(Topic ID: 142354)

MidWest Gaming 'RARE' CHALLENGE!

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_56981.jpg
    MD_2020.jpg
    image.jpg
    PB081879.jpg
    image.jpeg
    whack-a-doodle_doo.jpg
    udderly_tickets.jpg
    Entex-BlackKnightPinballBox.jpg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 8 years ago

Awesome idea.

I'll be taking pharaoh again along with my cc'd sorcerer. Neither are rare though. Maybe if I buck up some courage I'll take black hole.

Silly question, dont Williams games set to free play not allow the coin to actually drop?

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

Sweet.
    Jason, bring your vector collection. I'm sure someone will help move them.

You know, I WAS planning on only bringing pins this year; as they're easier to move. I have thought about bringing all my working vectors. They'd be cool to stick in one room and do some signs / history type thing with them. But then again, I'm paranoid about running them that long. And I know a dedicated room would never happen, lol. I might bring one or two vectors, still getting the list tied down on what to bring.

#103 8 years ago

How many vectors do you have? That would be cool!

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

You know, I WAS planning on only bringing pins this year; as they're easier to move. I have thought about bringing all my working vectors. They'd be cool to stick in one room and do some signs / history type thing with them. But then again, I'm paranoid about running them that long. And I know a dedicated room would never happen, lol. I might bring one or two vectors, still getting the list tied down on what to bring.

talk to dan about the dedicated room! You never know what can happen...

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Silly question, dont Williams games set to free play not allow the coin to actually drop?

coins dropping in is mechanical. Free play setting is software.

Worth nothing that anyone wanting to participate in this event should make sure the game will take a quarter drop.

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

How many vectors do you have? That would be cool!

25. If you count the multi vector I'm building as well, then 26. Of those, 8 are not working at the moment.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Could really go nuts and have a batch of 'quarter ish' sized MGC tokens made to use.

would be great but I am already going to be ponying up a bit in some prizes.

If anyone else wants to get involved or knows of a place we could get a quarter sized MGC token made (that woudl also go though a coin slot easily/without getting rejected) for a good price then PM me please.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Worth nothing that anyone wanting to participate in this event should make sure the game will take a quarter drop.

For some reason I thought the coil enable on the mechs was tied to that setting.

#109 8 years ago

Why does the coin slot need to work? Couldn't you just remove the coin mech and let the coins fall in? You're going to need to do a physical count on each machine anyway.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Why does the coin slot need to work? Couldn't you just remove the coin mech and let the coins fall in? You're going to need to do a physical count on each machine anyway.

That works.

#111 8 years ago

why not just give the coin to the person that brings the game. Then have a set time frame that they can come over to Hilto who is usually at his computer by the tournament area and turn in the coin and verbally tell him your vote. He can then keep a tally and be done. Would be alot easier than finding the owners of the games and having them open it up to look in the coin box. I think that it would save a lot of time.

If Hilton doesnt want to be bothered, I could also bring some of my business cards, give one to each person that brings a qualigying game and have them just write the game name and registration number (incase there are two of the same game) and have a jar that the cards are put in to be tallied

#112 8 years ago

I am gonna stick with the coin drop idea for this year. I like the physical act of putting coins into machines. I also think it will be really fun and exciting to have people open up their games and see what they have accumulated on Sat by the start of the afterparty.

I am open to all the suggestions and also appreciate them coming in, but somethings I have a reason for and am gonna stick to for this year.

Every person that brings a pinball machine will get a card with instructions on how to 'use' the 2 colored quarters. 1 card/ 2 quarters per person and a request to not put them in any of their own games. Their will be some general guidelines concerning the 'rare' but it will be left to the discretion of each game bringger on where to spend their coins. Card will also instruct each game owner to count all their coins in their game and come to me at the start of the after party to claim any prizes for each category. Straight forward and just something simple to make things more fun. I am putting some solid effort into some prizes and also reaching out to a few key people to see if I can get some specifc/cool pinball things.

Tweaks will come in future years and I have a feeling that after the first year people will see some prizes and have even more fun with it in future years.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

25. If you count the multi vector I'm building as well, then 26. Of those, 8 are not working at the moment.

Nice. If you are serious about it, shoot Dan or I a PM and we'll see what we can do. As Hilton says, you never know. It would be really neat to see that all set up.

#114 8 years ago

I'm in bringing this bad boy if I can get displays fixed in time.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#115 8 years ago

what is that?!

#116 8 years ago

I might bring a Blackwater which will then be for sale to Hilton.

#117 8 years ago

Eros1 great coctail , nice!

#118 8 years ago

FYI, you can't get tokens made in the exact size of a quarter, because you could then defeat the coin mechs of like soda machines and stuff with them. The easiest way to do it is to pull coin mechs, as quarter mechs wouldn't take tokens and vice-versa, and unless you're personally testing your machines for what they do take, it's hard to know what your machine took in a previous life.

You also have to make tokens in a very large quantity to make it worthwhile.

We have thought about making show tokens as a souvenir in the past, but figured it would just lead to confusion.

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Williams games (and other manufacturers) up until about System 11 used a coin lockout coil to disable coins from being accepted. So theoretically the free play setting could disable coins from being put into the game. They got rid of the coin lockout with WPC games.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#120 8 years ago

I have several games with extremely low production runs.

Miss World (1 of 5)
    Locomotion (3 known to exist in the US)
    Spooky (3 known to be in the US as well)
    Torpedo Ally (200 stayed in the US during inital shipping. many have been parted out over the years. Unknown how many still reside)
    Orbitor 1 (production run of 800)

and I have a bunch of others with production runs under 1200. I will be bringing something the MGC. I always do. Just unsure of which one or ones to bring.

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Williams games (and other manufacturers) up until about System 11 used a coin lockout coil to disable coins from being accepted. So theoretically the free play setting could disable coins from being put into the game. They got rid of the coin lockout with WPC games.
    --

doh. Never realized that (probably most of my games have it cut so old school ops would get the coin no matter what?).

That may make things more difficult. I will che on this for a bit.

For now, anyone bringing a rare game please make sure it accepts quarters even when in free play.

#122 8 years ago

Thunder Man!!

#123 8 years ago

Its actually Flame of Athens, exact same layout as Eros One with slight art modification (very slight, in the plastics I believe) and produced by Allied Leisure. Seems a bit more rare as Eros One has over 20 owners on pinside and Flame of Athens I believe I am only 1 of 2 listed. I can't find any data on production numbers at all.

#124 8 years ago

Are you bringing both of these?

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Its actually Flame of Athens

gonna be sweet when we have a few cocktails all together!

#126 8 years ago

That wiliams problem is a two second fix just put something to keep lock out from releasing Piece of anything ..card board.. Any metal coin mech can be converted in like one minute to token DID thousands of them over years .Besides if set on free play if tokens only used to count if no meck is used is almost all cases the token will go into box I like this whole idea Might steal it for PINBALL EXPO next year HILTON IN CHARGE LOL

#127 8 years ago

Zacceria JACK RABBIT?? in stock Stern great guns?? WAR cocktail pin I AM WINNING he he MIKE PACAK How about Funhouse proto??

#128 8 years ago

Awesome Mike! Very excited that you are on board and coming to MGC. I look forward to playing some of your rare titles and getting to hang with you in a non-expo setting when you can hang and be a pinball dude rather than occupied with show running!

Better start shopping now! I am guessing some of those titles are a PITA to shop out! This si going to be a blast!

#129 8 years ago

What is the load in load out for games look like at MGC. I have never been but will be attending this year.

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

What is the load in load out for games look like at MGC. I have never been but will be attending this year.

Wander in, find one of us, we will make your life as easy as possible.

If we are getting slammed with people coming in all at once it may take a couple minutes, but we will happily lend you a dolly, lifter, and some muscle as quickly as we can.

#131 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Miss World (1 of 5)
    Torpedo Ally (200 stayed in the US during inital shipping. many have been parted out over the years. Unknown how many still reside)
    and I have a bunch of others with production runs under 1200. I will be bringing something the MGC. I always do. Just unsure of which one or ones to bring.

Locomotion and Spooky? Can you bring both of them?

#132 8 years ago

Load in/out is pretty darn easy as far as shows go. There are plenty of friendly people with dollys that will gladly help your pins in the hall.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Last year I actually had a hard time unloading. I had somewhere around 24 games, and everytime i got back to my trailer to grab another game, I had to wait for several minutes because of the line of helpers that were helping me unload. Seriously!!! When I opened the door to my trailer, There was at least 4 people there with dolly's to help me unload. They basically had me stay in the game hall to show them where to put the games as that was easier than me making trips to the trailer

MGC is the best show as for getting games set up

Troy

#134 8 years ago

Good to hear that there are so many people to help. What are the windows that you can bring a game and take a game from the show?

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

WAR cocktail pin

I've got one of those two. At least for now. Could use a plastic set... My internals seem to be completely different than any other one of those though. Weird game. Can't pretend I like it, but it makes a nice table.

If you have a spare Pistol Poker cabinet, I'd like to talk with you too

#136 8 years ago

Those WARs just don't seem that rare to me after seeing 3 of them stacked up in Jay's garage , and seeing him put forth no efort to get at least one of them working . I would like to see a working one and get a chance to play it though . The artwork looks pretty cool , so it's got that going for it .

#137 8 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Those WARs just don't seem that rare to me after seeing 3 of them stacked up in Jay's garage , and seeing him put forth no efort to get at least one of them working . I would like to see a working one and get a chance to play it though . The artwork looks pretty cool , so it's got that going for it .

I think Charlie grabbed one of those got it working and is now a coffee table if I'm not mistaken.

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

I think Charlie grabbed one of those got it working and is now a coffee table if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I don't think jay has any of them anymore ..

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yeah I don't think jay has any of them anymore ..

I should have bought one........oh well

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Miss World (1 of 5)

Nice ! You got a spooky! That's were i'd put my painted quarter if it were there . Locomotion is cool also .

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Nice ! You got a spooky! That's were i'd put my painted quarter if it were there . Locomotion is cool also .

It will be here soon. Took me 4 to 5 years to finally track one down. Very excited.

#142 8 years ago

I almost forgot to book my hotel room, they are filling up quickly. So get your rooms now...........

Dan, better make sure they set some aside for you this year

#143 8 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

They actually ARE rare, and I'm still kinda kicking myself for not grabbing one from Jay just for the stupid plastics.

The gameplay is sort of cool if you treat it like a pinball version of foosball, but foosball has more going on for it. The scoring though is absolutely stupid. At least one mine (with the completely different internals than any other one I've seen, so it may be ONLY mine that scores like this, but I don't think so), if you shoot it through the middle it's the same amount of points as if you get it past the other guy's flippers. I figured out on mine how to hit the middle shot but not make it go through over and over, and then you just drain on yourself and you win. DUMB.

If you JUST count how many times you get it past the other person, it's novelty fun. I've been debating selling mine for years, but whenever I do, I stack crap on it and go "Hell, it's a nice table." Just did that last night...

Quoted from Jetzxi:

Dan, better make sure they set some aside for you this year

Good reminder! I need to do a Facebook post about this soon, earlier this week the hotel confirmed they are more than 50% sold out for the weekend already.

Our block IS fixed this year too, thanks for the reminder We figured out what broke about their system last year, where the 35 rooms we hold for the show were sold out from under us, which meant for a while even I didn't have a room!

Tom's and Friday Night VIG are also selling quickly. At the current rates, we'll sell out of both by the end of next month.

#144 8 years ago

Looks like I may haft to do some digging for something rare!
    Last year I bought my HUO Sinistar Vid , probably bring it back for others to enjoy again this year.

Great idea Hilton for the show, but I do think one for rare vids would be cool as well, AND NOT one of theses thrown together computer generated games. Nothing against those at all but lets be original(tube, no flat screen)
    I have a HUO Robotron with all matching board numbers that may be there as well.

Maybe even someone could do the Classic em arcade games (shooters, torpedo games etc.) It would be cool to see some of those.

Have great Holidays fellas see you guys in the spring @ MGC.

Pincades
    JT

#145 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

but I do think one for rare vids would be cool as well

I encourage the vid guys to do something up similar to this rare challenge for pinball.

Here is one of the prizes I recently picked up for the pinball rare challenge. Hard to find Burbon from Buffalo Trace that sells out instantly when you can find it. I suggest drinking it neat at room temp and let it breathe for a bit. It give you a nice long hug.
    PB081879.JPGPB081879.JPG

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

... It give you a nice long hug.
    PB081879.JPG

I'll happily give the winner of this a nice long hug for a couple fingers of this. May even be talked into a wet kiss.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#147 8 years ago

If someone is looking for a rare game to bring I have this one up for trade.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-for-trade-rotation-viii

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I'll happily give the winner of this a nice long hug for a couple fingers of this. com

I got you covered brother. My bourbon hunting has gone well this season.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#149 8 years ago

those are going to spill upside down!!! LOL

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

those are going to spill upside down!!! LOL

you jut have to drink quick when you open one...

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwest-gaming-rare-challenge/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.