(Topic ID: 47681)

Midwesterners - I hope everyone's homes are staying dry during this storm.

By D_Graunch

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0419131447.jpg
    IMG_0283.JPG
    BIIYrE6CIAAatY2[1].jpeg
    IMG_00000028.jpg
    IMG_00000026.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    flood_basement.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I had to move my Allied Leisures out of my cocktail table room above my garage because the roof started leaking. Yes, I asked myself what the heck it was exactly I was saving when I was throwing my back out to get them onto my enclosed patio, but I love these little buggers!

Anyhow, I hope everything is alright out there in Pinball Land USA!

#2 11 years ago

I had a close call myself. Basement has had a small leak in the foundation. Been waiting for a dry spell this spring to have someone fill the crack with epoxy, but it's been pretty steady rain (and now the last 2 days has been REALLY raining). Had to empty the wet vac 8 times in the last 12 hours, finally took it into my own hands and patched the crack with some quick dry cement, seems to be holding.

This is how close the water got to the first pin:

flood_basement.jpgflood_basement.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Basement flooded again...2nd time this year. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I had a close call myself. Basement has had a small leak in the foundation. Been waiting for a dry spell this spring to have someone fill the crack with epoxy, but it's been pretty steady rain (and now the last 2 days has been REALLY raining). Had to empty the wet vac 8 times in the last 12 hours, finally took it into my own hands and patched the crack with some quick dry cement, seems to be holding.

Yikes. Your basement looks newer too. Looks like drop in walls, poured floor cut where it's supposed to. I'm kind of suprised it's leaking. Got a sump pump?

#5 11 years ago

So far so good! Installed a back up pump last night just in case. Main pump is running every 30 seconds right now. Only a matter of time before it craps out. Basement is quite dry though so the tile/pump are doing their job. John

#6 11 years ago

After a couple of years of several times a year basement flooding in our house that the seller said never flooded, we waterproofed it and got a sump pump. Been bone dry ever since. Best money ever spent on this house.

#7 11 years ago

We had never even had water in our crock before this week. Stupid of us to not have a sump pump before this, but we're getting one in tonight.

We live about 2 blocks from a lake which is notorious for flooding. We're safe, up a very steep grade hill. We took a drive down there last night, the street that runs alongside the lake is underwater completely, many of the houses close to the shore have been hit hard. It was actually much worse in the spring of 08, I just hope it doesn't get to that level again.

#8 11 years ago

My backyard is a small lake but my basement is dry. Hoping for this last bit of storms to be tame.

Good luck to all.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Dehumidifier!

Quoted from bdaily1983:

Basement flooded again...2nd time this year

Wow that sucks!

Lots of rain here for two days straight, additional rain before that. Talked to a neighbor who moved in last year. Previous owner told them the basement was always dry, and they have water in the basement now. Could have told them that was a lie. Feel bad for the guy since they have done a bunch of work that's now ruined.
    So far good at my house (knock on wood).

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Yikes. Your basement looks newer too. Looks like drop in walls, poured floor cut where it's supposed to. I'm kind of suprised it's leaking. Got a sump pump?

Have two sump pumps (one for the water heater pit, one that shoots the water around the foundation out the backyard). Replaced both pumps about 3 years ago, still running strong. House is built in 94, but the foundation seems to have had a crack in one corner since we moved in 2001. The previous owners blocked the view of this crack with a built-in shelving unit, and patched it with silicone. Well between the rabbits digging holes outside, and this crack having water seep through it all these years, it's gotten worse.

#11 11 years ago

Snow here. I posted on Facebook as much as I need business. If traveling gets bad, stay safe. I care more about my customers.

Though I'll be open during the storm, the pinballs will always be there to be enjoyed another day.

LTG : )

#12 11 years ago

On the bright side, I now own an island.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 11 years ago

I feel fortunate. My house was built in 32 and has no sump or crock even, but so far so good.

If all this rain had come 2-3 weeks ago when the ground was still frozen, I would be in toruble I think.

Stay safe and stay dry!

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from bdaily1983:

On the bright side, I now own an island.

Sorry to hear. Your property taxes are going up.

#15 11 years ago

My Chicago friends are ready to build an ark I think!

If anyone is worried about their machines feel free to ship them to me, I'll take good care of them for you, won't rack up too many games and wear on the playfield, and then you can have them back when you dry out.

#16 11 years ago

bdaily1983 - that's some crazy water! I like the power cord in the third one - hope nothing is actually plugged into it!

We had our basement flooded about 8 years ago, literally 2 days after I completed the remodel and just had the carpet installed. Well, that all had to be pulled up and thrown out. I then had to have most of the basement floor punched up so I could have drain tile run around the entire perimeter, larger rock throughout the center to flow water to the outside edges, as well as a sump pit. No problems since then, and it definitely gets a workout during the rainy seasons.

#17 11 years ago

All dry at my house thank god, but half the office didn't show up today. I took off early to work the rest of the day from home and check on the games. Screw the basement carpet and walls...save the games!!!!

Interesting train ride home though. Some areas dry, others a lake. Crappy photos below out a tinted train window, but you get the point...

The train tracks...
    IMG_00000026.jpgIMG_00000026.jpg

At a train station. Going to be a bad night when the guy gets back to his car in the background there. Hope no one was parked at the corner of these streets!!!!

IMG_00000028.jpgIMG_00000028.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Woah. Those pictures are wild! I saw pics of the highways out there. Totally bonkers.

Sorry to hear the bad news, guys. It seems like a few of ya were prepared to battle. I just really hope no one was unexpectedly bombarded with water.

bdaily currently owns an island & toyotaboy has LW3 beach! Stay safe, guys. I hope this was the worst of it.

#19 11 years ago

I'd post a picture of what so cal looks like right now, but I just can't do that to you guys.

#21 11 years ago

Looking out my front door, in April.

IMG_0283.JPGIMG_0283.JPG

#23 11 years ago

All dry in my house. But now I own about 4 lakes.

#24 11 years ago

After my basement flooded twice in one year, I installed two sump pumps, a foundation drainage system, and a one way valve on the sewage drain main. Bone dry but sumps are tag teaming a bit. Been crazy here in Iowa. Snow, hail ,flooding, and mud slides. Does anyone have an earthquake??

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

and a one way valve on the sewage drain main

This is a very important item if you live anywhere that the municipal sewer system may have capacity issues. Absolutely needed if you live upstream of a municipal sewer pump station with no permanent backup generator. Great idea and can save you from an absolutely horrible experience. It's suprising this is not more commonly used.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

This is a very important item if you live anywhere that the municipal sewer system may have capacity issues. Absolutely needed if you live upstream of a municipal sewer pump station with no permanent backup generator. Great idea and can save you from an absolutely horrible experience. It's suprising this is not more commonly used.

The second time the basement flooded, the toilet looked like "Old Faithful". I wish I had a picture of it...

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

The second time the basement flooded, the toilet looked like "Old Faithful". I wish I had a picture of it...

That would be something to see but I bet Old Faithful smells worse.
    Alex

#28 11 years ago

I'd post a picture of what so cal looks like right now, but I just can't do that to you guys.

I know what you mean

0419131447.jpg0419131447.jpg

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

I know what you mean

Had to give you a thumbs down, because you know exactly what you're doing!

Seriously, not only as a golfer, but as a human, I'm tired of this weather. Around here we have a fifth season, it's called "gray". It sucks. This may be my least favorite time of the year. Any of the snow that's left is black, everything's muddy.. Times like this I wouldn't mind living in other parts of the state (namely Hawaii).

I just have to remind myself of all the great sports we have, and how nice the summers can be.

Sorry to those with flooding issues.

#30 11 years ago

ok...nevermind

#31 11 years ago

Very glad that even though it rains a ton here it does not flood like this. I still have a sump pump wired in and placed under my house. (no basement) A couple times a year it helps.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwesterners-i-hope-everyones-homes-are-staying-dry-during-this-storm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.