Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

As the title states, just wondering if anyone else finds themselves playing rather mindlessly when playing 'for fun'.

That is to say, not shooting for any particular modes, or thinking about your score, but just going through the playfield 'shots' as they come.

I often find myself jolted out of the trance with a bad shot and a drain.. but you still get that odd game where you look back at several minutes of that play, and recall the smoothest shots of all.

If this sounds familiar, what's your most memorable game for this?

#2 4 years ago

I have a better game on my Interflip Dragon if I din't think about what to do then actually trying, so yeah, I can relate

#3 4 years ago

I absolutely do this. Its a very zen sort of thing.

Not sure if I am able to remember specific memorable times, but I will say this... I always walk away happier after playing this way than I do when I try to play according to my ‘tournament plan’ (and generally underperform anyway)

#4 4 years ago

This is pretty much why I play.

#5 4 years ago

No. If I'm mindlessly flipping it's probably time to take a break and do something else.

#6 4 years ago

At my level of knowledge on game rules that practically all I’m doing lol

#7 4 years ago

If I had to catch or trap every ball to make a particular shot each time I'd sell all my machines.

#8 4 years ago

Sometimes I get distracted by the lights and overall aura of all the machines blinking and buzzing that I find myself on auto pilot. It's not a bad thing and kind of relaxing. Also, it depends on how many beers I'm in to the night ha ha.

#9 4 years ago

It's not mindless, I think that's how pinball should be, not catching and trapping. I'd like to see a tourney where if you stop the ball, your turn is up

#10 4 years ago

My first game of the day is often my longest, and also mindless. After that initial game, I usually focus more on getting somewhere in the game. When I am shooting for specific shots, I tend to drain faster than when I am just flipping a game to make shots with no set goal.

#11 4 years ago

Not unless it's a game I hate and I'm just trying to lose

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. If I'm mindlessly flipping it's probably time to take a break and do something else.

Yeah, if it's late night at Expo that's usually my cue it's time to call it a day.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

just wondering if anyone else finds themselves playing rather mindlessly when playing 'for fun'

After half a bottle of Jack and countless bong rips, that's about all I still have the abillity to do.

#14 4 years ago

Some of the best games I've ever had are right after I fix or clean a game and am just running it through the gears, not really paying attention to the score.

#15 4 years ago

Interesting responses thank you. Definitely glad I am not alone.

Some games are just so tempting to keep hitting that shot despite maxing it out, the flow of the game just wants you to keep hitting it. Like those Fish Tales ramps, or T3 A/C ramps, when they are maxed out, just such good flow until you realize the game is not scoring for you anymore

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chron:

At my level of knowledge on game rules that practically all I’m doing lol

Same here. By the time I learn and actually remember what to do on these new machines at league they change them out. I have no real goal or set path. I just shoot away at anything light up, blinking or what ever shot I fancy that day. Sometimes I get really good scores and other times I can have a 5 minute ball and not score a damn thing.

#17 4 years ago

Mindlessly flipping is all I ever do. I play for fun, and that's it. I love getting into a zone where I'm just hitting shots over and over again because I love the sound and light show. Sure I'm conscious of that there are shots I want to make to get a jackpot or something.

Competition play just seems way too stressful, and I have no interest at all in completing modes to move onto other modes so I can progress up the mode ladder. It's pinball, not modeball. I also don't care if I don't make a crucial shot before time runs out. If I can keep the ball in play, and extend the fun I know I'll have another crack at it later in the game.

I seem to get my highest scores when I'm not paying attention to my score at all.

As long as mindlessly flipping is still fun that's all I'll ever want to do.

-Paul

#18 4 years ago

Maybe 'mindless flipping' is the wrong term here for what is really just giving maximum scoring possibilities a lower priority than keeping the ball alive and making a shot that seems fun.

I mean you are still aiming, it's not mindless, also still assessing risk/reward but the reward bit is a lower priority.

I find it depends a lot on the machine, some play really well as 'practice' machines where you can just go a set a non score based goal. Also on the social situation. If i have a competitive mate with me then i will give scoring more consideration than if i'm playing alone drunk.

#19 4 years ago

You guys have been thinking while flipping this whole time? Mind blown!

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Maybe 'mindless flipping' is the wrong term here for what is really just giving maximum scoring possibilities a lower priority than keeping the ball alive and making a shot that seems fun.
    I mean you are still aiming, it's not mindless, also still assessing risk/reward but the reward bit is a lower priority.
    I find it depends a lot on the machine, some play really well as 'practice' machines where you can just go a set a non score based goal. Also on the social situation. If i have a competitive mate with me then i will give scoring more consideration than if i'm playing alone drunk.

Yeah, definitely depends on the game; but even keeping the ball alive means trying to obtain control. What I had in mind was just going with the flow, hitting those ramps a few times more than needed, or hitting the goal in WCS '94 without the goal light ready.. just going with the flow of the game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mindless-flipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.