Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Otaku
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I recently purchased my first pin and have been studying the forum section for a ton of helpful information.
    The pin is in really good shape, with no signs of wear on the PF. It is a 1996 SS Capcom machine. It is a HUO pin.
    The prior owner told me he used Novus 2 as a cleaner and Millwax on the PF.
    I've read tons of threads on the problems with using a silicone, and the general discussions on Novus products.
    If I want to start using carnuba wax, do I need to remove the silicone/millwax product first? If so, how do I go about doing that?
    Also, thinking about longevity, and trying to make sure the PF stays in top shape, should I remove the Millwax?

#2 7 years ago

My suggestion would to use a nonabrasive cleaner (I use opti clean) lightly sprayed on micro fiber cloth to get the PF nice and clean. Then use caurnauba wax on it in the future.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

do I need to remove the silicone/millwax product first?

The negative about millwax is new clearcoat has a hard time adhering to it. Most Capcoms had a very solid clearcoat to begin with. If you aren't going to re-clear it, don't worry about it. Just clean and wax it.

#4 7 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I was also concerned that the wax would not adhere to the silicone, but it sounds like that isn't the case. I don't have any plans to re-clear it any time soon since it is in top shape. Clean and wax. Thank you!

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

I was also concerned that the wax would not adhere to the silicone,

I do a lot of older EMs and millwax was and is a standard item for years. I still use it before the final wax because it cleans and shines like no other. But you don't need it on modern clear coated machines.

I have found Blitz to be my final wax of choice.

#6 7 years ago

Thank you. I just placed an order for some Blitz. This seems to be the choice for many pinheads.

#7 7 years ago

Naptha for cleaning - non abrasive, cleans *everything*, safe for clearcoat and paint. Blitz for wax.

#8 7 years ago

That's what I was thinking too for a cleaner. I read thru a lot of old posts that mentioned using that product.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

I recently purchased my first pin and have been studying the forum section for a ton of helpful information.
    The pin is in really good shape, with no signs of wear on the PF. It is a 1996 SS Capcom machine. It is a HUO pin.
    The prior owner told me he used Novus 2 as a cleaner and Millwax on the PF.
    I've read tons of threads on the problems with using a silicone, and the general discussions on Novus products.
    If I want to start using carnuba wax, do I need to remove the silicone/millwax product first? If so, how do I go about doing that?
    Also, thinking about longevity, and trying to make sure the PF stays in top shape, should I remove the Millwax?

What Capcom pin is it? Just curious...I own a PM...it is a great pin and was ahead of it's time!

#10 7 years ago

Millwax = AWESOME
    IMO of course.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

That's what I was thinking too for a cleaner. I read thru a lot of old posts that mentioned using that product.

Naphtha (lighter fluid) only "cleans" your playfield if it's a little dusty, I never understood the hype, it's only really supposed to remove old wax. Not clean. It does an awful job.

I have delicate EMs and I was scared by Pinside telling me how abrasive Novus is so I used Naphtha and had quite a few dirty playfields for a while and tried to act like it was an improvement. I shopped an EM for a friend who put it on location at his arcade and he paid me to fix the machine, clean it, and wax it - I cleaned it with Napatha and warned him about the "awful" Novus and it looked okay and then the next time I came in he politely told me he went over it with Novus 2 - and it really looked amazing, with no harm done. Night and day difference. Since then I use Novus 2 on my own machines and they turn out great. And I scrub HARD. It's safe. Especially on those new machines above anything, ultra safe, they're all coated.

I have determined that I guess the people who find results with Napatha are cleaning games that have been taken care of and probably deep cleaned already recently, perhaps before they bought it. Kind of like Grandma's dusting, hah, or maybe wiping down an already very clean machine for routine maintenance. When you actually go and try to bring a project machine (small project or big project) back to life it does nothing. It will clean off surface dirt but does nothing for ground-in dirt. I use it to get old wax off but that is it. Otherwise it seems useless.

#12 7 years ago

For wax, I use Mothers' Pure Carnauba. (Make sure it does NOT say "Cleaner" on it, wrong kind and WAY too abrasive!) I have used it on old EMs all the way up to a Star Trek, Tron, and Metallica for a customer and I (and him, on the new games) were both shocked with the absolutely FANTASTIC results on both. Shines like crazy!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

For wax, I use Mothers' Pure Carnauba.

ive used both this, and Blitz. cant go wrong with either, but prefer the Blitz. it just seems to yield a better finish. But someone PLEASE tell me, is that screw lid hard to get on and off or IS JUST ME !... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. : P

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Naphtha (lighter fluid) only "cleans" your playfield if it's a little dusty, I never understood the hype, it's only really supposed to remove old wax. Not clean. It does an awful job.
    I have delicate EMs and I was scared by Pinside telling me how abrasive Novus is so I used Naphtha and had quite a few dirty playfields for a while and tried to act like it was an improvement. I shopped an EM for a friend who put it on location at his arcade and he paid me to fix the machine, clean it, and wax it - I cleaned it with Napatha and warned him about the "awful" Novus and it looked okay and then the next time I came in he politely told me he went over it with Novus 2 - and it really looked amazing, with no harm done. Night and day difference. Since then I use Novus 2 on my own machines and they turn out great. And I scrub HARD. It's safe. Especially on those new machines above anything, ultra safe, they're all coated.
    I have determined that I guess the people who find results with Napatha are cleaning games that have been taken care of and probably deep cleaned already recently, perhaps before they bought it. Kind of like Grandma's dusting, hah, or maybe wiping down an already very clean machine for routine maintenance. When you actually go and try to bring a project machine (small project or big project) back to life it does nothing. It will clean off surface dirt but does nothing for ground-in dirt. I use it to get old wax off but that is it. Otherwise it seems useless.

OMG... Novus on an EM?!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

PLEASE tell me, is that screw lid hard to get on and off or IS JUST ME !... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. : P

Lol. Yeah my lid gets harder to open each time I use it. Some users just scoop it all into a glass jar with a screw lid.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Lol. Yeah my lid gets harder to open each time I use it. Some users just scoop it all into a glass jar with a screw lid.

You can stick it in the microwave for about 3 seconds to loosen it, but yeah the glass jar is way easier to deal with

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

OMG... Novus on an EM?!

Hell yeah, you bet. Does a damn good job, too!

Of course you should always test from game to game on an inconspicuous area, you never know when the company might have switched something up with the paint.

#18 7 years ago

Agree that naphtha is a very poor cleaner. Creates very dangerous fumes, too.

Try a bit of Mother's Mag Polish on your old fields....I think you will like the results.

Quoted from Otaku:

#19 7 years ago

A commercial grade Grease and Wax remover like PPG is far superior to Naptha. Its expensive and you have to go to the auto paint supplier to get it but its like night and day. Does the same work as Naptha but with very little fumes and no oily residue at all, just clean. I'll never use Naptha again.

#20 7 years ago

FrostyMug~
    I purchased a Breakshot. I love the idea of it being simple old school and open PF without too much distraction. I like seeing he ball move around, and I needed knock down targets. The capture in the middle is a cool feature too.

Otaku,
    Thanks for the insight. I'll see what works best. Maybe since the PF is already real clean, I'll start with Napatha first.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

Thank you. I just placed an order for some Blitz. This seems to be the choice for many pinheads.

Blitz is great stuff. I use the yellow round foam pads to apply and let it sit for a solid half hour. By then it'll be nice and hazy and then I buff it off by hand with a nice thick microfiber towel. Turn the towel enough as to not allow too much build up. I've done this on playfields as old as 74' to my JP and the results are amazing every time. I like to let that coat sit for four days (as noted on instructions) and apply a second coat.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Naptha for cleaning - non abrasive, cleans *everything*, safe for clearcoat and paint. Blitz for wax.

I wasn't too impressed with the cleaning properties of naptha and man does it smell BAD. I use a light amount of Mean Green on a microfiber towel and avoid bare wood areas if possible. Never had any grain raising or such issues. I would only do this once and only if the playfield is really dirty otherwise I go straight to Novus 2.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Hell yeah, you bet. Does a damn good job, too!
    Of course you should always test from game to game on an inconspicuous area, you never know when the company might have switched something up with the paint.

Holy crap! I'd be so scared to do that! Lol

#23 7 years ago

Naptha is best for getting wax and other gross residue off the PF - i should have specified you want to vacuum the hell out of the PF first, /9 there should be minimal 'cleaning' required. Naptha has no water in it and it's very gentle on paint and clearcoat, so it's the "safest" option in those respects (although not for your nose!) - I can't definitely say it's the "best", PPG sounds great but I would want to understand better if it had destructive chemical properties for the PF paint... but for me "no water" and "won't rip up paint" were the main criteria.

#24 7 years ago

7Warpig7 and Rdoyle1978~
    What is PPG? Thanks!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

7Warpig7 and Rdoyle1978~
    What is PPG? Thanks!

It's a paint brand:
    http://www.ppgpaints.com/

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from dkrubis:

7Warpig7 and Rdoyle1978~
    What is PPG? Thanks!

Yes, PPG is a brand. "DX330 Wax and Grease remover" is the actual name of the product I was recommending above. This is made for professional automotive painters.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

Yes, PPG is a brand. "DX330 Wax and Grease remover" is the actual name of the product I was recommending above. This is made for professional automotive painters.

+1

#28 7 years ago

So what's the verdict? If I have been using Milwax (I think it does a great job BTW), can I just clean and apply some Blitz wax without worrying about removing the silicone present in the Milwax? Thanks.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Holy crap! I'd be so scared to do that! Lol

I was a bit nervous too but during my Sky Jump "light" restoration. The playfield was very dirty and I had that Novus on a rag all over it. Scrubbed damn hard. Didn't lose any paint. YMMV. That game was from 1974, results may different with older (or newer! who knows) games.

There is a hard following behind magic eraser and alcohol and THAT is the one I cannot get behind. Too far, IMO. Testing that, I went right through a color of paint with that on a playfield because that particular color's coat from the factory was very very light.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/millwax-silicone-removal-waxing?hl=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.