7.png
6.png
5.png
4.png
3.png
2.png
1.png

#1 9 years ago

If you find yourself in the position I did to day you might save yourself a few scratches in your head and some gray hairs by following this guide.

I suddenly found myself standing with a broken bolt in my TAF upper left flipper assembly. It had simply sheered off (maybe due too the bracket had not been screwed tight enough) and the head was lying in the cab.
1.png1.png

BEFORE YO DO ANYTHING: Unplug the power!

First remove the bracket and coil. While removing, it might be a good idea to clean and inspect the coil sleeve
2.png2.png

Then punch a small mark in the remains of the screw.
3.png3.png

Make sure that the punched mark is in the center. This is VERY important.
4.png4.png

Drill deep into the remains of the screw. Make sure that you choose a drill bit that is way smaller in diameter than the screw (other wise you risk hurting the threads of the 'nut'). It will also be wise to arrange some kind of 'collector' of the metal flaking that will occur when drilling. You would not want that floating around in your pin when you connect the power again..... I used my vacuum cleaner.
5.png5.png

When the hole is drilled use a 'screw extractor' of a proportional size, put it in the newly drilled hole and rotate counter clockwise while applying a mild pressure. 'Screw extractors' are commonly found in most hardware stores for very little money.
6.png6.png

If all goes according to plan the 'screw extractor' will start gripping the inside of the drilled screw and slowly unscrew the broken bit.
7.png7.png

You have now solved the issue and saved the threads of the original nut/plate. Get a replacement screw and bolt all back together.
8.png8.png

I hope this helps you if you ever get in to this kind of trouble....

Cheers
/Micael

#2 9 years ago

Nice pics. Next time i suggest removing the bracket from the game. No reason to take the risk of slipping and drilling the pf.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Nice pics. Next time i suggest removing the bracket from the game. No reason to take the risk of slipping and drilling the pf.

That is a much bigger job, a few hours in stead of fifteen minutes. Since in this case it was a part of the upper left flipper assembly on my TAF, and removing the bracket from the pin itself would include:

a) removing the EOS
b) removing a lot of plastic on top of the play field
c) removing the flipper bat (and all of those parts)
d) replacing all the parts in reversed order when done....
e) re-aligning the flipper bat

So, no; I will do it exactly the same way next time if it occurs again on a flipper assembly. Besides it is close to no risk of slipping and drilling into PF if you take your time and let the power tool and drill bit do the work instead of applying tons of pressure while drilling

Cheers
/Micael

#4 9 years ago

It should take all of 3 minutes to remove that entire bracket. Desolder a few wires, remove the flipper bat, remove 8 hex head screws, and you are done.

Do it however you want, but removing a flipper bracket is way less work then you think.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 9 years ago

I don't think that's a few hours of work. Removing a flipper assembly on a TAF is a 10 minute job at most. Reinstalling it is a similar amount of work.

Having said that, it's your game, do it how you like. I'd remove it, so I'm sure all shavings are outside the machine, but you do it however you want!

#6 9 years ago

good job, thanks for sharing

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I don't think that's a few hours of work. Removing a flipper assembly on a TAF is a 10 minute job at most. Reinstalling it is a similar amount of work.
Having said that, it's your game, do it how you like. I'd remove it, so I'm sure all shavings are outside the machine, but you do it however you want!

If you remove the bracket you can grab the bolt on the back with Vise grips and screw it on through without the need to drill it.
If the drill grabs it while drilling you run the risk of running the broken piece into the PF.

#8 9 years ago

I remove the bracket and grab the broken piece with needle nose Vise Grips. Comes right out.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

i suggest removing the bracket from the game

Quoted from mima:

That is a much bigger job, a few hours in stead of fifteen minutes. ... removing the bracket from the pin itself would include:

a) removing the EOS
b) removing a lot of plastic on top of the play field
c) removing the flipper bat (and all of those parts)
d) replacing all the parts in reversed order when done....
e) re-aligning the flipper bat

Good pics and your screw extraction method is sound, but the first thing I thought to myself on seeing them, was why did he not remove the flipper assembly from the playfield first?

a) No need to remove EOS, why would you do that unless replacing it?
b) No topside work whatsoever other than flipper realignment (requires no part removal for TAF upper left)
c) Removing flipper bat is a simple screw (No other parts)

How does desoldering a couple wires and unscrewing some screws take hours? Like you said, it's your pin and you can do it how you feel most comfortable, but it does seem to be doing it the hard way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
16,500 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Protection
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 159.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mima%c2%b4s-guid-to-remove-a-brogen-boltscrew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.