• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

millionaire (resized).PNG
cyclone (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

I have a millionaire with display problems. The player 1, player 3 and credit/match displays are dark. The player 2 and player 4 displays work except for the 1st digit on each being completely out. To confirm that player 1 and 3 are not out gassed, I connected the display to another system 11 game to see if the player 1 and 3 light up and they do. I swapped data cables between games and there are no changes. I checked the obvious things. No open solder joints anywhere on MPU or Display board, no acid damage and no burned chips or connectors. Power supplies are displaying correct voltage.

Any suggestions on what to test next?

#2 5 years ago

Also, when I connected the display to another game (Cyclone), display 1 and 3 did show signs of life but player 2 and 4 were completely dark. I guess I only confirmed that the displays have not out gassed but that's about it.

#3 5 years ago

Hmm.. so by "dark" do you mean the displays don't light up at all? At first I took it as meaning "dim" but then rereading I think you're saying they appear "dead" and aren't displaying anything. Is there any orange glow at the bottom of the glass on the unlit displays?

Not sure if Millionaire (Sys 11A) and Cyclone (Sys 11B) are compatible with the display data. Someone else may know for sure, but that could explain why you're getting some different stuff happening there. At least in terms of the LED sets it's a different part number.. but that could be because of the lamp stuff built into the Millionaire display. Any model number / sticker on the display board for Millionaire?

If you had a logic probe you could probe PIAs for the display data signals being generated if you don't think there's an issue with the display based on what you saw when you swapped it. First want to make sure you've go the right display for the game though. Was it working previously?

#4 5 years ago

Yes, it's the correct display for the game. The display glasses are not out gassed. Trying to figure out if it's an issue with the displays not getting power or data or both. Also trying to figure out if the problem exists on the MPU or the display board itself.

#5 5 years ago

Your issue is on the display board. Do you have a logic probe?

#6 5 years ago

No, but I just ordered one. Admittedly the display board already has a bunch of socketed chips showing some of the 6118, 7180 and 4050s were replaced. The board work looks to have been done well. I guess what's throwing me off is that fact that display 1 and 3 are out and 2 and 4 mainly work (digit 1 is out on both displays 2 and 4). However, move the display to a different game and I have the opposite effect. Player 1 and 3 light up (not displaying anything legible because the display is in the wrong game) and 2 and 4 go out. I was expecting to see the same result (display 1 and 3 are out and 2 and 4 mainly work) on the display when moving to a different game if it were a problem on the display board since the circuitry is what it is.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

I was expecting to see the same result (display 1 and 3 are out and 2 and 4 mainly work) on the display when moving to a different game if it were a problem on the display board since the circuitry is what it is.

The boards are not the same in the manuals. Only real way to know what the problem is to test with a logic probe.

cyclone (resized).PNGcyclone (resized).PNGmillionaire (resized).PNGmillionaire (resized).PNG
#8 5 years ago

indeed they are different. I will be checking the ICs next.. Thanks

#9 5 years ago

Logic probe arrived today. U44 is bad.

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

In addition, I had to replace a number of 4050, 6116 and 4001 chips in the display board. Something must've zapped the circuitry. Display board is back up and running except for the credit/match display which is probably gassed out...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/millionaire-display-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.