB93DDAA2-A41F-460E-AD09-32A28EF87531 (resized).png

#1271 11 months ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Here is a pic taken last week end from the french major pinball event : the Treport.
Jack from JJP was there and signed autograph... wait for it... at Mirco’s booth. It’s cristal clear that the JJP pin will stay on Mirco’s playfield... for a really long time. Good or bad: your choice.
Also, the wall ad on the back for the Totan 2.0 original kit is kind of strange: i thought it was all over for a while since there has been almost never any communication nor any videos behind it. I mean WTF: who will pay 2500 ich dollars for something stamped Mirco and no idea what’s in there. Also, is it still supported with update or anything, kind of doubt it, what about HD? , never been any communication: really unfortunate.
[quoted image]

Look at that smug asshole on the left edge of the photo....

#1272 11 months ago

Your looking at a dude who sold his soul…

#1273 11 months ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Your looking at a dude who sold his soul…

Who is he? Sounds like a juicy story.

Had a very positive customer service experience with Mirco the other day. Not playfield related, but was needing a few more WH2O RadCals and was able to get a small order in for a fraction of the cost of a full set. Very responsive and helpful, and honestly couldn't be happier with the result

#1274 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Very responsive and helpful, and honestly couldn't be happier with the result

Happy for you...
Buy a lottery ticket, your on a roll...

#1275 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Who is he? Sounds like a juicy story.
Had a very positive customer service experience with Mirco the other day. Not playfield related, but was needing a few more WH2O RadCals and was able to get a small order in for a fraction of the cost of a full set. Very responsive and helpful, and honestly couldn't be happier with the result

He's great when you are trying to give him money.

Please report back here if (when) you have any issues with your product.

That's when his customer service skills really shine!!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1276 11 months ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

He's great when you are trying to give him money.
Please report back here if (when) you have any issues with your product.
That's when his customer service skills really shine!!

Will do!

Had a couple issues with new, second-hand WH2O RadCals, and seemed to me he stood by his product when he only charged me the cost of shipping to get a few replacement pieces, even though I wasn't the original buyer. He easily could have said no, but seemed to me he stood by his product. Obviously, I had to do a little leg work to prove my case, but in the end it was a win-win.

#1277 11 months ago

I did a TOTAN restoration last fall and the owner wanted RadCals. Honestly I thought they were a pretty good product. I’m not crazy about super shiny surfaces that show off every fingerprint (the brass plated lockdown bar gives me hives…I would have to keep a microfiber cloth nearby at all times, lol), but the decals themselves were pretty nice.

Again - it’s a pity that his playfields seem untrustworthy, because the print quality and overall look of his stuff is nice. I don’t know why the guy can’t act like a grown up when there are quality control things to address. If the cost of replacing defective merchandise is gonna jeopardize the business, either he needs to figure out what’s going wrong that there are that many defects in the first place, or he needs a business partner who can manage the financials. Because if defects are not common, then replacing those items and keeping good relations with your customer base should be the obvious thing to do.

#1278 11 months ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Let’s not forget this as well from HEP:

Unbelievable.

Wow, how can any reasonable person look at that AFM PF and say Mirco isn't a complete crook? I have an INDY pf from him still in the crate that looks good.. but after watching this, no way I am installing without a professional clear. Unbelievable indeed.

#1279 11 months ago

Today at Allentown i saw 2 CV playfields for sale, good price at 600, asked if they were Mirco, the answer was yes my answer was no thanks, been there done that, no way im doing all that work and using his products,Ever!

#1280 11 months ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Today at Allentown i saw 2 CV playfields for sale, good price at 600, asked if they were Mirco, the answer was yes my answer was no thanks, been there done that, no way im doing all that work and using his products,Ever!

See any WH2O?

1 week later
#1281 11 months ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

...Please report back here if (when) you have any issues with your product...

Got the WH2O RadCal replacement pieces. Look flawless. I'd say that's a win for those of us looking for good customer service

Regarding playfields in general, will a clear get a hairline scratch if you scratch it with your nail, or is that too soft? I'm not sure what to expect with a clear coat and wondering what are some general musts that help you tell if you have a top notch product, or subpar one?

#1282 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Got the WH2O RadCal replacement pieces. Look flawless. I'd say that's a win for those of us looking for good customer service
Regarding playfields in general, will a clear get a hairline scratch if you scratch it with your nail, or is that too soft? I'm not sure what to expect with a clear coat and wondering what are some general musts that help you tell if you have a top notch product, or subpar one?

The ink and clear chipped off my Whirlwind playfield in about 25 plays or less (in 4 different places on the playfield). Then was told this was none of his fault. So, I classify my experience as sub par. I still have plenty of pictures of the playfield and every one of my email communications with him... Just to remind me to NEVER send Micro a nickle ever again.. The parts supplier made it right on their own dime. So, I was most certainly made whole at the end of the day. Just wasted a shitload of time dealing with ding dong.

I AM really glad your experience was different and you have a quality product. Nothing better!! Thanks for the update!

Cheers sir!

#1283 11 months ago

I do think the radcals have been a better experience. My ij were great. However my friend hated his totan ones and Mirco just gave him the old “it’s like that in the original films” routine.

Avoid Mirco if at all possible.

#1284 11 months ago

Makes decals... restores faith in his business. Sigh

#1285 11 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I do think the radcals have been a better experience. My ij were great. However my friend hated his totan ones and Mirco just gave him the old “it’s like that in the original films” routine.
Avoid Mirco if at all possible.

Ya say away from Mirco most things really suck and he never does anything about it

#1286 11 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Makes decals... restores faith in his business. Sigh

No chance for us. Ever. This thread is not about stickers, it is about playfields.
Maybe Mirco can use one of his fake profiles to start a thread about how good his decals are.

#1287 11 months ago

My White Water RadCals blue was so far from the originals that I never put them on!

#1288 11 months ago

I used rad cals for a virtual pin I built and themed as a ST:TNG. They are nice and shiny and look good for the most part, but the light blue color was mismatched between the left and right cabinet decals.

Didn’t bother me enough not to install them on the vpin, but I would never use these on a real machine. Way too many complaints about color accuracy, and my experience is consistent with those complaints.

#1289 11 months ago

Well, if anyone ever gets a WH2O playfield from Mirco and regrets it, please send it my way I’ll cover the shipping cost, haha. I’d love to have the full WH2O Mirco set

Regarding playfields in general, will a quality clear coat still get an extremely fine hairline scratch if you scratch it with your nail, or is that clear coat too soft?

#1290 11 months ago

Use the gallery. Read this thread. It's pretty obvious you won't read what is right in front of you.

#1291 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Well, if anyone ever gets a WH2O playfield from Mirco and regrets it, please send it my way

I installed a WH20 playfield last year. It seemed pretty flawless. That said, it wasn’t my machine and I haven’t seen it since October, so I have no idea whether it still looks mint or has or will develop any issues.

Could be I got one of the good ones. I didn’t know the history before starting the project. I probably would have ordered it anyway just because the playfield was really really bad, and AFAIK nobody else makes that playfield currently. But if I’d known then what I know now, I would have been nervous about it.

It’s a crapshoot. Maybe scuff sand and put on an additional topcoat, but I honestly don’t see where that helps if the issue has to do with poor adhesion from the base layer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#1292 11 months ago

I ended up acquiring a beautiful NOS AFM playfield this past weekend. I've had feelers out for a couple years, so I can't imagine that there's too many of those left that are still kicking around. Paid more for it than a repro, but considering that I won't have to roll the dice on a Mirco playfield failure or deal with the (lack of) support, it's worth it to me.

I shouldn't have to feel like I need to do this.

#1293 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Regarding playfields in general, will a quality clear coat still get an extremely fine hairline scratch if you scratch it with your nail, or is that clear coat too soft?

Too soft.

#1294 11 months ago

Perfect. Thank you for answering that. Rationale for asking and wanting an answer: pieces of playfield are used to hold RadCals, and I wanted to know if that clear coat is the same as a playfield. Probably won’t know for sure if it’s a viable clear coated product or just scrap, but gave me an idea of what a new coat might look like. It lightly scratches, but again could be an unfinished product.

#1295 11 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

clear coated product

RadCals can't/won't have clear coat unless you put it on the cabinet AFTER installing them. (Like a Spooky Butter Cabinet)
At best those stickers have a varnish put on by the UV Printer which isn't a clear coat. More likely they put a clear film on the art to project it. At worse; they do neither.

#1296 11 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

RadCals can't/won't have clear coat unless you put it on the cabinet AFTER installing them. (Like a Spooky Butter Cabinet)
At best those stickers have a varnish put on by the UV Printer which isn't a clear coat. More likely they put a clear film on the art to project it. At worse; they do neither.

radcals are plastic with the art on the backside of the plastic. It's basically same thing as hard-tops... but obviously for the cabinet

#1297 11 months ago

That's a weird product. So are they super thin then? I'd be very concerned with legs crushing something like that. Or damage due to moving.

Regardless; thanks for educating me.

#1298 11 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That's a weird product. So are they super thin then? I'd be very concerned with legs crushing something like that. Or damage due to moving.
Regardless; thanks for educating me.

The radcals are notched out where the legs attach.

#1299 11 months ago

Zitt heres a recent TZ done with rad cals.

IMG_3714 (resized).jpegIMG_3714 (resized).jpeg
#1300 11 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The RadCals are packaged in a large, flat box with long, wood rails that are from the manufacturing process for playfields. There is a clear coat on the wood of these long rails in the package. I've gotten 2 sets from getting a flawless, complete set of RadCals. I was just wondering about some of the properties of a clear coat, as I was testing some things out from earlier in this thread on these wood rails.

Quoted from Zitt:

Not thin, but thick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 11,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,795 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 56.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.