Pinside_forum_8083636_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_5220 (resized).JPG
IMG_5218 (resized).JPG
IMG_5210 (resized).JPG
IMG_5206 (resized).JPG
IMG_5208 (resized).JPG
360_F_123876016_BPW7nVHYW1Sto9KZCpHXPMzr5pCm6TQ8.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,738 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 55.
#851 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

> Mirco makes products under license from Planetary [PPS].
> A trademark licensor can be held liable for defective goods produced by their licensees.
> Therefore, PPS shares in the responsibility for damages caused by products on which their trademark appears.
> PPS bares liability even though they are not the manufacturer or the retailer.
> All entities that take part in production or marketing are strictly liable for any injuries resulting from such entity placing a defective good in the stream of commerce.
> This reasoning is based on an always-moving cost-benefit analysis that holds entities which benefit from the sale of defective products are responsible for the costs.
> The Lanham Act permits a trademark owner to license its trademark to a licensee that is a related company.
> The act defines a related company as "any person whose use of a mark is controlled by the owner of the mark with respect to the nature and quality of the goods or services on or in connection with which the mark is used."
> Under the Lanham Act, a trademark licensor [PPS] cannot be completely uninvolved in the manufacturing or they risk forfeiture of the mark.
> If PPS declares they have “nothing to do with the goods” other than placing their trademark on the products then they have failed to exercise the mandated control over nature or quality.
(See Lanham Act § 45, 15 U.S.C. § 1127)

pretty much agree.
At the end it's pretty unknow how many abused customers they are, but with massive production such as JJP pins and the WMS pinball swapped, I think there are a lot of defective playfields out there (among other products from Mirco) and a lot of people don't say anything (resale value?) or just let it go, because of the stress don't worth it maybe.

There is no reason than, if the manufacturing process was not ok at some point, one playfield will be scrap and others ok: they will all turn defective for this period of time the process was "off".
I think people in here are the tip of the iceberg.

In the US, you have (I think) more power than we do have in Europe with your class action, it protect customers from abuse from major player. It requires a lot of coordination and effort though unfortunatly.

#852 1 year ago

Wow. Just, wow.

No words.

Wow.

Mirco-PF.jpgMirco-PF.jpg

#853 1 year ago

That is unreal. All the work putin just for it to disintegrate.

Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Wow. Just, wow.
No words.
Wow.
[quoted image]

#854 1 year ago

As the trademark holder PPS is liable for defective products manufactured >under license< by Mirco. Therefore, submit a claim to PPS.

#855 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Are you missing text on the door on twilight zone?

I have a Mirco TZ playfield installed in my game. It is indeed missing the text. I didn’t notice it until it was pointed out to me. Now I can’t unsee it.

I also have an Mirco AFM installed. It has the same UV inks that the original did.

It’s weird he would overlook the text missing on one playfield, but go through the trouble to replicate the UV ink detail in another. The latter being something that would hardly be noticed.

Anecdotally, both playfields are still flawless, and I don’t baby my games. They get played relentlessly.

#856 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

In the US, you have (I think) more power than we do have in Europe.

You have (I think) the same powers and the same protections. See Court of Justice of the EU [CJEU] Directive 85/374 'Liability For Defective Products'.

LINKS:

#857 1 year ago

So is Mirco making the Godfather playfields?

#858 1 year ago

I'd commit to a gofundme donation for any group of people that are willing to file a real lawsuit against PPS for defective Mirco PFs. Seriously. no joke here.

#859 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Wow. Just, wow.
No words.
Wow.
[quoted image]

Didn't even make it 30 days.....

#860 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'd commit to a gofundme donation for any group of people that are willing to file a real lawsuit against PPS for defective Mirco PFs. Seriously. no joke here.

I’m in too. Not to punish PPS but to try to get st the untouchable Mirco

#861 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

pretty much agree.
At the end it's pretty unknow how many abused customers they are, but with massive production such as JJP pins and the WMS pinball swapped, I think there are a lot of defective playfields out there (among other products from Mirco) and a lot of people don't say anything (resale value?) or just let it go, because of the stress don't worth it maybe.
There is no reason than, if the manufacturing process was not ok at some point, one playfield will be scrap and others ok: they will all turn defective for this period of time the process was "off".
I think people in here are the tip of the iceberg.
In the US, you have (I think) more power than we do have in Europe with your class action, it protect customers from abuse from major player. It requires a lot of coordination and effort though unfortunatly.

I believe the opposite.
I know there’s been instances of US sellers selling inventory here in Sweden where they got claimed for faulty product and realized they had much more liability here than in the US.
But in the end it’s dependent on how much of a fight the customer wants to put up, it’s a lot of work…

#862 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

As the trademark holder PPS is liable for defective products manufactured >under license< by Mirco. Therefore, submit a claim to PPS.

I complained recently to PPS about MOP’s quality of a licensed playfield decal set, they replied and basically said it is what it is.

#863 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

Be sure to repost this in Godfather thread. Goldfish memory going on with new and shiny.

#864 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Be sure to repost this in Godfather thread. Goldfish memory going on with new and shiny.

You're sending into the firing line by doing that
Lol. I'm shocked by the positive reactions that game is getting considering the circumstances.

#865 1 year ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

The Diner PF was a CPR….

Well thank god!

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm shocked by the positive reactions that game is getting considering the circumstances.

Same. JJP dead to me with those playfields. I did see a few mentions but people will still buy.

#867 1 year ago

There is no way I would buy a game that has a Mirco playfield in it. I would not want that headache.

#868 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Same. JJP dead to me with those playfields. I did see a few mentions but people will still buy.

Not just the playfields, but their response to the issue. No thanks.

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

> A trademark licensor can be held liable for defective goods produced by their licensees.
> Therefore, PPS shares in the responsibility for damages caused by products on which their trademark appears.
> PPS bares liability even though they are not the manufacturer or the retailer.
> All entities that take part in production or marketing are strictly liable for any injuries resulting from such entity placing a defective good in the stream of commerce.
> This reasoning is based on an always-moving cost-benefit analysis that holds entities which benefit from the sale of defective products are responsible for the costs.
> The Lanham Act permits a trademark owner to license its trademark to a licensee that is a related company.
> The act defines a related company as "any person whose use of a mark is controlled by the owner of the mark with respect to the nature and quality of the goods or services on or in connection with which the mark is used."
> Under the Lanham Act, a trademark licensor [PPS] cannot be completely uninvolved in the manufacturing or they risk forfeiture of the mark.
> If PPS declares they have “nothing to do with the goods” other than placing their trademark on the products then they have failed to exercise the mandated control over nature or quality.

Quoted from SuperMica:

LOL, good luck with that my boy. PPS doesn't care and never have and probably never will.

#870 1 year ago

But since PPS licensed the B/W stuff from Scientific Games, maybe THAT's who you have to go after?

If something is licensed four layers deep, who is "really" responsible...I would guess it's probably no one.

Each person has someone else that they can point at, so no one is actually responsible.

#871 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I know there’s been instances of US sellers selling inventory here in Sweden where they got claimed for faulty product and realized they had much more liability here than in the US.

Here's the thing: All you folks in Europe love to (perhaps rightly) crow about how you have such superior consumer protection and vendor liability laws.

So what I can't understand is, since Mirco is based in Europe, how the hell is this allowed to continue??? Methinks your laws aren't as good as you claim.

#872 1 year ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Here's the thing: All you folks in Europe love to (perhaps rightly) crow about how you have such superior consumer protection and vendor liability laws.
So what I can't understand is, since Mirco is based in Europe, how the hell is this allowed to continue??? Methinks your laws aren't as good as you claim.

you have a good point but... however, from my understanding, almost all his production is going to the US. European is a really tiny market for him and I don't think he even cares at all. (I don't think he cares of anything in the end but money...)
It's not that it would worth an effort, but there are really less JJP here and DP for instance and spoiled customer.
Anyway, we should all common our effort and find a way to make it change if it's possible...

#873 1 year ago

If JJP put games out for location testing, like all mfgrs used to do, they'd see how crappy the playfields are after a month on route. Not sure if it would make them take a different stance or not.

#874 1 year ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Some playfield manufacturers are ramping up their production & facilities. Pinball manufacturing continues to grow with more companies getting into the pool. Mirco will have no problem with lack of demand by companies or consumers. He has the robots & machinery as a big player. Is his product & customer service the best. The answer is no at times. But it is not likely any worse than any other playfield manufacturer having problems at times. My best guess is 1% - 3% of playfields having serious problems with pooling, ink adhesion, or finish clear problems. Could be higher but we will likely never know.

Where are you getting this information from. Too much salt in your head from the sea. Stop just speculating things.

#875 1 year ago

There is companies ramping up playfield production. Likely more to follow since there is huge demand. Rick at PPS could get a number of them licensed if he wants to, & he failed to follow through with me in the past for em playfields. Still a good chance that we see this through late this year or into the future. There is lots of money left on the table for more production.

#876 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I complained recently to PPS about MOP’s quality of a licensed playfield decal set, they replied and basically said it is what it is.

Mr. Personality at his finest....

#877 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

All that matters to most is that "Jack played it, he likes it"....

#878 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Where are you getting this information from. Too much salt in your head from the sea. Stop just speculating things.

He just saw the Buthamburg thread about them moving into a bigger facility and wants to do his shtick of pretending to have some kind of insider knowledge.

#879 1 year ago

It’s still difficult to use that protection between the countries.
It’s great on paper, difficult in real life.
If he would’ve had a distributor based here in Sweden it would’ve been a lot easier because then you’d go against the distributor in your own country.
I mean, Americans aren’t those who should talk when the law sometimes doesn’t even work over state borders within the US. So thinking it would be easier between different countries is crazy talk.

#880 1 year ago

People surprised at playfield wear.

Ladies and gentlemen things wear out. You play something more with high frequency you will wear it out faster.

It's like we convinced ourselves this can't happen in pinball.

You have a ball, metal using friction gliding and rolling and banging into things and things breaking, shocking isn't?

When it comes to dimpling you act like it's a war crime and it shouldn't happen.

But people on here get freaked out because nature does its thing. Nothing in this world is truly indestructible except for one thing.

At some point indestructible things get worn out and become destructible.

Playfield wear and tear is a fact of life.
Dimpling is a fact of life.

Who knew that people playing pinball for hours on end for months is make things wear down quicker.

#881 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Playfield wear and tear is a fact of life. Dimpling is a fact of life.

No shit. Read the thread again, the complaints are not about standard playfield wear or dimpling.

#882 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Ladies and gentlemen things wear out. You play something more with high frequency you will wear it out faster.
You have a ball, metal using friction gliding and rolling and banging into things and things breaking, shocking isn't?
When it comes to dimpling you act like it's a war crime and it shouldn't happen.
But people on here get freaked out because nature does its thing. Nothing in this world is truly indestructible except for one thing.
Who knew that people playing pinball for hours on end for months is make things wear down quicker.

GTFO of here with that nonsense. Please tell me you're not that dense.

#883 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

It’s still difficult to use that protection between the countries.
It’s great on paper, difficult in real life.
If he would’ve had a distributor based here in Sweden it would’ve been a lot easier because then you’d go against the distributor in your own country.
I mean, Americans aren’t those who should talk when the law sometimes doesn’t even work over state borders within the US. So thinking it would be easier between different countries is crazy talk.

I get the cross-border bureaucracies, and your states comparison is fair. But what I mean is, aside from the Euro-zone trade laws allegedly streamling the process... why haven't any of his German customers shut it down? Seems a fair majority of Euro pinsiders have a German flag by their name so it's not like the market is too small, surely enough have been burned. If they fought back he'd might have to change overall.

#884 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

You have a ball, metal using friction gliding and rolling and banging into things and things breaking

Can you explain the pooling under the sling posts/any post where the ball does not have any interaction with the playfield?

#885 1 year ago

Yes, all playfield’s wear but Mircos playfields fail, and fail quickly.

Quoted from Bmad21:

#886 1 year ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Can you explain the pooling under the sling posts/any post where the ball does not have any interaction with the playfield?

easiest way to explain it, it's not pooling. There is no flowing to a low spot. That's just layers getting pulled up by friction from the posts being tightened and/or moving on impact.

#887 1 year ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

I would get your point if the problematic Mirco playfields didn't look worse than a 30+-year-old routed playfield after a couple weeks on location.

#888 1 year ago

I get the cross-border bureaucracies, and your states comparison is fair. But what I mean is, aside from the Euro-zone trade laws allegedly streamling the process... why haven't any of his German customers shut it down? Seems a fair majority of Euro pinsiders have a German flag by their name so it's not like the market is too small, surely enough have been burned. If they fought back he'd might have to change overall.

I fully understand your point.
Someone should have done it.
But it would better off if everybody would just stop supporting a crook.

#889 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I fully understand your point.
Someone should have done it.
But it would better off if everybody would just stop supporting a crook.

I still don’t understand why major company, such as JJP, is still going with Mirco. I’m pretty sure that this is affecting their sales. Maybe, it would have been a much better long term solution, such as CGC, that they change supplier or built their own playfields. It would have been an investment for sure, but much better long term solution and much better to deal with issues with customers if issues or change any manufacturing process themselves.

#890 1 year ago
Quoted from Warzard:

I still don’t understand why major company, such as JJP, is still going with Mirco. I’m pretty sure that this is affecting their sales. Maybe, it would have been a much better long term solution, such as CGC, that they change supplier or built their own playfields. It would have been an investment for sure, but much better long term solution and much better to deal with issues with customers if issues or change any manufacturing process themselves.

Because Mirco is allegedly an investor in JJP. Face it folks, he ain't going anywhere

#891 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Because Mirco is allegedly an investor in JJP. Face it folks, he ain't going anywhere

I didn’t know and it makes sense.
This guy deserve a class action... what a crook: he is everywhere...

Future subject for Netflix !

#892 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I know a couple of people who will never buy JJP for that exact reason.

#893 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

This doesn't really apply here.. as there really isn't a case for PPS to be identified as the manufacturer of the product. There is no real 'apparent manufacturer doctrine' in play here - the goods are clearly marked as Micro and sold as such.

It's not that broad nor universal. That doctrine is rooted in the idea that the company can't avoid liability for products they present as their own simply because they didn't actually manufacture it themselves.

Quoted from SuperMica:

But PPS isn't going to be labeled the producer and if you didn't buy through them, not the seller either.

Quoted from SuperMica:

This concern is only about PPS risking being called out as abandoning the TM by not having anything to do with the licensed good.. but this is a very hard standard to prove and they could easily advocate they were involved, but only for the artistic accuracy/representation of their trademark. They don't need to be involved in ALL aspects to defeat arguments they abandoned the TM.

Not sure where this is being copied from - but it makes some real over reaching statements that either don't apply to this situation or really over state their certainty as it applies here.

#894 1 year ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

But since PPS licensed the B/W stuff from Scientific Games, maybe THAT's who you have to go after?
If something is licensed four layers deep, who is "really" responsible...I would guess it's probably no one.
Each person has someone else that they can point at, so no one is actually responsible.

Lookup 'apparent manufacturer doctrine' - and you'll see how quickly you can exclude PPS in this situation from being confused with being a producer and that's where the liability concern stems from.

#895 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

That's just layers getting pulled up by friction from the posts being tightened and/or moving on impact.

Soooo, there is a problem with the playfields since there is no flowing to a low spot. Manufacture defect?

#896 1 year ago

I'm just being made aware of activity on this thread ... if anyone has an issue with Mirco with respect to WMS/BLY playfields, send me an email as to what the issue is (pics are a plus), timings (when purchased, when issue realized, etc), what communication has been with Mirco, and what the situation is, and I would discuss with him specific situations that are open. FYIW, we have been selling Mirco playfields and have had very few issues, I suspect due to the fact that often the playfields have had a long time to cure/harden (when that is the issue), clearly there are other issues with playfields, but I don't recall having had to bring to Mirco's attention anything since a long time.

Let me know at [email protected]

While there are sometimes good reasons for bad situations, nonetheless, it's a large purchase and although Mirco is financially responsible, we do have some influence on some of these matters.

Team PPS

#897 1 year ago

Let the flood gates open.
Rick; I can state with 100% certainty; I will never, ever buy a Mirco PF because of the way he has treated customers and "supporters".
This thread is FULL of documented cases.

#898 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

So David ... that is not really what happened, and I have the helpdesk text ... you had put the in the helpdesk text that the blue is a different shade of blue than your playfield. Without having the specific decal and without knowing all of the variations of the playfield artwork as well as the degree of fade on any one pf (and there were quite a bit of variations on most artwork), we had let you know that depending on the fading and the original colors, etc, that the best attempt was made to have a blue that works as there is no definite color - as well as to match to a faded playfield.

What the person who responded (which was not me but one of my staff) indicated that on 30 year old playfields there are issues with matching and what to match to, etc - and the finally statement was to return the item to MOP and see if you have find one in the US (PPS, etc) that has a better color to your liking.

As to whether ALL decals have holograms on them ... no, not all do nor is it a requirement that they do. We had said that MOP being a reseller we assume unless and until we are given any evidence that they are selling unlicensed goods.

Rick

#899 1 year ago

I I am sure there are lots of people here other then a few but I will never buy anymore one time was way too much and what grap and he just says its with in reason lol what is that

#900 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Let the flood gates open.
Rick; I can state with 100% certainty; I will never, ever by a Mirco PF because of the way he has treated customers and "supporters".
This there is FULL of documented cases.

Said the guy who went bananas over open source software and hardware.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 91.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 32.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Littleton, CO
There are 2,738 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 55.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-warning-for-potential-buyers/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.