SAM_0384.JPG
SAM_0398.JPG
spock.gif
APS_camera.gif
Pinbot-Over-board.jpg
100_1099.JPG
V8.jpg
horses-ass.jpg
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 12 years ago

This scene should sum up your "blew it" comment.

All I can say is I salute you for posting such a fuck up. Most don't have the balls.

#52 12 years ago

I am truly sorry.

LTG

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#55 12 years ago

Sorry for the loss.

Jim

#56 12 years ago

I think it's amazing you don't have more damage than that. I'd consider yourself lucky on the way it landed. Transporting a game with it's legs on and not properly securing is just plain crazy and lacks common sense. We've all done stupid things when we get excited about a score.....this one might take the cake

#57 12 years ago

Rommy. Sorry buddy. Sorriest story I have heard in a long time!

#58 12 years ago

The guy knew he did something that he shouldn't have, that was the point of the post.

If the PF is still intact as it was before, than that is good news... I can only imagine how you felt.

#59 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Thanks for sharing, as painful as it is, it might help somebody in the future when they see the post.

+1. I feel really bad for you.

#60 12 years ago

I am gonna respond once and let you say whatever you want to after that as this thread isn't the place.

Wicked wanted my nascar for 1800 with the leds and I told him he was dreaming. He then proceded to lecture me on why I shouldn't insult a potential buyer even though he was pissing the seller off himself.

I had already told him what my bottom dollar was and wicked was just trying to get something for nothing. From there it went back and forth and while neither of us is a saint, wicked is the kettle calling the pot black. I have at least a dozen messages from him telling me to (insert word) off. He simply wanted to have the last word in a conversation he started. While I may not get along with everyone here and I tend to speak my mind, I don't sit here and threaten anyone.

#61 12 years ago

Sucks that it happened, call Stern on Monday and they may be able to find a backbox for you.

That's definitely fixable though.

#62 12 years ago

Will auto or homeowners insurance cover any of this??

#63 12 years ago

your first post to Rommy should show how our deal worked out....If I am going to by something I am not going to let someone take parts off of it....I told him it was a offer.....also notice Dung, since our post my collection has grown from 2 machine to 5....so I had the money that you stated I didn't...also the F off was in respond to this chuckle head not just going away...it took about 12 of them for him to get lost...talk about not taking a hint.....anyways Rommy sorry about your loss...I hope you get it back together..LOTR is an awesome machine

#64 12 years ago

V8.jpgV8.jpg

#65 12 years ago

Well now you got to fix that bad boy back up. Live n learn, I sure would love to find a minty LOTR near by for 3K...

#66 12 years ago

Make it a v8 splash it tastes better.

#67 12 years ago

I think its all fixable. I'd start by having a new backbox made at a local cabinet shop. Then just remount the boards into it. Get a new lockdown bar from pinballlife and worst case, buy a new sam board to replace the broken one if you aren't able to fix it. Get a new translite glass cut at a local glass shop. The whole thing should be around $500.

#68 12 years ago

Dang Romm...I feel bad for you. My very first pin i bought, i just loaded into the back of my truck legs and head still attached, i was so green to the hobby i was neon. I got lucky though. Hopefully you will get it back good as new.

#69 12 years ago

Can you imagine what the Carfax for this pinball would be?
1. Pristine HUO game low plays
2. Rolled over in a ditch
3. Sent to Chad's
4. Better that ever!
Would anyone ever quess it's history?
Sorry to hear this story. It made me hurt a little just reading it. I was wondering if that CL add was even real. I guess it was too good to be true, but you will have a great pin anyway.

#70 12 years ago

was this the one in fayetteville louisiana? If so i was going to get it if you didnt buy it. He text me a while ago and said he sold it this morning.

#71 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think its all fixable. I'd start by having a new backbox made at a local cabinet shop. Then just remount the boards into it. Get a new lockdown bar from pinballlife and worst case, buy a new sam board to replace the broken one if you aren't able to fix it. Get a new translite glass cut at a local glass shop. The whole thing should be around $500.

I have seen two complete lotr cabinets go up for sale int he last year. they are the only empty unused stern cabinets I have ever seen. Outside of that his big problem is the artwork. Airbrushing cannot really replicate the pixelated look and stern never sold side art separately. Someone with the right connections might know if there are any unused heads though as that is the only thing that will be hard to get. Everything else is pretty easy.

#72 12 years ago

I used to (when I had my route) transport pins with the legs on all the time (but strapped down and in an enclosed trailer). Nothing bad ever happened to many 100s of games over the years.

Just be glad no one was killed out on the road; a very real possibility!

#73 12 years ago

Rommy,

Sorry to hear this happened. My day wasn't much better, not as bad as yours, but bad. Had some family issues arise today, then after a few hours of dealing with that, I figured I'd work on my JP to unstress myself. I was removing the backglass, when someone behind me called my name. I turned to talk to them, wait for it... you guessed it, shattered glass all over the inside of JP. So I get to spend the next hundered years getting glass out of everywhere. My fault, and I did an idiotic thing also. Hope everything works out for you. Don't forget to post the after pictures, as looking at the before pics once was enough.

Post edited by ThePostmaster : Miss spoke on backglass issue

It wasn't the backglass as stated earlier, it was the playfield glass!

#74 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I used to (when I had my route) transport pins with the legs on all the time (but strapped down and in an enclosed trailer). Nothing bad ever happened to many 100s of games over the years.

I agree with this. Also, the backboard should be folded down, not removed as the original poster said.

#75 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree with this. Also, the backboard should be folded down, not removed as the original poster said.

If it is in an enclosed trailer folding the backbox down is smart, but not as critical. I know someone whose buyer brought the game in a truck with it up. It caused a number of large cracks in the head, but luckily didn't wreck the backglass.

#76 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Shrug, I really don't care if you didn't like what I had to say. Its nothing against rommy, but he wrecked a very nice game because he didn't take the time to use common sense. If you don't like that I called a spade a spade, tough? If rommy didn't want to hear that kind of comment maybe he shouldn't have posted what he did on a public forum complete with pictures?

I think its a good thing to post your mistakes. Thanks for sharing Rommy.

#77 12 years ago

The maneuver of flipping a pin out of a moving truck or trailer should from this point forward be called "doing a B_R" or "did a B_R", or "I B_R'd that pin right outta the truck!"

Damn dude, my condolences on your loss. Looks like you will get it back repaired, so at least it
wasn't a 100% loss.

No disrespect to the one, the only BR, Black Rose. I bet after he flipped that pinbot outta the trailer he learned to strap those suckers down tight. We all make mistakes, the best thing is to learn and not repeat them a second time.

#78 12 years ago

Rommy,

Sorry to hear this happened. My day wasn't much better, not as bad as yours, but bad. Had some family issues arise today, then after a few hours of dealing with that, I figured I'd work on my JP to unstress myself. I was removing the backglass, when someone behind me called my name. I turned to talk to them, wait for it... you guessed it, shattered glass all over the inside of JP. So I get to spend the next hundered years getting glass out of everywhere. My fault, and I did an idiotic thing also. Hope everything works out for you. Don't forget to post the after pictures, as looking at the before pics once was enough.

'
'
'
That is IT I am JUMPING!!!

100_1099.JPG100_1099.JPG

Sorry, I could not find a pic of a gorilla jumping off of a bridge

#79 12 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Thank you for that! I feel like you can share in my pain, and I will be thinking about you also whilst I clean all the glass out of mine. At least none got into the PF on mine anyways.

Quoted from dung:

Outside of that his big problem is the artwork

I am going to live with this on the cab as there is very little. Enough to notice but you won't see it once it is in it's spot. But on the backbox...i mean it's all still there...I did not lose any pieces...they are not scuffed up, just apart. Joshua is looking into a stern replacement for me. Thanks man!

Quoted from markmon:

I think its all fixable

Quoted from johnwartjr:

That's definitely fixable though.

This makes me feel a whole lot better. Not about what I did, but about getting to play it.

Quoted from marlboroa:

was this the one in fayetteville louisiana?

Arkansas. Literally 20 minutes from my house. I am not sure I should move it from wishlist to collection lol

Quoted from beauimpala:

I think it's amazing you don't have more damage than that.

Me too. Going 5 mph I am sure made a big difference. If I took pictures of it now with the lockdown bar covered you would still think it was awesome. until you looked up. But when I leapt from the truck I expected total destruction. All the ribbon cables were still hooked up, all the molex connectors look fine and were well seated. We will see, there could be bad stuff hidden from sight. I am feeling better about the whole thing...maybe I'll post some more pics tomorrow. They bought it at Sharper Image of all places.

#80 12 years ago

I miss spoke on the glass issue, it wasn't the backglass, it was the playfield glass

#81 12 years ago

I'm sorry to read this rommy. My stomach dropped after seeing the pics, I can only imagine how you AND your friend felt. Good luck on the fix - sounds like the right people are on it.

I'm going downstairs now to hug my LOTR.

#82 12 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I'm going downstairs now to hug my LOTR.

I'm going downstairs to kick myself in the family jewels!

#83 12 years ago

Stern probably has at least 1 LOTR backbox laying around, and I bet it's probably a couple hundred bucks tops. At one point, you could buy a complete empty cabinet, if Stern was running that game, and it was not that expensive. About the same price as a blank playfield.

Any distributor should be able to get you one. I'd ask Trent, since he's a good friend, but I'm certain the GExchange guy is a perfectly fine guy too.

#84 12 years ago

Whoa, sorry dude.

I shouldn't have opened this thread, I'm like crying at the pictures :'(

#85 12 years ago

How did it come out? I never transport it on legs. I cant believe glass didnt break.

#86 12 years ago

sorry , rommy, and thanks for the post, if this memory keeps someone from acting hastily so they don't end up in the same situation , then you might have just saved a pin down the line.

#87 12 years ago

Brutal.

I'm glad there's a couple options to get this fixed though. Look on the bright side. You'll be a smarter pinhead for the accident.

Thanks for sharing this. I don't know if I could have been a big enough man to show off such a folly. Thanks for sharing your misfortune to reinforce the importance of taking the time to transport safely!

I'd like to see the pictures after the repair work is done.

#88 12 years ago

Man I feel for you, I am still beating myself up for a 2" scratch on a SC cab 4 years ago!! Good luck getting it sorted and please post some “after” photos.

#89 12 years ago

At least Rommy is rich. I mean, look at his collection.

#90 12 years ago

My jp had been dropped on its backbox when I got it. Not to these extremes whatsoever but it was bad. I had to replace translite, hinges, and rails. Then I fixed backbox.

#91 12 years ago

AAAAHHH!!!!
that is some bad luck

#92 12 years ago

Man, that blows.

#93 12 years ago

So sorry about the accident...it's easy to say, but just remember how many other tragic (and much worse) things can happen in life. It's hard to think that way, but it helps to keep things in perspective. Good luck with the repairs - 10 years from now you will laugh about this.

#94 12 years ago

That made much stomach turn.

#95 12 years ago

I'm speechless

#96 12 years ago

what a nightmare, but it sure opens the opportunity to prove that an HE restore can make miracles!

#97 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

vid1900 said:I used to (when I had my route) transport pins with the legs on all the time (but strapped down and in an enclosed trailer). Nothing bad ever happened to many 100s of games over the years.

Yes, always fold the backbox down for transport, even in an enclosed trailer. The momentum of travel can crack the mounting board.

Some game's back boxes don't fold down; they have to be unbolted and secured.

Of course, always place a blanket between the game and the back box, and make sure the back glass is locked too.

#99 12 years ago

Ouch. I remember pictures of BR's pinbot and now these. I hope everyone has seen enough damage to take the legs off and put the back box down to transport! I hope your repairs go well Rommy

#100 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

friend was in a hurry, he strapped it down, off we went.

And there I stood transfixed on the horrible sight before me.

This is exactly what I watched happen to a Blackwater 100.
It was in the Pindoc in Riverside's shop and I had just finished test playing it when the owner arrived.
I had the wrench to remove the legs but his buddy was in a hurry and they were "Just going around the corner."
I had a bad vibe but the guy wouldn't listen, he kept saying "It will be fine, we're just going around the corner."
The strap loosened and fell off as he was exiting the parking lot but he was too far away to hear me yelling.
We watched as the light turned green and he made his left onto Van Buren and the game did a slow motion roll and landed upside down in the intersection.
It just exploded and we went down and helped drag it to the side of the road.
The guy was so bummed he just said can you use it for parts, you can have it and drove off.
I looked for a banana cab for about a year before giving up and selling all the parts.

If you can source a head for it you should be able to put it all back together, those pics made me sick.

Haste makes waste.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 7.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mint-lotr-now-crushedwaaaah/page/2?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.