(Topic ID: 159037)

Mike Chestnut... From his family.

By sc93cobra

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_6305_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6303_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6304_(resized).jpg
    IMG_6311_(resized).jpg
    IMG_6306_(resized).jpg
    IMG_6310_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6312_(resized).jpg
    IMG_6313_(resized).jpg
    IMG_6314_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6315_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6316_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_6216_(resized).JPG

There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 7 years ago

Hey everyone,

It is with a heavy heart that I share that we lost Mike Chestnut yesterday in a motorcycle accident.
    On behalf of the family I wanted to let you know this and they have asked that we please help others in the community to know not to place any other orders for things and if you have an outstanding order we will do our best to find that.

ORDERS:
    if you do have an outstanding order that has been paid for, please email me what that is and we will be looking for it and the paper trails that go to it. Mike did a pretty good job of writing things down but we will have to figure all of that out. I would not expect this to happen quickly. It will take a great deal of time to get all of this sorted out.
    My email: [email protected]

The family appreciates all your thoughts and prayers during this time. I will post any arrangements as they decide what to do.

Mike had such a great impact on many of us and this hobby, he will be greatly missed by so many of us. I know I am still just in shock.

#2 7 years ago

Not the first time Mike was involved in a crippling motorcycle incident. Man, I hate those things. Stay safe on the roads people and I wish prayers, good luck, and fast recovery for his surviving family.

#3 7 years ago

So sorry

#4 7 years ago

Very sad. There are some really great people in this hobby, and Mike was at the top of the list. Mike has left a legacy of great work, and many great games in better condition because of his efforts. He will be missed deeply.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#5 7 years ago

Wow,

So sad to hear, our prayers are with you.

#6 7 years ago

Oh man. This is awful to read.

Condolences to his family.

Chris

#7 7 years ago

Very sad and he will be missed for sure... he literally was a great part of the pinball community and will always be a part of many pinball machine collections around the world.

RIP

#8 7 years ago

Mike was a class act. So sad to hear

#9 7 years ago

Condolences - he was a great guy.

#10 7 years ago

Very very sad, condolences to his friends & family.

#11 7 years ago

#12 7 years ago

Very sad news for his family and the pinball community.

#13 7 years ago

Damn. One of the awesome guys. Very sad.

#14 7 years ago

As a fellow motorcycle rider and someone whose machines are in better condition because of him, this is truly awful to hear. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. He will be greatly missed.

#15 7 years ago

As a rider and pinball enthusiast myself I would like to offer my condolences to his friends and family.

#16 7 years ago

Yep
    Sorry to hear that.

#17 7 years ago

Godspeed Mike Chestnut

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from u2sean:

As a fellow motorcycle rider and someone whose machines are in better condition because of him, this is truly awful to hear. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. He will be greatly missed.

I couldn't have said it better, RIP Mike

#19 7 years ago

So sorry to hear this. Mike did beautiful work for so many of us in the pinball community. He will be missed.

#20 7 years ago

I was a customer and loved his work. This is tragic to hear. Prayers for him and his family!

#21 7 years ago

OMG!!! Can't believe it. Rest in peace Mike. So sad. My condolences to his family.

Todd

#22 7 years ago

So sorry all my best to the family.

#23 7 years ago

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

#24 7 years ago

I think at some point we ought to get together to celebrate Mike's life...drink some beer, play some pinball, and swap stories about Mike. He was one of my favorite people to hang out with.

#25 7 years ago

So sorry to hear this, he was actively working on some parts for me, he has always been very pleasant to deal with, my condolences and prayers to his family.

#26 7 years ago

My thoughts are with you all!

#27 7 years ago

I am absolutely STUNNED! I have spent many an hour with Mike in his home and in his shop. It just doesn't seem possible. The last time we were together we discussed motorcycle accidents. I pulled out of the driveway that night wondering how he still had the moxie to continue to ride after the accidents. I can still hear his voice in my head . . .

What a sad day . . .

#28 7 years ago

So sorry for your loss.

#29 7 years ago

So sad to hear this....

I just sent Mike some habitrails to have brass plated. They arrived Monday.

Prayers going out to the family.

#30 7 years ago

Did not know him, only heard about him and seen his work in this hobby. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. RIP

#31 7 years ago

I have no words. Mike was a one of the coolest folks, and I considered him a friend. He will very much be sadly missed.

#32 7 years ago

Mike was an amazing asset to the hobby. Good wishes to all his family and friends. He will be missed by many, many people.

#33 7 years ago

Very sad news. I will think of Mike every time I pull the trigger on my Shadow.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I think at some point we ought to get together to celebrate Mike's life...drink some beer, play some pinball, and swap stories about Mike. He was one of my favorite people to hang out with.

This would be very cool. We must make this happen.

#35 7 years ago

I know it is a cleche, but only the good die young. Mike was such a good person, I was just getting to know him. fuck

#36 7 years ago

Very sad day

#37 7 years ago

I spoke to him a couple times about doing some work for a few of my machines. Super friendly guy. Will raise a glass to him at PAGG next week.

#38 7 years ago

I was lucky enough to live very close to Mike. He was always helping someone with something motorcycle or pinball related. He was a unique guy but also a great guy. He put his word above money and only did things one way, and that was the best that he could do them. He would send people plated parts and tell them to make sure they are happy with them and then send payment. No one operates like that anymore. No one else really road like Mike either, he was the only person I have ever talked to that thought 160mph was a cruising speed.

One night at my house he was telling my wife some of his riding stories (he has hundreds of them) and she told Mike to be careful and slow down or you will get yourself killed. Mike replied back "I'll die on my bike giving it hell one day, that's alright though because it's what I love".

I'm sick over this, but at the same time I can't help but smile knowing that Mike wouldn't have wanted to go out doing anything else. Getting old and unable to do things his way was never in the cards for Mike. Rest in peace Mike.

#39 7 years ago

Wow, so sad to here these news, I am looking at his work right now, and was always amazed at the work he did, he was always a classy guy in all his emails we exchanged over the past 10 years, I am very sorry for your loss..

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I was lucky enough to live very close to Mike. He was always helping someone with something motorcycle or pinball related. He was a unique guy but also a great guy. He put his word above money and only did things one way, and that was the best that he could do them. He would send people plated parts and tell them to make sure they are happy with them and then send payment. No one operates like that anymore. No one else really road like Mike either, he was the only person I have ever talked to that thought 160mph was a cruising speed.
    One night at my house he was telling my wife some of his riding stories (he has hundreds of them) and she told Mike to be careful and slow down or you will get yourself killed. Mike replied back "I'll die on my bike giving it hell one day, that's alright though because it's what I love".
    I'm sick over this, but at the same time I can't help but smile knowing that Mike wouldn't have wanted to go out doing anything else. Getting old and unable to do things his way was never in the cards for Mike. Rest in peace Mike.

Being a fellow motorcyclist, it truly breaks my heart to here of this accident.

At least Mike died doing what he loves...riding a motorcycle.

I had never done business w/ him prior to the work I had just sent him. I know he will be missed in the pinball community.

#41 7 years ago

I got to meet Mike at expo back in 2012. What a super guy! This is horrible news

#42 7 years ago

This is a huge loss to the community. I actually had a package ready to send Mike this week. I am so sorry to hear this. Mike was always willing to help people out, take time to talk and give tips both on the phone and in person. The family should know that Mike helped a lot of people and was generous with his time. He will be missed.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I feel the same way. I am sad, but at the same time he was doing what he loved. I dropped some stuff off to be worked on last fall and I had to help him get his bike off his trailer (With his bad leg he had trouble moving heavy stuff). While I was helping him he was telling me stories about going 200 mph on this particular bike. I told him that was insane and to be careful. He said I will probably die on this thing and he was perfectly fine with that, so if he went out happy then good for him. He was a great guy! I could call or email anytime and he would walk me through issues I was having. The pinball world lost a great one for sure.

#44 7 years ago

I just got my habitrails from him last week. I'm shocked what a nice guy to work with. My condolences to his family.

#45 7 years ago

RIP Mike.

#46 7 years ago

Being a fellow motorcyclist, I will hoist a few to him tonight with a couple cigars!

#47 7 years ago

Terrible news.. lost a great guy and the hobby lost a pioneer.

#48 7 years ago

I met Mike in 2005 when I sold an MM to him. It was pouring down rain and I offered for him to stay but he just wrapped that game like I've never seen anything wrapped and headed out. I went to his house later that year and that's when I realized what a nice collection could look like...it was like being in a museum. Every game was pretty much perfection. He was also a really good player. He took a lot of pride in everything he did and was always helping someone with something.

Every time I went over his place I always stayed an hour or two longer than I had planned and wouldn't have had it any other way. Most people know him as the chrome guy, but you could probably count on one hand the people in the hobby that could restore games as well as him. He had a crazy eye for detail and was an absolute perfectionist. He also had great feel for tuning in a game just right. He didn't do restores a whole lot though...he only liked to work on big projects during the winter and would ride the rest of the year. I loved his stories about riding. He had some CRAZY ones. I was in the car with him recently for 18 hours and he pretty much told stories the whole time and the trip flew by.

He wouldn't have wanted to die any other way. I heard him talk about it several times. He knew all the risks, but to him riding WAS living. When you got him talking about riding he would light up and get real animated and lean and make sounds as he described what it was like.

He finished this MM for me several months ago. I never planned on selling it and will absolutely not sell it now. He liked to drop games off in person. He said it was because he didn't want anyone messing up his work. That was part of it, but I think he also wanted to soak in the enjoyment and reaction of the person he was doing the work for. If you paid him by the hour, you'd be broke. He poured himself into these and it was really important that he knew you loved it too. He asked me a couple of times what Sarah thought about it (my wife) because she wasn't home when he dropped it off. I told him she said she didn't even recognize it, it looked like and played better than a new game. It cracked me up that he had the inspected by Mike sticker right below the restored by Mike. He was one of a kind.

God Speed Mike.

IMG_7748_(resized).JPGIMG_7748_(resized).JPG

IMG_7750_(resized).JPGIMG_7750_(resized).JPG

IMG_7751_(resized).JPGIMG_7751_(resized).JPG

#49 7 years ago

My thoughts and prayers go to Chestnut's family....
    p

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

He would send people plated parts and tell them to make sure they are happy with them and then send payment

Just came home to see this in the mail. WCS_095_(resized).jpgWCS_095_(resized).jpgThanks Mike, I'll put them to good use.

There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mike-chestnut-from-his-family-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.