(Topic ID: 142354)

MidWest Gaming 'RARE' CHALLENGE!

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_56981.jpg
    MD_2020.jpg
    image.jpg
    PB081879.jpg
    image.jpeg
    whack-a-doodle_doo.jpg
    udderly_tickets.jpg
    Entex-BlackKnightPinballBox.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Goonie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 8 years ago

This is an awesome idea Hilton! I love it. What a great way to get people energized, have some fun, and get some rare games to MGC. Nice work! Kudos also to Vidgameseller for bringing such a great game.

As some others have stated, I really would consider setting some type of rule set to the definition of "rare", if anything just to make the category more real and genuine toward what you're tying to accomplish. I have a Hook with a NOS clearcoated playfield. I'm pretty sure i'm the only one, or at least among the very few, to have spent the money on that game. It's a rare game then (?) , but not what I would say is in the spirit of what your attempting. Right? I think you should exclude games like that, as there are existing award categories that those could fit into if people really wanted it to win. I would highlight the games like Goin Nuts that are truly rare. My opinion though...

I suppose just letting people drop quarters as they see fit is fine, but after years of tallying votes for the Best in Show awards, I can honestly say there may be a few logistical issues with that - not to mention the EM issue that was brought up. You're likely to see a ton of quarters dropped into non-rare games... or the Pac-Man upright in the corner. That might be fine, this being all in good fun, but you'll have a lot of 1 vote games and the like. You may find it difficult to track everyone down and count those votes right at the start of the party when everyone is racing toward food and drink. Regardless, I love the coin idea should you be able to iron all that out.

What do you think about combining this with the existing Best In Show awards in some way...perhaps just as an appendix, perhaps as a complete redesign of the whole process...but all in an attempt to assure folks can easily distinguish between all the categories we have today, and the ones you're creating?

We should connect on this. You've got a good idea here and I think we can incorporate this into the show and the existing award process to step it up a bit. Worth discussing at least??

Aaron

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

...It's currently in MGC storage, which is a giant disaster. We need to do a cleaning day BADLY.

Wait, what? Didn't we just do a clean up of that place last year? What did you do!?!

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Is this the "Midwest Gaming Classic" or the "Midwest Pinball Classic"? Why are video games specifically excluded?

Quoted from goatdan:

Okay, I think I'm going to do a rare not pinball or video game prize too for something wacky like those above.

Excellent point Joe, and thanks for raising it. As Dan eludes to, no reason we can't do both. It is a "gaming" show afterall and I think we should continue to build it that way. All things to consider.

#103 8 years ago

How many vectors do you have? That would be cool!

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

25. If you count the multi vector I'm building as well, then 26. Of those, 8 are not working at the moment.

Nice. If you are serious about it, shoot Dan or I a PM and we'll see what we can do. As Hilton says, you never know. It would be really neat to see that all set up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Goonie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwest-gaming-rare-challenge?tu=Goonie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.