3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160812_214425_(resized).jpg
    Micro_DMD_software_screen_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160813-103405_(resized).png
    a208c4f6e9789ba2e83f2f79e428b8e3aa7fe09f_(resized).jpg
    2016_08_13_08_14_11_Greenshot_(resized).png
    20160812_211050_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calico1997.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hi All,

I've been toying with the idea of providing these mini messaging dot matrix devices that will basically accommodate any machine with 6.3V AC power via one of the GI lamp sockets. It provides animated text that can be entered into the device via your PC. It turns on when your pin machine is turned on, off when your machine is off, and remembers your settings. Has brightness and speed settings. Can scroll text in various directions, do some very basic graphics, and do some basic gif animations. Target price of $24.95. 3.5 x 1 inch (9 x 2.5 cm). You can for example have it flash famous call out quotes like "LIONMAN!" or "Destroy Centaur..." etc. Or it can scroll game rules..what ever you want. Can mount in various positions within your machine. See enclosed pic and video. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. I have a few samples made up.

Thanks.

20160812_211050_(resized).jpg

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Any options on the color?

Great question! Yes, there are some options for color, but the non red ones are a little more expensive. Aside from red, what other 2 or 3 colors would be popular? I was actually thinking "DMD Orange" would be a nice matching look.

2016_08_13_08_14_11_Greenshot_(resized).png

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

Great mod...but you reminded me that selling my sof was so stupid...hahahahhaha

I miss every pin I sold or traded.

#16 3 years ago

My inspiration for this little dot display was that I recently got a Centaur and the designer Jim Patla said it actually had a mini dot matrix display in the tradeshow prototype model animating the motorcycle guy riding out on the playflied. He said he even still has the cut out for it. That would have been way ahead of its time for 1981. They didn't do it commercially because of cost. I wonder where the display would have been placed in the playfield? Perhaps I will try contacting him to find out.

a208c4f6e9789ba2e83f2f79e428b8e3aa7fe09f_(resized).jpg

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

What about a version that holds more than one line of text? You could connect it to various lamps on the matrix, so it will start the text when the corresponding shot is lit.

It can hold about 32k bytes of text, so you can input rule cards, slogans, etc. and have it go through the lines of text it in any sequence you set it up for. Personally I got some rule cards in WORD document format and just did a copy-and-paste from WORD into the device and now it reads off the rule card text. But getting it to say specific things tied to a specific controlled light would be much more complex. It would need a multi-input controller and that would add to the cost. Great idea though. I will look into it.

#25 3 years ago

Here is the Windows input screen it uses...

Micro_DMD_software_screen_(resized).png

#26 3 years ago

By the way it is a little under 1 CM thick. Does not weigh much, so I was just planning to attach with something like 3M Command tape or hook-loop fastener.

20160812_214425_(resized).jpg

#32 3 years ago

Thanks Everyone for your input and feedback! I wanted to check if other people liked the idea before I invested in the time and parts for multiple units. These are to be custom made specifically for pinball, so will take a little time to get it right. Looks like enough people are interested, so I will start working on this device and contact you as soon as they are available. It will be weeks out because I need to order parts from China, etc.

Best regards,

calico1997
    BriteMods.com

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.99
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 41.00
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calico1997.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside