5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by oxowhiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

How do you figure out the minimum voltage / current is required to operate an EM coil? For Example I have some Bally score reels with CD-29-1600 Coils (Solenoids).

I know they typically run off of AC(28VAC?), but I have read they can work off of DC as well. DC power supplies are much more common than AC, so I would really like to know the DC voltage minimum. Reading around pinside, DC seems to be recommended at 24VDC. But could 20VDC be enough, 12VDC?

I ask because I can't seem to find any sort of data sheet on the coils.

#3 5 years ago

Thank you for the link, and it has some great info. However, it does not seem to touch on DC voltage for coils. Only thing I did find was "higher the voltage applied" the stronger the action.

So in that sense it seems like voltage could be so low that there is not enough power to pull in the coil plunger. That minimum voltage is what I am trying to find.

Does anyone know what this is or have documentation on a voltage curve or something? Or is it basically go buy a variable power supply then guess and check?

#4 5 years ago

Bally tends to operate at 43v, not 24v like other ems

I don't think you'll find much info on a DC equivalent, not something people trend to need to know.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

How do you figure out the minimum voltage / current is required to operate an EM coil?

Or is it basically go buy a variable power supply then guess and check?

That's a big question, and experimentation as you suggest might be the best answer.

Any coil will 'work' at any AC or DC voltage in the sense that when you put current through the coil, it will generate a magnetic field. So the coil itself does what it can with the available current. It gets complicated though when you try to harness that magnetic field into something useful with a mechanical linkage of some sort. Unless the magnetic field generated by the coil is strong enough to overcome the springs, armatures, plungers, levers, etc. that it's trying to move, the energy put into the coil ends up generating heat rather than motion.

On a relay for example, any current run through the coil is wasted until it reaches the level where the generated magnetic field can overcome the strength of the armature spring, the inertia of the armature and the tension of the switch leaves. It's like opening a glass jar for the first time. You can twist the lid a fair amount with no result until you apply enough torque to overcome the seal. Only then will the mechanical things start 'working'. Solenoids that pull plungers have the same problem, just more so. The solenoid's magnetic field has to overcome more spring tension and the inertia of moving parts.

Once you've supplied enough current to get things moving, there's still room for improvement. More current will make the relay or solenoid more reliable, or snappier, or more able to launch the ball up the ramp, etc. How much extra current is necessary above the minimum will depend on the situation. And of course at a certain point more current won't improve performance on some devices any more, it'll just make things run hotter.

When applying AC vs. DC current to the coil, you probably can get away with a lower voltage with DC than with AC. That's because the current from an AC supply spends a lot of the time at or near zero since it crosses between positive and negative many times per second. DC is constant so there is no time when the current drops. If you're using DC on solenoid coils you'll want to include diodes across the solder lugs to minimize arcing across whatever switch (mechanical switch or transistor) is turning the current on and off.

/Mark

#6 5 years ago

So then one last stupid question. Is there any resource that has the recommended ("default") voltage by coil/solenoid type. Like you could type in the coil part number, and have its info show up?

Or is the best bet to find this to grab the schematics for a machine and see what voltage is supplied to the coil?

#7 5 years ago

Or is the best bet to find this to grab the schematics for a machine and see what voltage is supplied to the coil

Yep

1 month later
    #8 4 years ago

A coil that's driven by AC has a higher resistance (actually impedance) than the same coil driven by DC. Therefore 24v DC will provide a greater current through the same coil than 24v AC. The force of a coil depends on current and number of windings.

In my experience an AC coil will start working at somewhere between 6v or 12v. Best way to test is to use a Lab power supply and just turn up the voltage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/minimum-em-coil-voltage-current?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.