(Topic ID: 235050)

Mirco - Exclusive Classic Stern Parts Manufacture? Bogus Legal Threats!

By greatwichjohn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CraigC
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

booting (resized).jpg
    apology (resized).jpg
    review-19 (resized).jpg
    1caec34e529cbc45597ec7106de45eb21595197e (resized).jpeg
    wXCfyPt (resized).png
    lies (resized).jpg
    20190201_113529 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0002 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
    980x (resized).jpg
    IMG_0060 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0009 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballypinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I did call Mike at CPR this morning before going to my workshop. Here is Kevin response:
    And this. This blew me away today. Had John Greatwich phone Mike today, seeing if we knew anything. We never got your email "C&D thing", oddly enough. Hmmm. Although, for the record (and everybody reading) - this isn't the first time Mirco has PM'd threats of "suing". Not veiled. Outright. To us. Yes.
    Where all this bravado & gusto is calculated to be beneficial or positive for the hobby, I have no idea. I simply don't understand the state of mind. Think about that for a minute. Micro is a VERY smart guy. How he comes to these attitudes and decisions... Jeckyl and Hyde or something... not good.
    I have spoken behind the scenes to many people today, and I found out exactly the gist of what John Greatwich was told by Mirco. I realize that a copy (or dictation) of the PM is not allowed. So I hope admins will allow my brief synopsis as it was told to me... these are MY WORDS. Not a PM, or even close to a PM. If this DOES need to be removed, then so be it.
    " Hey John this is Mirco. I have been given legal rights by Gary at Stern to make all parts for classic Stern. This includes... all playfield, backglasses and parts. You must stop production immediately. Unless you have a paper from Gary at Stern show me the paper or you will get sued. Don't think that just because you are out of my country and I am in Germany that I can't sue you, think again. Please stop all productions unless you want to get sued" or something to that effect.
    THIS IS THE LAST I'M GOING TO COMMENT ON THIS (Hell, this is my Sorcerer thread!):
    I personally spoke to Gary Stern a few hours ago.
    He WAS contacted by Mirco asking about doing a classic Stern project, and some mild discussion of royalties, how it works, etc. Gary gave him permission to proceed, and future details of paying royalties to Gary and his wife would be put in play. Gary acknowledges that Stern Electronics Inc is defunct, but the IP fell to him and his wife (wife because part of divorce settlement). He realises he hasn't cared nor policed IP for the old Stern Electronics stuff at all. He's got bigger fish to fry. He even recalls our 2005 meeting in his office, when we started - he gave us carte blanche to touch on any of the old Stern games if we wanted... he didn't care. Today in 2019, he does acknowledge that the hobby had significantly grown and changed - and him and his wife ARE looking at exploring their options for setting up some kind of interface with the makers out here. But this is a new thing for them. They are very busy.
    Gary invited CPR to email him a list of all current Stern Electronics repro projects we still have interests in, plus any future plans. There is NO EXCLUSIVITY, and he has no problem (he is half the decision, with his wife) seeing the stuff getting made - wherever and whoever does it. But the time is coming where we need to sit down and discuss some royalty on the IP. He chuckled at the Mirco story... even said George Gomez got a call about the same thing today.
    I also reached out to Marc at Marco Specialties since they are restocking my Seawitch, Star Gazer, & Nineball backglass. I wish Mirco Playfields would provide proof of their agreement with Gary Stern (his ex wife), etc. Not have to figure it out here with legal threats! If old Stern is looking for licensing of classic product please contact me.

Let me state a Fact, a Licensee Can't send C&D without the consent of the Licensor, nor can they take legal action against someone making copyright items that they don't own the Copyrights too without an assignment.

I would wait for a C&D or letter from Gary Stern or whoever the Rights are owned by now.

Mirco is just trying to protect any investment he has made in a License agreement with the rights owners.

#132 5 years ago

Both you guys should amend your posts
    Neither are License Holders as a licensee can't sub license

they are a manufacturer making replacement parts with the licensee permission with a financial arrangement

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballypinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-exclusive-classic-stern-parts-manufacturer?tu=ballypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.