(Topic ID: 212402)

Mike/Rob split - The future of Pinball Expo?

By jfh

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rody
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rody.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 6 years ago

Marvin,

Though Mike lacks punctuation and syntax, I see no fault in his logic regarding Rob Anthony's participation.

As a promoter in a different field for the last 13 years, I feel I have a very strong grasp on vendor relations and the financial dynamic involved with a professional level show.

When a service oriented vendor participates in a show, they create value for the attendees and the event. When that vendor begins to charge for the services, the value to the show promoter and subsequently, the attendees, is reduced. This vendor should be paying for space. However, that vendors rate for participation is still lower than those simply merchandising goods, as the value to the attendees/community is maintained.

When that vendor begins selling merchandise, the service offered, which originally brought value to the show, is now re-directed toward personal marketability and financial gain. In this case, the vendor should be paying the same rate for participation as all others.

Given this, the request for free space, hotel room, and preferential treatment is unreasonable... as a promoter, this level of inequity cannot exist or you will alienate loyal, fully paid participants.

I don't know either Mike or Rob Anthony well, am not privy to their conversations, or interested in airing their business here, but in my opinion, the requested relationship, as proposed in the above dialogue, is not sustainable in a professional show environment.

Mike's decision is not twisted, it's just transparent, equitable decision making for a sustainable business model.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rody.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mikerob-split-the-future-of-pinball-expo?tu=Rody and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.