Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220308_135413 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello I have a Bally Eight Ball deluxe limited edition and the other day I turned it on and out of nowhere all of the displays had the Millions comma flickering when a display was in use with zero points. At the same time I noticed the CONTROL lights a little dimmer than usual. I was wondering if I could get some help in which direction I should be looking. I'm not sure if the two problems are connected I just happened to notice them at the same time and I usually play the machine everyday they both happened the same day
20220308_135413 (resized).jpg20220308_135413 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

With the machine turned off, you can try re-seating all the connectors in the backbox.

#3 2 years ago

Electronmagic thanks. I did do that to a few connectors in the back box and all the displays. I will try again doing all of the connectors in the back box when i get home.

#4 2 years ago

I tried reseating every connector in the backbox. That didnt do anything

#5 2 years ago

I have all fairly new allteck boards except for the squalk and talk sound board.

#6 2 years ago

Are these original Bally 7-digit displays? The credit/match display should be a 6-digit. What if the score is under 100K, are the commas still lit?
The commas are driven passively by a simple logic circuit on the display board. There would have to be a short on the 7 digit enable wire to allow all the commas to light when there is no data. Look for a short or misswire.

#7 2 years ago

Hey @BigAl56, i just saw your response now. The flickering comma is happening all the time when it is not supposed to be on , whether the score is 00 or 100000.
It will say ,100,000 or , 00...i will look for a short and get back to you. And yes they are all original Bally displays. Thank you for your response

I figured out the dim lights are not related to the comma problem
I just replaced the bridge rectifier BR1. The cause of all my control lights dimming was in the backbox. It was my fault. I caused a short with the control lights bare wire powerline to the bracket the soundboard screws into. . I eventually smoked the br1. I trimmed back the bare wire so it wont reach any metal now.and replaced the br1. the lights are all bright now. Its just the commas. And this is hopefully the answer. Thanks again

#8 2 years ago

Also, BigAl56 , are you saying specifically the 7th enable wire, or any one of the 7 enable lines

#9 2 years ago

The commas light when there is data for the 4th and 7th digits. It's happening on all the displays even if no data is present. That should not happen.
Have to believe there is a short that puts noise out on the digit enables. I would start with one known good display If that has flickering commas even when at 0, I would first swap U10 and 11 on the MPU if original (disregard if Altec). Next I would pull all 7 digit enable lines from the connector. Then I would reseat them one at a time from 7 to 1 in that order. That would tell me if there is a short on the enable line.

Possible a lighting short took out the PIA chip or there is a short to one of the digit enable wires.

#10 2 years ago

Ok thank you BigAl56 i will try this as soon as i get a chance.

4 weeks later
#11 2 years ago

@BigAl56, sorry for the delay the past month has been hectic between havjng to put my dog to sleep and my wedding i have had no time to look at this problem. I recently replaced all the original connectors on the mpu with molex connectors, so it is not an issue with the connection there. I also had 2 pinscore LED 7 digit displays sitting around, and when i plugged one in that i knew worked perfectly, it had no comma problem.

So does this mean something on all 4 original display circuit boards got fried?

1 week later
#12 1 year ago

Sounds like something fried. Try replacing the diodes and drive transistor for the commas. Also, measure the 190v. perhaps it's too low and affecting the commas.

7 months later
#13 1 year ago

I have the exact problem on Eight Ball Deluxe (not LE). Was there any resolution? I will find it but was hopeful to get a heads up. I'll start a new post if no response.
Thank you all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/millions-comma-flickering-on-all-four-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.