IMG_0323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0322 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0321 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0320 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0318 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0253 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Wish it was bigger. Hoping Arcade 1UP makes one.

They probably will, although this is the first mini-Cade that I’ve thought about getting. It does look slick

#12 3 years ago

I have to admit I don’t like the control panel on SF2, and the other games released haven’t been favourites of mine, so I haven’t bought any of them.

BUT, once you set them all up together with the change machine it looks really, really cool. There need to be a cigarette vending machine added too at some time. Ya know, to get that 80’s look.

Edit. I think I saw that polybuis will be their next Kickstarter, the game doesn’t play, it’s just a charger I think.

EB6C7FC2-F341-4F7E-903D-6FF4B29B3BE2 (resized).jpegEB6C7FC2-F341-4F7E-903D-6FF4B29B3BE2 (resized).jpeg8DB8DAC3-1AEE-4B4C-B7AE-254C03D45CB1 (resized).jpeg8DB8DAC3-1AEE-4B4C-B7AE-254C03D45CB1 (resized).jpeg

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I think polybius was an April fool's joke?
I think these things are pretty cool. The company has had really good customer support in my experience. The only complaint I'd have is that they never make their Kickstarter deadlines. I think dragon's lair was 7 or 8 months late. But other than that I recommend their stuff.

Nope. It was funded last week
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1886976084/the-polybius-quarter-scale-arcade-cab

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

That's a different company. Also a different scale. The picture above is from an April fool's post. https://mobile.twitter.com/NewWaveToys/status/980559306117464065

My bad, thanks for the correction. I thought it was the same guys and the same size; guess I’m wrong.

Either way there’s more and more of these tiny arcades everyday, and their pretty cool looking in a collection.

2 months later
#52 3 years ago

Just follow stern with this one. Change something superficial and call them premium instead of limited.

2 years later
#207 1 year ago

I’m really kicking myself because I didn’t get these as they came out. Originally I thought they were kinda lame, like SF2 and it’s tiny joysticks, but now that there’s a bunch of them, I’d really like the whole set. They really look amazing.

1 month later
#304 1 year ago

I thought the numskull cabinets were 1/4 scale and the new wave were 1/6 scale. Are they the same size?

#309 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

If you're ready to pay.....[quoted image]

….and those are in USD. In Canadian money I think with the conversion they’re like a bagillion dollars each

#311 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

I hope they do Ikari Warriers, Heavy Barrel and Forgotten Worlds with the rotary joysticks. That would be cool!

I don’t think I’ve seen anybody remake those LS30 rotary joysticks, let alone a mini version. I’ve had a craving to play S.A.R. Search and Rescue for a couple years but the last time I went looking for a good rotary joystick I couldn’t find one. I’m really wanting an Arcade1up with a good rotary stick, then I would mod it to have all of those games in one cabinet

10 months later
#521 63 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

As-is sale going on now. $39 for broken or damaged cabs.

Thanks. Got one

#523 62 days ago

This was what I scored, gotta love it when shipping is more than the product.

IMG_0313 (resized).jpegIMG_0313 (resized).jpeg
#526 58 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

That last sale 3 to 4 days ago was for nonplayable units. Hope everyone who ordered one knows that before they ordered......!

Yeah, it’s a bit of a lottery ticket. It could be anything from a scratch in the cabinet to completely dead. I’ll let you guys know how I make out.

#544 57 days ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I thought on the site it specifically said they weren't playable? not just scratch and dent etc. That's why I didn't order one. Don't want a unplayable one

Unplayable can be a lot of different things. I’m pretty good with board work when it comes to bodge wires over broken traces and replacing off the shelf components. I think I could repair the control panel in most cases if that was the problem. Even if it’s a bad screen, there might be replacements from china if you search AliExpress. The worst problem would be a bad chip. In that case I’d probably attempt a raspberry pi conversion. Even the really small orangepi zero boards can emulate some mame games

I’m excited for the project.

#547 56 days ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Hopefully it's just a fuse

It’s probably just the power switch .

#548 55 days ago

Well I guess we’ll never know……. Now I gotta figure this shit out.

IMG_0316 (resized).jpegIMG_0316 (resized).jpeg
#551 55 days ago

Nothing on the app, and the website looks equally useless. I’ll try and figure it out tomorrow.

#552 55 days ago

I sent an email to New Wave Toys and got an automated response saying it could take 5-10 days for a human to review my issue and get back to me

1 week later
#555 45 days ago

17 days later and it’s out for delivery, back at NWT in California. Hopefully it doesn’t take long to get a refund.

I sent them a message when it was rejected by Canada customs, and their response was a link to USPS tracking, and they said it was processing through customs and on its way to the final location. My response was a link to Canada post that showed it as rejected by customs here, and it’s heading back their way. They haven’t responded back, but I assume that tomorrow I’ll get a message when they realize what’s going on.

#557 44 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Canada is a LONG way away.
The people there talk funny, and its hard for the post office to translate
AND what the f#ck is Poutine......

It’s only going from Ontario (California) to Ontario (Canada) can’t be that bad. Well actually it’s coming from Compton and I live in Kitchener; about 4000km away.

Update on system:
They’re going to attempt to send it by UPS.

AND poutine is fucking delicious, that’s all you need to know, eh.

#572 41 days ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It's a bit more than that.. Fries with fresh (squeaky) cheese curds and brown gravy. That's the traditional poutine. Americans tend to just shove any cheese and any kitchen gravy in there and call it poutine. Works but not quite the same.
Yes I'm Canadian and even from Quebec. Not a fan of poutine but I do know how it's made lol.

For me it’s very crispy fries, thick mushroom or beef gravy and fresh cheese curds.

New York fries and Harvey’s make decent poutine, but I think those are mostly Canadian franchises. Don’t come to a Canadian McDonald’s and consider their poutine to be “good”

#575 40 days ago
IMG_7104 (resized).pngIMG_7104 (resized).png
#589 37 days ago

12 000km
+ $60 for shipping
+ $40 for replicade
+ 25 days
+ one broken game.

= Priceless

I just got home and quickly unpacked my game, everything looks like a new game. It turned on, looks and sounds great! Started a game and the joystick is borked. It will move left, but that’s it. I might have time tonight to dig into this toy and see what makes it work. I’ll keep you guys posted.

IMG_0318 (resized).jpegIMG_0318 (resized).jpegIMG_0319 (resized).jpegIMG_0319 (resized).jpegIMG_0320 (resized).jpegIMG_0320 (resized).jpeg

#590 36 days ago

Well, that was easy.

I started by removing the rubber feet and the screws hidden behind them, to find out you can’t get very far that way. There’s a plastic assembly that is glued in place, I think that would have to come apart to access the motherboard, but not what I’m after today. The bottom of the cabinet give you access to the battery and the ports. The pcb for the ports plug into the main board with a short “hdmi” cable, although I’m pretty sure it’s running a proprietary signal because that daughter board has hdmi, usb charging, and 2 usb for the extra controller. I included a pic of the battery just for reference.IMG_0321 (resized).jpegIMG_0321 (resized).jpegIMG_0322 (resized).jpegIMG_0322 (resized).jpeg

Next I attacked the seams around the device to see what would give way to the electronics inside. Prying at the speakers on the back seemed promising but luckily I didn’t put any force on the plastic. I was able to get an exacto knife blade between the bezel and control panel, and lift the bezel around the screen. The bezel is held on with double sided tape and came free fairly easily. A second black plastic bezel holds the screen in place. I removed the screen and took a quick look at the backside, but I didn’t notice any part numbers, there might be something in fine print, but nothing of note that I saw. IMG_0323 (resized).jpegIMG_0323 (resized).jpegIMG_0324 (resized).jpegIMG_0324 (resized).jpeg

The control panel is held on by two screws, and rotates forward to open. There’s a cable plugged into the control panel that’s easy to remove. Reaching through the cabinet with a long flat head screwdriver allows you to press on the tabs on either edge of the speaker panel at the back to remove that. The speakers are press fit in from the back. Looking through the speaker hole you can get a glimpse of the motherboard and heat sink that covers the chip.IMG_0327 (resized).jpegIMG_0327 (resized).jpegIMG_0325 (resized).jpegIMG_0325 (resized).jpegIMG_0326 (resized).jpegIMG_0326 (resized).jpeg

But let’s get back to the meat and potatoes of this repair, the controls. The pcb for the controller looks pretty straightforward, and the problem here is obvious. The joystick on the pcb is actually a metal shaft with a plastic top section that goes through the control panel and a red ball pushed on top. This plastic section snapped in two, and just needed a bit of glue to hold itself together. IMG_0328 (resized).jpegIMG_0328 (resized).jpegIMG_0329 (resized).jpegIMG_0329 (resized).jpeg

In the end, there’s a bit of glue noticeable on the joystick shaft, but not bad for the price. I kinda wish it was more of a challenge.
IMG_0330 (resized).jpegIMG_0330 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mini-dragons-layer-toy?tu=luckydogg420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.