7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by homebrood
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 7 years ago

Working on a Captain Fantastic. Mostly all working, but a few minor issues I could use help with. A buddy helped me yesterday to diagnose and resolve issues with 10 and 100 point relays locking on. All scoring is now working properly. Late yesterday I moved the pin to another room, and that required removing the head so had to pull the 3 Jones plugs in the backbox. Upon setup I notice the "Ball in Play" light wasn't working on the panel. Used the schematics to find the common pin for that on the Jones plug, and then cleaned all pins and receptacles on all 3 Jones plugs in the backbox - issue solved.

Remaining issues I haven't been able to solve using the schematics:

1 - Over the Top buzzer does not sound when 100,000 score is reached. I tested this on Player 1 and on Player 2. Both have the same problem, but on both players the 100,000 light on the back panel does come on when a score of 100,000 is reached. What might cause the buzzer to not sound even though the 100,000 display lamp comes on?

2 - The knocker works when it should work, but it is weak. Not the loud thwack it used to be. Plunger moves freely so I'm thinking not enough current is being delivered? Any thoughts on where to check for the cause?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

#2 7 years ago

If I remember correctly,(hopefully others will chime in) there is a bulb that needs to light on the inside of cabinet towards the front on left for that to work. Do you have that bulb and does it work?(bulb good)

Find the switch on the score motor that is responsible for the knock. Clean/adjust as needed. Make sure screws that attach knocker assembly to cabinet are tight. Check to see if coil sleeve and plunger are clean.

#3 7 years ago

Here's a post from 2008 on RGP when we had Team-EM. See if it may help you also. If link doesn't get you there, go to RGP and search Captain Fantastic buzzer not working.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/Captain$20fantastic$20buzzer$20not$20working/rec.games.pinball/skioE6EVy1s

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Here's a post from 2008 on RGP when we had Team-EM. See if it may help you also. If link doesn't get you there, go to RGP and search Captain Fantastic buzzer not working.
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/Captain$20fantastic$20buzzer$20not$20working/rec.games.pinball/skioE6EVy1s

Of course that link won't work! : (

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Find the switch on the score motor that is responsible for the knock. Clean/adjust as needed. Make sure screws that attach knocker assembly to cabinet are tight. Check to see if coil sleeve and plunger are clean.

Using the schematic, how do I identify the switch on the score motor that is responsible for the knock? In other words, if I find the switch listed on the schematic, how can I identify what physical switch it is on the score motor? Yeah, a newbie question for sure.

#6 7 years ago

Ok, I spent some time with the schematic and I'm catching on in terms of how to relate what is on the schematic to the physical components in the machine. Got both problems fixed. For the record, here is what I found:

1 - Over the Top buzzer does not sound when 100,000 score is reached. I cleaned the socket for the timing bulb by the Over the Top Relay and reinstalled the bulb. Bulb lights for about 2 seconds when 100,000 score is reached, so that is working properly. But no buzzer. Checked the buzzer by applying power directly to it, and it buzzes - so buzzer is functional. Cleaned the contacts on the Over the Top relay, all clean and working as expected, but still no buzzer. Jumpered in parallel with the red/white wire from the connection on the Over the Top relay directly to the buzzer - buzzer works when Over the Top relay is activated!! Metered for continuity on the red/white wire between the connection on the Over the Top relay and the male portion of the Jones plug - good continuity. Metered for continuity on the red/white wire between the male portion of the Jones plug and the female portion of the Jones plug - no continuity! Pulled that Jones plug, cleaned all the male pins with a wire wheel in a Dremel and cleaned the contacts in the female portion with a flexstone, reassembled and tested - buzzer now works properly!

2 - The knocker works when it should work, but it is weak. This was an improperly gapped contact pair on the credit unit. Closed up the gap a bit with a couple of adjust/test cycles until the knocker has a nice solid "thwack" sound.

Thanks Cash_Riprock for the help!

#7 7 years ago

Well congratulations on the fix RoyF! I don't think I did much, but you're welcome. : ) Great tech-ing for sure on your end! Most of the time you can get away without the schematics,(at least for me)but I always have them. Enjoy your game.

#8 7 years ago

Great follow up explanation on the solution! Always like when people don't abandon a thread when they fix things. It's good for all of us to hear how you fixed it so Thanks! Great Game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/minor-issues-with-cf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.