DSC02330.JPG
DSC02329.JPG
DSC02326.JPG
DSC02328.JPG
DSC02327.JPG
DSC02323.JPG
DSC02325.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Picked up a cheap Judge Dredd (sight unseen) recently that was having issues with the DMD. Well, upon getting the game I discovered tons of mildew growing inside the backbox, the dmd appears to be the least of my concerns.

I have taken all the boards out of the backbox and begun the demildew process but was curious as to if the particular pcb can be salvaged. I noticed a lot of white around the upper right area, and this was still present after a good cleaning of the boards.

I assume it is corrosion or mildew? Is this worth saving, or should I just pick up a new board here soon. (Can't test as of now as my JD is in parts at the moment).

// Error: Image 266209 not found //

// Error: Image 266207 not found //// Error: Image 266206 not found //

DSC02323.JPGDSC02323.JPG// Error: Image 266389 not found //DSC02325.JPGDSC02325.JPGDSC02326.JPGDSC02326.JPGDSC02327.JPGDSC02327.JPGDSC02328.JPGDSC02328.JPGDSC02329.JPGDSC02329.JPGDSC02330.JPGDSC02330.JPG

DSC02332.JPGDSC02332.JPGDSC02333.JPGDSC02333.JPGDSC02334.JPGDSC02334.JPGDSC02335.JPGDSC02335.JPG

#2 9 years ago

As per some of the suggestions floating around the forums, here's what I've been doing with my boards:

Spray the board with simple green, let it sit for a few moments, and then attack the problem areas with a soft toothbrush (if any finish or traces start flaking off, then stop--this probably isn't an ideal approach for this board). Then, run the board under warm water to rinse it off. Rub on some 91% alcohol (this should displace some of the water). Then blow it off with an air compressor around 40psi (this is important so that the water and sediments don't settle under ICs and components), and finally when no more liquids can be blown off, let it air dry for an hour and inspect it to make sure no residue has been left behind. If there is still residue, repeat some of the cleaning as necessary. Otherwise, let the board fully dry for about a day.

Post edited by ForceFlow: clarifications

#3 9 years ago

You should really remove fuses, socketed chips and relays (if applicable). Scrubbing bubbles works better than simple green IMO.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clean-circuit-boards

#4 9 years ago

Per my discussion in PM with the OP, this is likely heat damage. It shows up more frequently on Sys11 and previous power supplies, and sometimes on dot matrix drivers, when cleaned with most chemicals and water. I've tried numerous chemicals, mixes, etc and I have not found a way to clean a board using water that doesn't do this, if the board has significant heat damage.

When you look at where it's located (around the GI triac heatsinks, under the LM323), it's at the hottest parts of the board, and a few spots where someone has soldered on the board.

The only way I've had decent luck 'removing' it is with acetone. Smelly, flammable, and not really a lot of fun. But does a pretty good job. Do this outdoors!

I wash PCBs similar to how is described here. On boards after Sys11, I've had good luck leaving relays installed. I don't know if they started sealing relays better at some point or what. On Sys11 and older boards, I desolder and remove relays before cleaning boards.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

On boards after Sys11, I've had good luck leaving relays installed. I don't know if they started sealing relays better at some point or what. On Sys11 and older boards, I desolder and remove relays before cleaning boards.

I usually remove the relays and throw the boards in the dishwasher.

I have seen guides on the net that show just sealing the relay with a length of scotch tape where the clear hood meets the base, and then dishwashing them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mildew-and-pcbs-can-this-be-salvaged and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.