Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by nman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Mini playfields, want or pass?”

• Love em, more games should have them. 51 votes
      60%
    • Hate them, wasted space. 27 votes
      32%
    • Oops, I thought this was another what's the next game speculation thread. 7 votes
      8%

(85 votes)

#1 8 years ago

Wasted space or another dimension to the game?
    Generally I'm not a fan but I find a few games that do execute it well. (WPT). In general I have the feeling that it's space could have been used better.
    What are your thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Love TSPP and the shadows, not really a fan of the WOZ right hand mini.

#3 8 years ago

Love actual mini playfields like WOZ, TZ, TSPP. Meh on ones that dominate the game like BK2K, Popeye, Wrestlemania. Verdict out on GOT until we see how long it plays and how important it is.

#4 8 years ago

No poll options between Love 'Em or Hate 'Em??? Layout and gameplay quality among mini playfields can vary as much as on the games that contain them.

#5 8 years ago

Did you have me in mind when you started this thread?

Generally speaking: no. But there are quite a few exceptions. Wh20 (I consider it an upper PF, not a mini PF though). Same with BK2000.

Stewie Pinball probably did more to ruin mini PF's for me than anything. And of course that was followed up later by the so called mini pf on TF!

#6 8 years ago

Sold Family Guy despite being a fan of the show because I HATED Stewie Pinball. Got so old and repetitive. Also didn't much care for the upper playfield in TSPP. Can't really think of any pin I've ever truly loved that had a upper playfield. Love my ACDC Prem, but least favorite part of the pin is the lower playfield.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

Sold Family Guy despite being a fan of the show because I HATED Stewie Pinball. Got so old and repetitive. Also didn't much care for the upper playfield in TSPP. Can't really think of any pin I've ever truly loved that had a upper playfield. Love my ACDC Prem, but least favorite part of the pin is the lower playfield.

You can just turn mini pinball off in settings, that's what the local op did when a Shrek was around here. It worked great, never played Shrek again.

#8 8 years ago

Love my Elektra mini-playfield!

#9 8 years ago

Enjoy
    1) FG is fun and unique hard to make shots, and something I wanted to achieve every time.
    2) TZ fun that its flipper less and took a bit to master
    3) Shadow - wow what a fun idea
    4) TSSP - key to game play and a little hard
    5) IJ - impossible is it even a mini playfield! Its great in so many ways I want to master it!
    Dislike
    1) WOZ they both just don't do it for me… I don't care to spell rescue it seems like they are trying to hard
    2) GOT - see above and yes I get to speculate!
    3) AC/DC - one of those shots I hope I don't start
    4) LOTR - its just crap give me a shot of making a difference nudge my a$$

#10 8 years ago

Depends on the game. Black Hole, Black Knight, and WWFRR are a few of my favorites. AC/DC great game but the lower PF not so much fun

#11 8 years ago

It is nice on Pinbot, makes use of wasted space above the pop bumpers and it is clear, so nothing is hidden.

#12 8 years ago

Like anything they can be good or bad. I prefer the kind that come standard on a game and I don't have to pay 1200ish extra for.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

No poll options between Love 'Em or Hate 'Em??? Layout and gameplay quality among mini playfields can vary as much as on the games that contain them.

True, tried to edit but it would only let me edit the post and not the poll

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

exactly. bad poll options.

i am ok with mini playfields generally but i hesitate to say i *love* them. the tiny one on Shrek / FG is stupid. The upcoming Game of Thrones one looks pretty cool. I do really like WoZ's mini playfields. Dunno if Black Hole counts, but its lower playfield is fantastic.

#15 8 years ago

The only good upper PFs I can think of the Shadow and TBL that's about it. Lower or upper usually don't add much to the game, I much rather have a few more toys. I like the cool toys in the older pins: TZ, MM, STTNG,Tommy, LAH, JD and FH.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I like the cool toys in the older pins: TZ, MM, STTNG,Tommy, LAH, JD and FH.

No love for TZ mini PF then?

#17 8 years ago

I really like the lower playfield on AC/DC. For me it adds a new dimension to the game. Additionally, non-pinheads really seem to enjoy going to "hell" and it makes them that much more enthusiastic about playing pinball.

#18 8 years ago

I enjoy it on The Shadow and Swords of Fury. I particularly like it on the Shadow, doesn't get old for me at all.

#19 8 years ago

Jungle Lord, bad mini upper left playfield, but still love the game.
    Pinbot, Elektra, TZ, Shadow, love 'em.

#20 8 years ago

In general I dislike them. I always think, if I wanted a miniature pinball game I'd get one. This is supposed to a big pinball table. But TZ is fun because it's so random, although you play it a little too much.
    IJ tilting pf is great, too bad buggy software screws it up after you collect the Pit.
    TSPP not a fan. Seems more tedious than fun.
    WoZ, nope, neither one of them. But during multiball it's awesome trying to work those shots and main pf shots (and getting scoring multipliers), so here's hoping GOT has some multiball that combines both pf's.

#21 8 years ago

Mini playfields can be a lot of fun when done well. TZ and TSPP are very fun examples of mini playfields. I think TSPP is very well integrated into the game and the combination of lock targets, lock ramp, the TV, and TV shots make for fun shooting up there. TZ is simple but awesome - the magnet flips, sounds, and satisfaction when you avoid danger and get the big payoff through the top hole make it a lot of fun. Both of these don't ever feel like they're in the way or detract from the look of the game, definitely helps TZ is a widebody in this case.

Some mini playfields are not quite as fun or don't fit smoothly with the playfield design. Family Guy for example - cool idea but I don't like how it's this big box of a thing in the upper right that the ball disappears under. Not quite as elegant as other designs. WPT works but just seems uninspired to me.

#22 8 years ago

I absolutly love mini playfields! Upper and lower! Although I do find lower playfields better in most games.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I absolutly love mini playfields! Upper and lower! Although I do find lower playfields better in most games.

Interesting.

Have you owned Congo? It's another example of a pin with a mini pf that I hate. But at least it doesn't take up any valuable space from the main pf.

#24 8 years ago

Where is the option, "I like some mini playfields?"

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Interesting.
    Have you owned Congo? It's another example of a pin with a mini pf that I hate. But at least it doesn't take up any valuable space from the main pf.

Yeah I have. I Congo is one mini playfield I actually don't like. I was talking more Elektra, Black Hole and Haunted House type stuff.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yeah I have. I Congo is one mini playfield I actually don't like. I was talking more Elektra, Black Hole and Haunted House type stuff.

I'm with you there.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Where is the option, "I like some mini playfields?"

Tried to edit, it won't let me add another option. If I'm doing something wrong, let me know..

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Tried to edit, it won't let me add another option. If I'm doing something wrong, let me know..

The Poll, can't be edited, that is just fine. We are just ribbing you. All is GOOD.

Pinsiders need to make a difference from a Mini Playfield and just a raised part of the playfield. Mini Playfield should have at least 1 flipper (or something like a flipper) just like a regular Playfield. Other wise like PinBot it just has a bagatelle.

#29 8 years ago

From the machines I've own/owned, I think TZ is my favorite. Elvis actually has a pretty fun upper PF thats pretty challenging. I really didn't like TSPPs for some reason.

#30 8 years ago

Love them on IJ and TZ. Like them on WOZ. As others have said, I don't like huge upper playfields (e.g., Popeye). I do enjoy multi-level games, especially WH20. These sound like pretty typical responses.

#31 8 years ago

I like the one on WOOLY.

#32 8 years ago

I like the mini playfields on any of the games I have WWFRR Super Mario and TSPP. I like Banzai runs upper playfield but I'm not sure that counts as mini

#33 8 years ago

My two fav mini pf are TZ and wh20.

#34 8 years ago

I like them if they are done well enough.

Like for example Black hole. Think thats the best miniplayfield ever.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Twilight1:

My two fav mini pf are TZ and wh20.

Agreed but wh20 is more of a upper play field rather than a mini

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from coz6:

Dislike LOTR - its just crap give me a shot of making a difference nudge my a$$

Well if you can't nudge it, you do have the option of using the standup targets to light all the rollovers...

#37 8 years ago

I am a big fan of mini pf's. My favorite is Shadow (I own). Second is acdc (own too). Least favorite is Woz (played, do not own). The reason I like mini's is it gets you to focus on a much smaller space for a small period of time, I like that. Most of the game is within the larger pf after all. It really seems to keep me on my toes while playing a mini...kida like a rush of adrenaline for 45 seconds. The reward is when it's over and you get a breather by returning to the main pf lol!

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Well if you can't Nudge it, you do have the option of using the standup targets to light all the rollovers...

And thats what I love about the game - I'll never know all those rules! Thanks

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

I like them if they are done well enough.
    Like for example Black hole. Think thats the best miniplayfield ever.

Agreed. Elektra is great too.

Wh20 is my favorite game overall but I think the mini/upper/whatever playfield is just ok.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mini-playfields-are-you-a-fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.