(Topic ID: 235050)

Mirco - Exclusive Classic Stern Parts Manufacture? Bogus Legal Threats!

By greatwichjohn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CraigC
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

booting (resized).jpg
    apology (resized).jpg
    review-19 (resized).jpg
    1caec34e529cbc45597ec7106de45eb21595197e (resized).jpeg
    wXCfyPt (resized).png
    lies (resized).jpg
    20190201_113529 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0002 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
    980x (resized).jpg
    IMG_0060 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0009 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #52 5 years ago

There is a legal term called an "orphaned work" for a copyrighted work that doesn't have a clear owner, or an owner who can't be contacted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_work

Orphaned works are *not* in the public domain. They are still copyrighted, and if the owner of the work should ever resurface, they could technically still enforce their copyright rights at any time. So, anyone who uses an orphaned work is rolling the dice.

Quoted from bluespin:

b) The patents on the Stern Electronics company products has long since expired

As Aurich mentioned, patents are completely different. Basically, they cover inventions or methods of doings things.

Copyright covers creations, such as art, music, film, writings, etc.

Anything that is created is automatically copyrighted. However, you can also register a copyright, which makes the rights a bit easier to enforce in court (especially at the federal level) should a dispute arise and be able to potentially collect damages from copyright infringement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_registration

Since when patents and copyrights are mentioned, trademarks usually pop into the conversation as well, but those are something else entirely. Those help enforce the use of a company's name, logo, special product names, special & specific terminology, etc.

Quoted from bluespin:

Both Starship Fantasy (Larry) and Pinisder Freeplay40 make ramps

Since you brought up ramps; functional objects cannot be copyrighted, trademarked, or patented. However, the decals (which have artwork on them) are copyrighted. That's sometimes why you see parts created without the decals.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You don't need to put a copyright notice on something for it to be copyrighted. That's automatic. Nor does it have anything to do with patents.

The law changed in ~1979, prior to that, if you did not put a copyright notice in writing on the work, it was unprotected.

That's why anyone can sell copies, stills, artwork or whatever of "Night of the Living Dead" the distributor of the film forgot to put the copyright at the beginning. It's totally unprotected.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You don't need to put a copyright notice on something for it to be copyrighted. That's automatic. Nor does it have anything to do with patents.

This is true now, but it wasn't always the case. For stuff prior to 1978 it gets murky and complicated.

Quoted from jj44114:

The trademarks, patents, etc. need to be renewed every 10-20 years or so, or they will lapse. They may have not been renewed at all.

This was true for copyrights, but isn't true anymore. Patents and trademarks are treated differently than copyright.

Explore the craziness here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

The trademarks, copyrights, etc. need to be renewed every 10-20 years or so, or they will lapse. They may have not been renewed at all.

Not quite.

US Patents need to be renewed at 3 years, 7 years, and 11 years. The renewals cannot be pre-paid or pre-registered for the maximum protection period. Patents expire after 20 years.

The laws on copyright vary and have bunch of rules and exceptions. But in general, with works created after 1978, authors get life + 70 years. Or, in the case of a company's works, 95 years after the publication date. Prior to 1978, works did not receive automatic copyright, and instead needed to be registered to receive copyright protection.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

The trademarks, patents, etc. need to be renewed every 10-20 years or so, or they will lapse. They may have not been renewed at all.

Patents and copyrights are very different. I think copyright's are good for 100 years. Most patents are 20 years with some ability to extend.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Most patents are 20 years with some ability to extend.

20 years is the maximum. There are no extensions.

However, what patent holders tend to do is take the patent, add or alter something, then patent that "new" thing with the addition/alteration. Drug companies use that technique all the time.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The law changed in ~1979, prior to that, if you did not put a copyright notice in writing on the work, it was unprotected.

Quoted from stangbat:

This is true now, but it wasn't always the case. For stuff prior to 1978 it gets murky and complicated.

Good points, but Seawitch, the playfield in question here, is from 1980. So not an issue.

#59 5 years ago

I was emailed here, & I will not post his further legal threats. Also I did not ask for it to be removed (moderated & another threat of legal). All I can say is show me some legal proof of your agreement.

My production continues with Star Gazer, & Seawitch playfields. Same with glass titles: Seawitch, Star Gazer, Lightning, Nineball, Catacomb, & Iron Maiden.

I see no official news posted about a Gary Stern & Mirco Playfields exclusive agreement towards Classic Stern Pinball (Stern Electronics).
    Also have not heard about any other producer being contacted like myself.

Below 2 Star Gazer playfields worked on today. The cnc shop has playfields cutting 4 Seawitch, & 16 Star Gazer.

IMG_0060 (resized).JPGIMG_0060 (resized).JPG
    #60 5 years ago

I did call Mike at CPR this morning before going to my workshop. Here is Kevin response:

And this. This blew me away today. Had John Greatwich phone Mike today, seeing if we knew anything. We never got your email "C&D thing", oddly enough. Hmmm. Although, for the record (and everybody reading) - this isn't the first time Mirco has PM'd threats of "suing". Not veiled. Outright. To us. Yes.
    Where all this bravado & gusto is calculated to be beneficial or positive for the hobby, I have no idea. I simply don't understand the state of mind. Think about that for a minute. Micro is a VERY smart guy. How he comes to these attitudes and decisions... Jeckyl and Hyde or something... not good.
    I have spoken behind the scenes to many people today, and I found out exactly the gist of what John Greatwich was told by Mirco. I realize that a copy (or dictation) of the PM is not allowed. So I hope admins will allow my brief synopsis as it was told to me... these are MY WORDS. Not a PM, or even close to a PM. If this DOES need to be removed, then so be it.
    " Hey John this is Mirco. I have been given legal rights by Gary at Stern to make all parts for classic Stern. This includes... all playfield, backglasses and parts. You must stop production immediately. Unless you have a paper from Gary at Stern show me the paper or you will get sued. Don't think that just because you are out of my country and I am in Germany that I can't sue you, think again. Please stop all productions unless you want to get sued" or something to that effect.
    THIS IS THE LAST I'M GOING TO COMMENT ON THIS (Hell, this is my Sorcerer thread!):
    I personally spoke to Gary Stern a few hours ago.
    He WAS contacted by Mirco asking about doing a classic Stern project, and some mild discussion of royalties, how it works, etc. Gary gave him permission to proceed, and future details of paying royalties to Gary and his wife would be put in play. Gary acknowledges that Stern Electronics Inc is defunct, but the IP fell to him and his wife (wife because part of divorce settlement). He realises he hasn't cared nor policed IP for the old Stern Electronics stuff at all. He's got bigger fish to fry. He even recalls our 2005 meeting in his office, when we started - he gave us carte blanche to touch on any of the old Stern games if we wanted... he didn't care. Today in 2019, he does acknowledge that the hobby had significantly grown and changed - and him and his wife ARE looking at exploring their options for setting up some kind of interface with the makers out here. But this is a new thing for them. They are very busy.
    Gary invited CPR to email him a list of all current Stern Electronics repro projects we still have interests in, plus any future plans. There is NO EXCLUSIVITY, and he has no problem (he is half the decision, with his wife) seeing the stuff getting made - wherever and whoever does it. But the time is coming where we need to sit down and discuss some royalty on the IP. He chuckled at the Mirco story... even said George Gomez got a call about the same thing today.

I also reached out to Marc at Marco Specialties since they are restocking my Seawitch, Star Gazer, & Nineball backglass. I wish Mirco Playfields would provide proof of their agreement with Gary Stern (his ex wife), etc. Not have to figure it out here with legal threats! If old Stern is looking for licensing of classic product please contact me.

#61 5 years ago

Wow. What a winner...

#62 5 years ago

We have to be careful about how we approach any appeasement, or a company can take licensing territory that has never historically belonged to them.

The last thing this hobby needs is a friggin pinball holocaust.

All the pinball part manufacturers are going to need to join together as allies against this threat.

#63 5 years ago

Funny thing is Mirco probably had never even seen or played a classic stern until people asked him to do quicksilver a few weeks back. Now he thinks he gets to corner the market for classic stern repro's by making a few phone calls? What an asshole.
    Keep up the good work John, your a great guy and a fantastic asset to this community.

#64 5 years ago

Stay classy mirco

#65 5 years ago

I just emailed Stern Corporate to pass along to Gary Stern. My parts production info for years for Classic Stern.

#66 5 years ago

Let me know if you ever do a Stern Pinball backglass. I have an EM that's missing one and some plastics.

#67 5 years ago

I am ALL for anyone who can make these playfields faster than than current situation.
    Going on what, 5 years now? That is ridiculous.
    Don't promise what you can't deliver in real time.

#68 5 years ago

I swear Stern posted on instagram last year that they had the ability to “vault” any game all the way back to the original incarnation of Stern Electronics but I just spent 20 min trying to find that post with no luck.

#69 5 years ago

Pinball parts production is hard! I am not a robot. Glass production over the years has been quick. Seawitch playfields should be finished over the next 1 -5 months. The bulk will be new orders of Seawitch & Star Gazer playfields. Standby maybe Seawitch by Mirco, CPR, & myself. Never Say Never. Same as my Stern backglass by many vendors.

#70 5 years ago

Mirco has definitely lost a customer in me with bullying in this close-knit community. Keep on rocking John!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I am ALL for anyone who can make these playfields faster than than current situation.
    Going on what, 5 years now? That is ridiculous.
    Don't promise what you can't deliver in real time.

You should think about chilling out a little bit. One man, all alone, and one his own, has made it possible for me to be building a Star Gazer. I got a play field. And a back glass. From one man. It is a hell of a lot more than I would have ever been able to do.

Since I have been around, John has been forthright about his progress, or lack thereof, and he has offered to give money back to everybody who made a deposit. If you did not get your money back, that is your fault. If you did get your money back then you have no skin in the game.

So, just roll on with it. It is not the end of the world. Nobody has died. Just relax.

#72 5 years ago

Should be a interesting Friday. Maybe I get a email from a lawyer. Or someone figures out they should of showed some proof of a monopoly. Quick to have their pm threats removed from here along with what it said. We will see how silent the person remains, or not. Maybe the lawyer will clue the person in about threats with out showing any proof. Gary Stern has been emailed by me, & likely others are asking what is up.

#73 5 years ago

What Stern playfields have been repro'd to date?

Star Gazer
    Sea Witch
    Flight 2000

any others that I'm not aware of?

#74 5 years ago

Star Gazer production 78 sold, & Seawitch 5 production tests by me. Those numbers are about to go up this year by me. CPR can publish their numbers if they wish.

#75 5 years ago

I will NOT be buying ANYTHING Mirco anymore. You act like a jerk, you lose customers. Plain and simple. I urge the rest of those viewing this thread to do the same. This is how you deal with this crap.

#76 5 years ago

Way to go Mirco. Not only do you attempt to shut down a one man show who is an asset to the hobby but also totally screw over all of John's prepaid customers who have patiently stood with him for years. I suspect this attempt to grab a tiny corner of a niche market just cost you more sales than you tried to shut down. I certainly am no longer inclined to buy Mirco products.

#78 5 years ago

I hope pinheads keep this thread bookmarked and remind folks in the coming years what Mirco is trying to do to the pinball hobby. Not cool.

#79 5 years ago

Sounds like a classic bluff.

#80 5 years ago

Well this situation just helped me decide which Sorcerer playfield to buy. Not supporting bad actions with my money.

#81 5 years ago

surprised mr tough guy Mirco has not responded with anymore BS.

Are there any laws against using the tactics he is if it turns out he is lying and does not have the exclusive rights?

May be worth looking in to and taking some actions on?

#82 5 years ago

Rather than piling on, it probably makes more sense to wait for more information.

Also, people do make mistakes - and giving them an opportunity to walk them back is important.

#83 5 years ago

If this was a Cease & Desist letter, I'd say not worth the paper its printed on. This isn't a C & D. This was a Pinside PM.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd say not worth the paper its printed on.

Which is really something, considering it was sent electronically.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I did call Mike at CPR this morning before going to my workshop. Here is Kevin response:
    And this. This blew me away today. Had John Greatwich phone Mike today, seeing if we knew anything. We never got your email "C&D thing", oddly enough. Hmmm. Although, for the record (and everybody reading) - this isn't the first time Mirco has PM'd threats of "suing". Not veiled. Outright. To us. Yes.
    Where all this bravado & gusto is calculated to be beneficial or positive for the hobby, I have no idea. I simply don't understand the state of mind. Think about that for a minute. Micro is a VERY smart guy. How he comes to these attitudes and decisions... Jeckyl and Hyde or something... not good.
    I have spoken behind the scenes to many people today, and I found out exactly the gist of what John Greatwich was told by Mirco. I realize that a copy (or dictation) of the PM is not allowed. So I hope admins will allow my brief synopsis as it was told to me... these are MY WORDS. Not a PM, or even close to a PM. If this DOES need to be removed, then so be it.
    " Hey John this is Mirco. I have been given legal rights by Gary at Stern to make all parts for classic Stern. This includes... all playfield, backglasses and parts. You must stop production immediately. Unless you have a paper from Gary at Stern show me the paper or you will get sued. Don't think that just because you are out of my country and I am in Germany that I can't sue you, think again. Please stop all productions unless you want to get sued" or something to that effect.
    THIS IS THE LAST I'M GOING TO COMMENT ON THIS (Hell, this is my Sorcerer thread!):
    I personally spoke to Gary Stern a few hours ago.
    He WAS contacted by Mirco asking about doing a classic Stern project, and some mild discussion of royalties, how it works, etc. Gary gave him permission to proceed, and future details of paying royalties to Gary and his wife would be put in play. Gary acknowledges that Stern Electronics Inc is defunct, but the IP fell to him and his wife (wife because part of divorce settlement). He realises he hasn't cared nor policed IP for the old Stern Electronics stuff at all. He's got bigger fish to fry. He even recalls our 2005 meeting in his office, when we started - he gave us carte blanche to touch on any of the old Stern games if we wanted... he didn't care. Today in 2019, he does acknowledge that the hobby had significantly grown and changed - and him and his wife ARE looking at exploring their options for setting up some kind of interface with the makers out here. But this is a new thing for them. They are very busy.
    Gary invited CPR to email him a list of all current Stern Electronics repro projects we still have interests in, plus any future plans. There is NO EXCLUSIVITY, and he has no problem (he is half the decision, with his wife) seeing the stuff getting made - wherever and whoever does it. But the time is coming where we need to sit down and discuss some royalty on the IP. He chuckled at the Mirco story... even said George Gomez got a call about the same thing today.
    I also reached out to Marc at Marco Specialties since they are restocking my Seawitch, Star Gazer, & Nineball backglass. I wish Mirco Playfields would provide proof of their agreement with Gary Stern (his ex wife), etc. Not have to figure it out here with legal threats! If old Stern is looking for licensing of classic product please contact me.

Let me state a Fact, a Licensee Can't send C&D without the consent of the Licensor, nor can they take legal action against someone making copyright items that they don't own the Copyrights too without an assignment.

I would wait for a C&D or letter from Gary Stern or whoever the Rights are owned by now.

Mirco is just trying to protect any investment he has made in a License agreement with the rights owners.

#86 5 years ago

No more word this morning from Mirco or his lawyer. He wanted me to shut down my Classic Stern parts on Thursday. Post here & remove all my parts I have for sale in the world. I am off to pick up more cut playfields for Star Gazer, & Seawitch. Waiting for more tempered glass blanks mid month for more glass production.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

No more word this morning from Mirco or his lawyer. He wanted me to shut down my Classic Stern parts on Thursday. Post here & remove all my parts I have for sale in the world. I am off to pick up more cut playfields for Star Gazer, & Seawitch. Waiting for more tempered glass blanks mid month for more glass production.

Awsome really looking forward to my stargazer playfield and backglass later this month!!

#88 5 years ago

Hi All,

my apologies for any trouble I have caused. It was not my intention to start something like this and to be honest I did not know much about John's background before. Of course I'm not interested that someone looses their money, for example the prepayments which were made. I think there are enough people out there who are harmed by lost prepayments...

Nevertheless it is not ok to produce parts with violationg copyrights. We have seen that on cabinet art before as well. I think it is easy to understand that I'm interested to have equal start positions for anybody. I try to do it right and get permission and pay royalties per item. If a 3rd party is involved I get their permission as well as any upcoming lawsuit would get really expensive. I would not want to see Disney or Universal for example showing up and fight for their royalty. As a company it is your turn to make sure you do it right.

Any lawyer cost extra money. In my opinion this is not the best option, especially for small businesses. Thatwhy I reached out direct without using any lawyer right away.

No matter what happened it is not allowed to publish any private massages without permission.

Aynway I will not take any action right now and let it go.

Regarding any double effort for some playfields - I'm open for any suggestions, Kevin has my contact info - we can talk and see how we might come together...

Regards,
    Mirco

#89 5 years ago

Your intention was to use fear and intimidation, I’m glad John published the PM as it shows exactly the person you are. Shameful!

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Hi All,
    my apologies for any trouble I have caused. It was not my intention to start something like this and to be honest I did not know much about John's background before. Of course I'm not interested that someone looses their money, for example the prepayments which were made. I think there are enough people out there who are harmed by lost prepayments...
    Nevertheless it is not ok to produce parts with violationg copyrights. We have seen that on cabinet art before as well. I think it is easy to understand that I'm interested to have equal start positions for anybody. I try to do it right and get permission and pay royalties per item. If a 3rd party is involved I get their permission as well as any upcoming lawsuit would get really expensive. I would not want to see Disney or Universal for example showing up and fight for their royalty. As a company it is your turn to make sure you do it right.
    Any lawyer cost extra money. In my opinion this is not the best option, especially for small businesses. Thatwhy I reached out direct without using any lawyer right away.
    No matter what happened it is not allowed to publish any private massages without permission.
    Regarding any double effort for some playfields - I'm open for any suggestions, Kevin has my contact info - we can talk and see how we might come together...
    Regards,
    Mirco

Mirco,
    you haven't proven to anyone that you have the license to manufacture Stern Electronics parts, let alone that you have the exclusive rights to do so. I am encouraging you to add a picture of the contract that you received from the owner(s) of the rights to Stern Electronics products, showing that you have the exclusive rights to reproduce these products. Thanks in advance.

#91 5 years ago

So basically Mirco is talking out his ass, and got caught at it. Totally shameful.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Mirco,
    you haven't proven to anyone that you have the license to manufacture Stern Electronics parts, let alone that you have the exclusive rights to do so. I am encouraging you to add a picture of the contract that you received from the owner(s) of the rights to Stern Electronics products, showing that you have the exclusive rights to reproduce these products. Thanks in advance.

You won't see anything. Just words and threats.

#93 5 years ago

Big error in judgement.

Don’t know much about Mirco, but dropping the keyboard and communicating directly might be a good idea.

#94 5 years ago

I got to this thread too late as it had already been censored, maybe someone can post the original PMs to Facebook or KLOV etc

#95 5 years ago

Hi All,
    Regards,
    Mirco

What action can you take? Ok, other than sending an email or PM?

#96 5 years ago

Hi All,
    Regards,
    Mirco

So you have no exclusive agreement with Stern. Got it.

#97 5 years ago

Hi All,
    Regards,
    Mirco

POST THE CONTRACT showing you have exclusive rights to all Stern Electronics stuff! Anything less and you are just digging a deeper hole.

At this point, you need to prove that right now you have that contract executed and your words are enforceable. It is the only thing that is going to help you in the public eye (and that will be minimal)

#98 5 years ago

Mirco, as the writer, you are free to post your PMs to this thread.

That may help in getting you removed from my (and others) "do not do business with" list.

Or it may enforce it.

#99 5 years ago

Hi All,
    Regards,
    Mirco

Once again, you have done nothing to indicate you have any right, never mind exclusive rights. And you're too cheap to hire an attorney. That's all your post proves.

#100 5 years ago

Keep going John, nothing to see here.

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-exclusive-classic-stern-parts-manufacturer/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.