Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Lonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160812_214425_(resized).jpg
    Micro_DMD_software_screen_(resized).png
    Screenshot_20160813-103405_(resized).png
    a208c4f6e9789ba2e83f2f79e428b8e3aa7fe09f_(resized).jpg
    2016_08_13_08_14_11_Greenshot_(resized).png
    20160812_211050_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hi All,

I've been toying with the idea of providing these mini messaging dot matrix devices that will basically accommodate any machine with 6.3V AC power via one of the GI lamp sockets. It provides animated text that can be entered into the device via your PC. It turns on when your pin machine is turned on, off when your machine is off, and remembers your settings. Has brightness and speed settings. Can scroll text in various directions, do some very basic graphics, and do some basic gif animations. Target price of $24.95. 3.5 x 1 inch (9 x 2.5 cm). You can for example have it flash famous call out quotes like "LIONMAN!" or "Destroy Centaur..." etc. Or it can scroll game rules..what ever you want. Can mount in various positions within your machine. See enclosed pic and video. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. I have a few samples made up.

Thanks.

20160812_211050_(resized).jpg20160812_211050_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I'm in for one

#3 7 years ago

I would definitely toy with a couple.

#4 7 years ago

Any options on the color?

#5 7 years ago

One for me!

#6 7 years ago

I'm down for one.

#7 7 years ago

If you're able to keep the price low (24.95$ ) you will sell a ton of this.

#8 7 years ago

Great mod...but you reminded me that selling my sof was so stupid...hahahahhaha

#9 7 years ago

I would love to grab two of these. Awesome little project!

#10 7 years ago

Hope the shipping will not kill it

Great DIY-mod

#11 7 years ago

Yep, I would find a spot for a couple...great price!

#13 7 years ago

Yep

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Any options on the color?

Great question! Yes, there are some options for color, but the non red ones are a little more expensive. Aside from red, what other 2 or 3 colors would be popular? I was actually thinking "DMD Orange" would be a nice matching look.

2016_08_13_08_14_11_Greenshot_(resized).png2016_08_13_08_14_11_Greenshot_(resized).png

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

Great mod...but you reminded me that selling my sof was so stupid...hahahahhaha

I miss every pin I sold or traded.

#16 7 years ago

My inspiration for this little dot display was that I recently got a Centaur and the designer Jim Patla said it actually had a mini dot matrix display in the tradeshow prototype model animating the motorcycle guy riding out on the playflied. He said he even still has the cut out for it. That would have been way ahead of its time for 1981. They didn't do it commercially because of cost. I wonder where the display would have been placed in the playfield? Perhaps I will try contacting him to find out.

a208c4f6e9789ba2e83f2f79e428b8e3aa7fe09f_(resized).jpga208c4f6e9789ba2e83f2f79e428b8e3aa7fe09f_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from calico1997:

I miss every pin I sold or traded.

So do I.... Great mod for a fair price, btw!

#18 7 years ago

2 for me

#19 7 years ago

What about a version that holds more than one line of text? You could connect it to various lamps on the matrix, so it will start the text when the corresponding shot is lit.

#20 7 years ago

In for 2. Pm sent.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from calico1997:

Great question! Yes, there are some options for color, but the non red ones are a little more expensive. Aside from red, what other 2 or 3 colors would be popular? I was actually thinking "DMD Orange" would be a nice matching look.

I think blue, red, and orange would all have applications depending on the machine.

#22 7 years ago

I will take one.

#23 7 years ago

This would work for Ghostbusters. ECTO1A had a dmd on the roof. . One saying was "WE BELIEVE YOU"

How many lines of text can be programmed?

Screenshot_20160813-103405_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160813-103405_(resized).png

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

What about a version that holds more than one line of text? You could connect it to various lamps on the matrix, so it will start the text when the corresponding shot is lit.

It can hold about 32k bytes of text, so you can input rule cards, slogans, etc. and have it go through the lines of text it in any sequence you set it up for. Personally I got some rule cards in WORD document format and just did a copy-and-paste from WORD into the device and now it reads off the rule card text. But getting it to say specific things tied to a specific controlled light would be much more complex. It would need a multi-input controller and that would add to the cost. Great idea though. I will look into it.

#25 7 years ago

Here is the Windows input screen it uses...

Micro_DMD_software_screen_(resized).pngMicro_DMD_software_screen_(resized).png

#26 7 years ago

By the way it is a little under 1 CM thick. Does not weigh much, so I was just planning to attach with something like 3M Command tape or hook-loop fastener.

20160812_214425_(resized).jpg20160812_214425_(resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

Are these custom or are they the same ones you can get on eBay(found under "scrolling name tags")?

Looks like yours is 11x44 and most of the ones I'm looking at on eBay are the same.

#28 7 years ago

Would love one for my laser war! SHOOT THE ION CANON!

#29 7 years ago

Count me in for one. How do we order?

#30 7 years ago

If they were available in white LEDs, you could use a colored gel to make any color you wanted.

#32 7 years ago

Thanks Everyone for your input and feedback! I wanted to check if other people liked the idea before I invested in the time and parts for multiple units. These are to be custom made specifically for pinball, so will take a little time to get it right. Looks like enough people are interested, so I will start working on this device and contact you as soon as they are available. It will be weeks out because I need to order parts from China, etc.

Best regards,

calico1997
    BriteMods.com

#33 7 years ago

I'm in. Is there a 12v version?

#34 7 years ago

Wow, very cool. I'm also in for one.

#35 7 years ago

Yes I'm in

#36 7 years ago

Interested in 2 thanks

#37 7 years ago

I'm in

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from calico1997:

Thanks Everyone for your input and feedback! I wanted to check if other people liked the idea before I invested in the time and parts for multiple units. These are to be custom made specifically for pinball, so will take a little time to get it right. Looks like enough people are interested, so I will start working on this device and contact you as soon as they are available. It will be weeks out because I need to order parts from China, etc.
    Best regards,
    calico1997
    BriteMods.com

Custom for pinball? What is custom? Just a voltage change and removing the battery?

#39 7 years ago

I have interest these a few of these also.

#40 7 years ago

Very cool mod! I love it!

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Custom for pinball? What is custom? Just a voltage change and removing the battery?

If you suspect it's that easy get it from eBay since you have no intention of buying these.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Ive made a couple from Ebay in the thoughts of selling them.

Small time conversion, or larger volume purchase for it fabricated as Plug and play, didnt fit for me as a business.

I would gladly pay the extra $10, if someone like the OP is offering to do all this work for me.

Offering a very fair price to have it ready to go.....

#43 7 years ago

This will be great. Keep this at a great price point and you will sell hundreds!

#44 7 years ago

Great mod and I could always snag it off the machine for trade shows badge.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive made a couple from Ebay in the thoughts of selling them.
    Small time conversion, or larger volume purchase for it fabricated as Plug and play, didnt fit for me as a business.
    I would gladly pay the extra $10, if someone like the OP is offering to do all this work for me.
    Offering a very fair price to have it ready to go.....

Yeah, my buddy put one on his mame cab and it was pretty easy. I'd still buy one if he's got software planned with pinball'ish fonts or sprites or something, so I'm curious what he means by custom.

2 months later
    #46 7 years ago

Any progress on this idea?

#47 7 years ago

I would be in for at least one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mini-message-dmd-anyone-interested and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.