(Topic ID: 142354)

MidWest Gaming 'RARE' CHALLENGE!

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_56981.jpg
    MD_2020.jpg
    image.jpg
    PB081879.jpg
    image.jpeg
    whack-a-doodle_doo.jpg
    udderly_tickets.jpg
    Entex-BlackKnightPinballBox.jpg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 8 years ago

Vidgameseller has stepped up the game and posted a public challenge to me for bringing rare and high quality pins to MGC (april 8-10, 2016). I love his positivity! Because of this I figured lets have a little fun with this and lets get more GREAT and RARE titles to MGC this year!

I personally am going to run a contest for the BEST RARE TITLEs and will award prizes. (Dan if you have any problem with me doing this then let me know. I dont want to step on any toes and this is intended to be entirely different than your normal "best in show" contest)

This is how it works:
    Every person bringing a game to MGC will be handed 2 special painted quarters. It is asked that you place each quarter into a RARE game of your choosing that you personally think is both rare and plays great.
    RARE typically means it is not a common game to see for you, but I will leave this open to your interpretation.
    **It is up to you as the quarter dropper to decide for yourself what you think is rare! Entirerly your decision!
    My only request is that the game should be playing great and well tuned.

Please place this quarter into a game by Saturday night BEFORE the start of the afterparty.

It is asked that owners of rare games check their coinbox at the very start of the afterparty and then find (I think afterparty starts at 8pm? so find me by 8:10) me so I can tally the votes.

3 categories
    BEST RARE non-DMD/solidstate
    BEST RARE DMD
    BEST RARE EM or non-traditional pinball game (MUST be a pinball machine) The focus of this is pinball

I will personally provide some fun and interesting prizes.

sound fun?

edit to add growing list (you dont have to share in advance but why not):

One of the pins I bring will likely be NightMoves (with NOS clearcoated pf?) or Carribean Cruise (HUO)
    Vidgame >goinnutz (NOS clearcoated) and qbert possibly?
    Chirzg > protoBSD
    Dan > depends on what he has shopped out and working at the time
    belairjoe > bonebusters
    nutshell > Shadow with a playfield reworked by hep

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont want to step on any toes and this is intended to be entirely different than your normal "best in show" contest

Have a problem? HECK NO! I will probably drag Mystery Castle out again because of it. Or, maybe if I suddenly discover a vast well of time, linked NBAFB (single game isn't rare, linked is) or Alvin G Football head to head. Or, if I just decide to be totally crazy, Viza War.

Although with the exception of NBAFB, where do they fall? Duhn-duhn-duhn.

Viza War couldn't win though. There is a hold someone cut directly below the cash box so it drops the quarters onto the floor, and it only plays by sticking a quarter in. Weird game, that one. It is only still with me because I pile tools on it.

#3 8 years ago

linked NBA would BE GREAT! If you bring them I suggest we run a special head to head tourney on them!

Highscore qualifying and head to head elimination bracket playoffs!

#4 8 years ago

Would be nice if these were in a certain area or row. Maybe I will bring the proto BSD I picked up

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Would be nice if these were in a certain area or row. Maybe I will bring the proto BSD I picked up

great idea. I will talk to tully about arranging this in the game hall!

Proto BSD would be sweet also!

#6 8 years ago

prizes will liekly be fun/odd and adult themed in nature. some will also be rare and of value, so this contest is no joke and I will be making sure there is ample reward to stand behind this incentive.

#7 8 years ago

Im up for it, and as long as things go right, Ill be bringing Goin Nuts. Im not wanting to do this to win anything, that doesnt matter. But if we do something like this, it can ONLY make a show better. I really want to do something like this at Expo, but with as great of a show that Dan puts on, MGC is worty of being the test show for it.

Anyone that brings a game to qualify for this, I guarantee that you will get free beer Saturday night. How can you beat that!!!

But im sure we will disagree with what is considered rare, so lets not make it about prizes being won. Maybe say that to be considered rare, that it has to be in IPDB, and that it cant be a current Bootique pin that has hopes of being produced.

#8 8 years ago

Hilton, why dont you edit your post to maybe say the games that people are intending to bring, this way others can see what will be there, which might get some other games to be brought out if the showing is that good. I dont think that there is any reason to keep a game secret hoping to surprise someone, I think that this is all in good fun to just get some really cool/obscure things out in the public.

You know what im hoping to bring

Goin Nuts and/or Qberts Quest. Really would like them both to be there side by side

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

linked NBA would BE GREAT! If you bring them I suggest we run a special head to head tourney on them!
    Highscore qualifying and head to head elimination bracket playoffs!

That's the longest shot to make it. Not just does it require me shopping two games, I need a boardset for the second machine... It could happen though...

#10 8 years ago

I will leave "rare" up to the people dropping in the quarters to define for themselves. This is just something fun I want to do to continue on your positive challenge.

I like the idea of trying to get some of the more traditionally rare games into a specific row, but the contest is open to any pin on the floor. Whatever pin from each category has the most quarters will win a fun prize! If someone brings a proto lebowski or something of the likes I say it is fair game for this contest. Rare good playing games are what this is all about along with a little friendly competition and some fun!

One of the pins I bring will likely be NightMoves (with NOS clearcoated pf?) or Carribean Cruise (HUO)
    Vidgame is bringing goinnutz (NOS clearcoated) and qbert possibly?
    Chirzg bringging protoBSD

some good titles already!

wonder what else may show up???

Lots of time for everyone to plan and start working

#11 8 years ago

Hilton I'm-thinking about bringing bone busters.not sure if this considered rare?

#12 8 years ago

what color paint will be used? <eyes handful of quarters>

-c

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I need a boardset for the second machine... It could happen though...

ask wally. I hear he has a couple NBAs hidden in the dungeon waiting to be tourtured and get a sex change

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

Hilton I'm-thinking about bringing Bone Busters.not sure if this considered rare?

I consider it RARE! I will add it to the growing list. More GTB competition!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

That's the longest shot to make it. Not just does it require me shopping two games, I need a boardset for the second machine... It could happen though...

I can bring my Fastbreak, I think I already programmed it for link play (have the rom for it)..... The only caveat is that you have to have yours setup mean and super fast like mine....

The rare game thing is going to be tough..... Defining rare is kind of tough to do. I would define rare as anything under 100 produced. Not sure what others would define rare as.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Carribean Cruise (HUO)

For the record, whenever you sell this you need to contact me first. I have been looking for one practically ever since I played one on the Big Red Boat back in 1999 or so.

I'm not looking to pay stupid money for it, and as everyone knows I don't exactly have room for it, so... yeah. But knowing that I'll have a crack at one eventually will make me stop looking for them for a while now. Maybe I can actually buy a house first.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

what color paint will be used? <eyes handful of quarters>
    -c

lol

I will come up with something that is unique. We already had people making fake wristbands last year so while a joke it is worth making sure we avoid any hanging chads

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I can bring my Fastbreak, I think I already programmed it for link play (have the rom for it)..... The only caveat is that you have to have yours setup mean and super fast like mine....
    The rare game thing is going to be tough..... Defining rare is kind of tough to do. I would define rare as anything under 100 produced. Not sure what others would define rare as.

I need to shop mine badly. It's currently in MGC storage, which is a giant disaster. We need to do a cleaning day BADLY.

#19 8 years ago

Sounds like fun. You may want to set some basic definitions of "rare". Production games only, or open to re-themed or newly designed/created one-of-a-kind games?

Also, rare EM's may not have a slot for "quarters"

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I would define rare as anything under 100 produced. Not sure what others would define rare as.

that is why I am leaving it entirely open to the quarter droppers to decide. No need to define it IMO. Some people may think MMr with colorDMD is rare? Some people woudl say excalibur is rare (old, many made but few in US and playable) That will be their choice. Since quarters are only being handed out to game bringgers I think it will all work out in the end. Many things can go into peoples definition of rare (number made, ever seen, proto, sample, condition, etc...) so just easiest to leave it all up to each person to decide.

I'll come up with some sort of card to give a general directive to quarter droppers but leave it pretty open ended.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

doh. had not thought of that. lack of EM ownership knowledge...

#22 8 years ago

I like that. One thought is you may want think about the quarter idea. I like it, but it might be difficult to pull off. I always like the little vote sheets for something like that.

I'm not opposed to adding this to the regular "vote sheets" and making it into a "Rare" category and putting a little definition on there. We can talk logistics though, but we can make something fair that works

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

doh. had not thought of that. lack of EM ownership knowledge...

You should get a few. They can be amazing. I strongly suggest 4 Square as a game where the ruleset is amazingly advanced, and if you are playing for points, you have to shoot so carefully for high scores. It's easily one of my top 10 games.

#24 8 years ago

What about a shadow with a playfield reworked by hep? Can't be to many of those.

#25 8 years ago

Hopefully I can get one other game done in time, but I dont think that it will follow my idea f a rare game. But i happen to have been a contestant on the show "Wheel of Fortune" a few months ago. The day i found out, i made a call and bought the pin. I am going to customize the game in some unique ways that will make the game special to me, but it will not mean a thing to others

Plans are.
    Using pinball browser,
    change the names on the game to the three names from the show i appeared on
    change the speech of calling out names to sound bytes from the show i was on

Modify the playfield plastic that shows the names of the players to match my show

Have the bobble heads resculpted to match the players of my show, and painted to match the clothing

Add an LCD screen somewhere to show clips from the show i appeared on.

I have no intentions of ever getting rid of the game, so the modifications wont hurt the value, but it is all mods that can be reveresed if needed.

The hard part about this is that my show does not air till next month, and it happened so fast that i dont remember the names of the other contestants, so i cant start any of it till after its on air so i can get that information

Troy

#26 8 years ago

That is Frickin awesome troy!

2nd pinsider to be on WoF! How did you do? When does it air?

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from nutshell79:

What about a Shadow with a playfield reworked by hep? Can't be to many of those.

adding it to the list!

Please tell me you are not going to sell it way too quick for way too cheap like you do every year

#28 8 years ago

Not for sale. One of my all time favorite games

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

Sounds like fun. You may want to set some basic definitions of "rare". Production games only, or open to re-themed or newly designed/created one-of-a-kind games?

I dont think that this will be really an issue. This is all started by me challenging Hilton to do something special for Expo next year, and it escalated to this. But it is all in fun and I know to me, it doesnt mean anything about winning or not.

With all the fuss about expo not having a great selection or number of games, its just something we think would be fun and get more games, and hopefully some very rare games out to be seen.

Its all about making the show fun!!! that is all that matters, plus remember, you get free beer at the saturday after hours party if you do bring a game

#30 8 years ago

I'll bring my HEP restored Capcom Kingpin? Is that rare enough for you?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'll bring my HEP restored Capcom Kingpin? Is that rare enough for you?

that will be tough to beat!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may need to make another category to fit the non-GTB and non-B/W

Also nice to see that I am not the only one that hides games form my collection and does not put them all in the pinside lineup

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Its all about making the show fun!!!

exactly! Well that and some friendly competition as I really like hanging out with you guys and having fun with the ribbing!

#34 8 years ago

It would be cool if there was a way to let people know why a game may be considered rare. I know that I have seen/played games in the past that were unique in some way, but I was clueless at the time. I'm not sure how that could be done without clogging up the room with people reading about games instead of playing them?

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That will be tough to beat!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also nice to see that I am not the only one that hides games form my collection and does not put them all in the pinside lineup ...

Sorry. I thought you would realize I was joking about the HEP Kingpin. Please don't thumbs down me ...

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

5 categories
    BEST RARE Gottlieb non-DMD
    BEST RARE Gottlieb DMD
    BEST RARE Bally/Williams non-DMD
    BEST RARE Bally/Williams DMD
    BEST RARE EM or non-traditional game

Why Gottlieb and B/W for DMD? No love for capcom or Alvin G? What about Spinball? These categories leave out a lot of very interesting machines which seems to defeat the purpose?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Why Gottlieb and B/W for DMD? No love for capcom or Alvin G? What about Spinball? These categories leave out a lot of very interesting machines which seems to defeat the purpose?

The majority of games always seem to fit in the GTB or B/W category.

We can do an other category to capture things liek Gweems Kingpin

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Sorry. I thought you would realize I was joking about the HEP Kingpin. Please don't thumbs down me ...

sorry buddy, you are now committed and on the list.

Luckily you have ~5 months to make it all happen...

I suppose you finding another rare game and pimping it out would be a satisfactory comsilation for this transgression

LMK what you are bringing once you decide for real...

#39 8 years ago

I just sold the two rarest games I own, I500 and Airborne.

Edit: Forgot about SC. That's rarer than both of those.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just sold the two rarest games I own, I500 and Airborne.

so you are saying you have 2 spots to fill and now a good goal of finding something more rare that you can clean up in time for mgc???

#41 8 years ago

I'm a little confused by the categories - I'd be more likely to drop one of these quarters into a Wheel of Fortune, Vacation America, or any Zaccaria on the planet than any Bally/Williams or Gottlieb Premier title.

It also seems weird to split pre-DMD Gottlieb out from pre-DMD Bally and Williams - as far as I know they weren't merged until something like 1990, so pre-DMD titles are a lot more likely to be either Bally or Williams, independently.

#42 8 years ago

The only pinball rarity I own wouldn't work for this challenge, as it is not an actual pinball machine, but it would fit right in with the gaming theme of the whole show.

It's the only boxed example of the Entex Black Knight handheld electronic pinball game known to exist!
    Entex-BlackKnightPinballBox.jpgEntex-BlackKnightPinballBox.jpg

Oh, yeah, I forgot, I also have another rare pinball toy, Parker Brothers' Drac. Two, actually, both boxed, one still sealed!

#43 8 years ago

Hilton,
    Why not just have "X" number of prizes, and just give prizes to that number of games. Whichever games gets the most painted quarters gets first prize, and go down. You have a few prizes set up on a table and first place gets its choice, and then go on down. Shouldnt matter what manufacturer. You get to many categories and confusion, it takes the fun out. Just plain and simple, make it easy.

ps, if you have any suggestions to how to make this friendly cometition better, please say. we have about 6 months to get it right

#44 8 years ago

all good suggestions. Will take them into account and adjust as needed before the competition hits on April 8th

Remember, this is all primarily about fun. If it does not work perfect this year then we will tweak it for the next one.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Why not just have "X" number of prizes, and just give prizes to that number of games.

I figured it is fun to incentivize bringing a variety of games. There are lots of rare GTB titles that are rarely seen so fun to see as large a diversity in games as possible.

Quoted from Law:

I'd be more likely to drop one of these quarters into a Wheel of Fortune, Vacation America, or any Zaccaria on the planet

That is the bauty of leaving "rare" up to all the game bringers that are dropping coins. I may drop one of mine in a WoF also. Love that game and not too often seen at a show.

#46 8 years ago

I guess technically Tron LE would be the rarest game in my collection, although I doubt that's the sort of thing Hilton had in mind.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I'm a little confused by the categories - I'd be more likely to drop one of these quarters into a Wheel of Fortune, Vacation America, or any Zaccaria on the planet than any Bally/Williams or Gottlieb Premier title.

What if that Bally/Williams or Gottlieb was one of a kind? I think it might make sense to lessen the cats to make it simpler like

BEST RARE non-DMD
    BEST RARE DMD

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I guess technically TRON LE would be the rarest game in my collection, although I doubt that's the sort of thing Hilton had in mind.

actually that is exactly what i was thinking. Bring out games into the public that are not often seen in public and share them. I can't see many people complaining about a tronLE as not rare. I have only seen a few. Much like beauty, rare is in the eye of the beholder.

Should I put you down?

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

BEST RARE non-DMD
    BEST RARE DMD

this may be the easiest thing to do and then just give more than one prize for each category? (I want to give out some cool and different prizes to make this fun + more incentive to bring more cool games since we will have multiple winners in each category)

godd suggestion!

#50 8 years ago

so can I put you down for bringing tronLE Gweem?

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwest-gaming-rare-challenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.