Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by martymart
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martymart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I am currently working through a Doctor Who pinball I recently purchased. I have now got to the mini playfield and I have noticed that someone previously has used grease on the main bracket instead of silicone grease.

Has anyone else had the same issue and if so what was the technique used to clean the grease off. I was going to use some degreaser and wash it off with water or a damp rag but I did not want to get to a stage where it starts to rust out either.

#3 3 years ago

I think you are correct. In this case they have used a grease that is not silicone based. My understanding is it should be a silicone based grease as this will not collect dirt and dust. I was looking to clean the bracket and then use silicone grease although not sure the best way to clean it.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Agree with all.
That old grease turns into concrete. Get that old stuff off if it really bothers you but I would not sweat it too much. Get it as clean as you can, put on the new lube and call it a day. I like the silicone spray.
While the brackets are out: look for any chow marks that look like it's cutting into the metal. As long as they are straight the lube does not do much. If there's signs of grinding ... that needs to be resolved.
faz

Thanks to all. All your feedback helps me with what I need to get done on the weekend.

Great link to the Mini Playfield repair instructions.

Does the silicone spray work ok compared to the silicone grease.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Here is my 2 cents on the spray versus grease. When I had my mini playfield out, I first tried the silicone spray, ran it up and down for hours and then cleaned it. Then applied silicone grease, I then ran it for the same amount of time and just saw a bigger improvement in action of movement as far as smoothness. No binding, less noise, more surface coverage than the spray. Again, this is no way an endorsement or recommendation for either product, just my experience with both products. Others may have have had great results with the spray product, I just tested both.

Great feedback and thanks for sharing your experience. I thought this may be the case with the spray. I think I will go with the grease based on this and see how it goes.

#13 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone on this topic. The isopropyl alcohol ate through the grease and it was so easy to clean up. The silicone grease makes the playfield run so smooth. The mini playfield guide is a great resource and I recommend it to anyone looking to fix up their Doctor Who mini playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martymart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mini-playfield-main-bracket-has-grease-on-it?tu=martymart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.