Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm looking to bring a Comet playfield up to a playable level disregarding restoring the artwork.
The playfield has pretty much turned to chalk on the lower half and is bare wood in a few spots.
I've vacuumed it to remove old dust and loose paint.

My question is what should I do to bring this up to decent playing condition.
Is using a non abrasive cleaner like simple green the right way to start or would it be better to lose some more paint and get a better cleaning with an abrasive cleaner?
Are there any tips for waxing a playfield with bare wood spots? I'd like to make it as smooth as possible but is that even possible given there's a height difference between printed and bare spots.

Thanks in advance

#2 7 years ago

Try naphtha for cleaning.

Wax doesn't work too well on bare wood since it is porous. If you don't plan on repainting, restoring, or clear coating, they mylar might be your best option. Just keep in mind that this will severely hamper the possibility of playfield restoration in the future.

#3 7 years ago

I hadn't thought about the wax not liking the porous wood.
Would wax also make it tougher to restore later as it would be pulled into the wood?
Would the relatively uneven surface create any issues with mylar? I can picture it being tough to keep air out when laying it down.

It doesn't seem like there are any good options to maintain the ability to restore it in the future (not a main goal but would be nice) and still have it play well now.

#4 7 years ago

You could always fill the bare wood with wood filler, sand it flat, and mylar that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/minimum-viable-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.