Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 369 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    F0919D2D-9B84-4EB8-BDD4-5117C5F9365A (resized).jpeg
    552EAE08-FBD4-47FD-807D-4F95A982A337 (resized).jpeg
    743AE9AD-EDCB-4FDC-96B5-6C51CB486197 (resized).jpeg
    E58B1158-D565-4EE5-B08D-99B3E76D9B0A (resized).jpeg
    785A92F1-CF57-4A0D-BF24-B03BE4FFC8F0 (resized).jpeg
    F561E221-52E4-4ACC-AFC4-22915713DAE5 (resized).jpeg
    E52A6957-C00D-426F-B0AF-C676E7D26CAC (resized).jpeg
    1F206D90-4C28-44DF-B292-37FFC588B8CF (resized).jpeg
    BE750C84-A119-4B55-BE1D-731DCE55A258 (resized).jpeg
    FB89455F-7C3E-46BE-9F42-B663CA33612D (resized).jpeg
    8807A555-CB45-4DFB-9E9C-274D8EC95B05 (resized).jpeg
    EF8B8004-371B-47E2-9B73-69C7D6362949 (resized).jpeg
    52E7955A-6E6E-410C-8E9F-EBA9A93FB44B (resized).jpeg
    BFD7508B-52B7-423C-B830-22604B2650BF (resized).jpeg
    C2AB1B9F-3677-431E-90EA-9A25DC4E256E (resized).jpeg
    There are 369 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Cherry-picking a couple quotes that encapsulate why I unfortunately no longer feel drawn to the show.

I'm not mad, it's no one's fault, successful things grow, etc. It just outgrew its charm for me, is all. I can't enjoy the airplane hangar vibe. And if you think I'm only picking on MGC, Expo ain't much better since its move.
    But enough bellyaching! Those who enjoy this sort of thing, enjoy the heck out of it for me. I'll probably return when my son is old enough to be into some form of gaming, all of which MGC represents well.

Right there with you. My kids enjoyed the show when I brought them.

I can say this: with the expanded vendor area, THAT'S where economies of scale really pay off with a show like this. Never have I ever seen such a selection of gaming goodness in a single place. You could attend this show and do nothing but spend time shopping in the vendor area and I doubt you'd be able to pick through it all. SO. MUCH. MERCHANDISE.

In 2021 I left with an Apple //e Imagewriter II with all the manuals, cords, everything in mint condition for $40. $40 freaking bucks. There's some great stuff there every year.

I'm out for the full weekend excursion (taking my bride to John Mayer acoustic - front row seats), but don't think I haven't briefly considered jetting down for a 1-day visit on Sunday to do nothing but rummage through that marketplace!

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

This has turned into a $1200 weekend now, even IF you're bringing a game for free entry. The headache and costs associated with driving in moving games in/out means it's a net neutral behavior for random game-bringers.
    I've been a part of this show in some way/shape/form for over 10 years now. There's been some fantastic history here. The heyday of the Sheraton location was the charm that cemented this show as a cult-following for me. I mean come on, I woke up on Sunday morning and enjoyed ham & eggs with Gary Stern and Svengoolie? Come on. Those were awesome times.
    Now it's too clinical and "convention-ey" for my taste. And I CANNOT diminish what a fucking shit-show load-in and load-out was the first 2 years of the WI center. GAWD. I have PTSD. Yes I hear you, Dan. It's better now.
    I know they're asking for owners to bring pins to keep the selection fresh, but man, at $10,000 a pop, I'm not really interested in slamming 2,000 plays on my machines in 3 days. You just can't recover from that kind of wear & tear. I'm out.
    It's so hard. I love Dan, Eric, Gary, Max and all of the other guys that work tirelessly on the show. But I just can't do the Milwaukee setup. Ugh.

I've voiced the same concerns for a few weeks now, as this was my favorite show by far, and been bringing games since the beginning.

$500/2 nights at the Hilton, about $300 in gas, easily a couple hundred in dinner/drinks etc. And that's bringing a game, so not including any admission to the show. It's not cheap.

My main reason for bringing a game has been access to the after party and avoiding the lines/crowds.

I'll still be going to the show because that's one of the 2 times a year I get to see my friends in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, Expo being the other. But I don't like the concrete floor/airplane hangar thing that both shows have become. I do like the gigantic vendor area at MGC though. And the costume contest. I remember when it used to be a dozen kids in halloween costumes, now its 200 Cosplayers.

#153 1 year ago

So, for everyone, re: OMG it's huge...

I've explained this before but it's true - MGC has sort of always been a house of cards. It has been that because from the beginning, we prioritized giving everyone who wanted to share their passion a place where they could do that. We have had an absolute explosion of people who wanted to share things at the show, one that is probably best encapsulated from 2018 when we moved to the Wisconsin Center and tripled our space: and still managed to be insanely cramped, needing to increase our space again in 2019.

The goal of the show has always been to allow that. But this has made it hell to run for so many years because content doesn't pay the bills. And for years, we didn't know if the show could break even until after we counted everything Sunday, and then still usually a few weeks later. The move downtown as I've described was brought on because the Sheraton went under new management, and they thought they could extort us. We would have had to give up the hotel room rooms we did (like where Spooky was and stuff like that), we would have had to place nothing in the hallways, do nothing in the bar area, nothing in the lobby... and they wanted an increase in money larger than we had made the previous year.

We took it downtown to keep it alive, and because we wanted to continue to provide a platform for fans of things to share their passions. If it isn't the right platform for you, *no problem*. It's not for everyone. It's become one hell of an undertaking.

And yeah, the show is going to continue to grow and evolve, and it's not always going to be the same. But it also can't be. I've put myself through hell the last few years because of it, and to get it to a point where now, this year, for the first time since 2017, I feel like the show actually has a solid future. I'm up way late Friday night, but I'm up and I'm happy and honestly excited to run it the week before the show.

If it didn't develop in the way you wanted, I get it. Things change, and for real - if it didn't go in this way, it would have just ended. I think we've all created something amazing together, and if you have decided what came of it isn't the same as it was, I appreciate you being part of the journey. I hope that you can look at what it becomes though and know that you played a role in it growing like it did.

And, if you are just getting to it now, and decide it is the right show for you, welcome. It's a unique thing, and I am going to do my best to keep it going as long as possible.

#155 1 year ago

It doesn't really affect anything now that wasn't affected last year, other than having some cranes outside. And it won't be open for us next year.

It does look cool, so it'll be interesting to see what 2025 holds!

#156 1 year ago

What’s the earliest you can pick up tickets on Friday?

#157 1 year ago

The show doesn't feel all that different to me than Brookfield. It's just bigger. I for one don't miss the room so packed with pins that you couldn't stand behind someone playing a game you were waiting on without blocking the aisle.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

The show doesn't feel all that different to me than Brookfield. It's just bigger. I for one don't miss the room so packed with pins that you couldn't stand behind someone playing a game you were waiting on without blocking the aisle.

I don't miss it getting to 90 degrees in the pinball room.

#159 1 year ago

I miss the Sheraton as well- but - I'm thankful we still have the show.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

The move downtown as I've described was brought on because the Sheraton went under new management, and they thought they could extort us. We would have had to give up the hotel room rooms we did (like where Spooky was and stuff like that), we would have had to place nothing in the hallways, do nothing in the bar area, nothing in the lobby... and they wanted an increase in money larger than we had made the previous year.

That would have killed the vibe even if it stayed at the Sheraton.

#161 1 year ago

I haven’t been since Covid, but going back this year. If anyone has a couple extra Saturday night game bringer tickets, I’ll pay.

Also my yearly suggestion for a small amount of game bringer Saturday night tickets for a hefty fee.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

So I am trying to figure out how to fit a third game in my van. I have got my wife and daughter coming and I want to get weekend passes for them. I know I can fit my Zizzle Pirates in the van with the other 2 games I am bringing. My question is would the Zizzle pirates qualify for a weekend pass? This game does have a historical significance to pinball as it was the last game John Popaduke worked on that wasn’t a scam.

Ok, so since I haven’t heard any response to this. I think it is safe to assume that the zizzle does not qualify for a weekend pass. I shall do my best to fit a third real pin in the van.

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from icust298:

Screenshot (resized).pngScreenshot (resized).pngAlso my yearly suggestion for a small amount of game bringer Saturday night tickets for a hefty fee.

Screenshot (resized).pngScreenshot (resized).png

#164 1 year ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this NOT the game bringer after party. You can't buy your way into that party. It is ONLY available for people that brought Games, bought games (and got the wristbands from the original game bringer), or volunteer to help at the show.

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this NOT the game bringer after party. You can't buy your way into that party. It is ONLY available for people that brought Games, bought games (and got the wristbands from the original game bringer), or volunteer to help at the show.

Ahhhh. I haven’t been since the first year in Milwaukee. Forgot there was a different after party now. Disregard.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That would have killed the vibe even if it stayed at the Sheraton.

Yeah, and I didn't even mention, the Sheraton before the 2018 show would have happened rented out the basement rooms on a permanent basis.

So, we would have had... (with sizes) the arcade (7k + 1k lobby), the museum (5k), the back rooms (6k) and the tent. Even with the tent, that would have left us at roughly 40k of space. I also can't imagine that cutting that much away from the show would make it seem similar. Even if I thought it would have been able to continue, it would have felt like it was dying because it would have shrunk roughly 33% of floor space from previous years. We made something like $10k of profit in 2017, which while woot woot profit, no one was getting a salary to run the show, and for a year's worth of work organizing and putting over $200k of risk into that show, I can't pretend that was the smartest deal as it was.

Their proposal was basically hey, you guys are huge, therefore you need to pay rack rate for the space, even though we sold out the hotel for them. This would have been like $20k more for just the rental. We legitimately didn't want to go. I have a bunch of emails where I asked as nicely as possible for them to work with me. And they kept repeating, "The contract is the contract, take it or leave it." They thought we had to take it or end the show, and they figured we wouldn't do that.

The decision to leave was also a massive issue for the Sheraton. We were the biggest event there all year by a wide margin. They have had a very rough time since then. It's still a cool property, and I hope to run another smaller show like we did like 18 months ago there again. But, the show as it stood didn't have a future there.

Quoted from floyd1977:

Yeah, I agree. One thing that I will say, pinball specific, that I love about the change in venues - in 2016, I believe that we were the first show to feature Stern's Ghostbusters pinball machine. And, for the launch of a cornerstone pinball by a manufacturer that has been a huge supporter of us, we had... TWO MACHINES! That year, Stern brought a total of four machines.

The first year at the Wisconsin Center, Stern brought 30.

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Not wrong, however I would suggest anyone who doesn't get to the Game Center After Party, look at going to that. It usually has about 25-30 pins to play, including five wacky tournaments for our Pinball Funhouse Tournament, where the top scores get pairs of tickets for Six Flags, Scott Danesi is performing, so is KUNG LAO with the guy who played Kung Lao in Mortal Kombat, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Not wrong, however I would suggest anyone who doesn't get to the Game Center After Party, look at going to that. It usually has about 25-30 pins to play, including five wacky tournaments for our Pinball Funhouse Tournament, where the top scores get pairs of tickets for Six Flags, Scott Danesi is performing, so is KUNG LAO with the guy who played Kung Lao in Mortal Kombat, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I've been going to the game bringers/workers after party for over 10 years. Last year the Official MGC After Party was better IMHO. I mean come on, Scott Danesi performing?!? Looking forward to it again this year!

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

I've been going to the game bringers/workers after party for over 10 years. Last year the Official MGC After Party was better IMHO. I mean come on, Scott Danesi performing?!? Looking forward to it again this year!

Don't forget Lords of the Trident were pretty good too!

To recap, Bring a game and you get admission to the Game Bringer/Game Center After Party AND the Official After Party. Official After Party attendees cannot attend the Game Center After Party.

And has anyone noticed Brew City Wrestling is back?!! Noon & 3pm Saturday & Sunday!!

#170 1 year ago

question for the after partiers: I kinda want to stay and check out the afterparty, but my big concern is parking. I only have my spot reserved until like 9 so I'd have to find a new parking spot most likely. Does parking open up later on at night? Like will I be able to find a spot in the parking lot of the event center? Will I have to pay for parking again? I just don't know the ropes

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

And has anyone noticed Brew City Wrestling is back?!! Noon & 3pm Saturday & Sunday!!

I saw that and am looking forward to it. Those guys take a beating.

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

question for the after partiers: I kinda want to stay and check out the afterparty, but my big concern is parking. I only have my spot reserved until like 9 so I'd have to find a new parking spot most likely. Does parking open up later on at night? Like will I be able to find a spot in the parking lot of the event center? Will I have to pay for parking again? I just don't know the ropes

Another parking question, I reserved parking a lot kind of across the street from the venue. I was an idiot and didn't see the massive parking lot for the venue itself. Should I cancel my parking and try and get into the main parking lot?

#173 1 year ago

The Parking lot to the north of the Wisconsin Center is gone. There's a lot to the south on 5th & Wisconsin. You could also try the Hilton, Hyatt or Wells st. garages, but you'll have to pay again. I've been lucky sometimes just finding a spot on the street. It takes patience and multiple laps sometimes, but you might get lucky and score a spot.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

The Parking lot to the north of the Wisconsin Center is gone. There's a lot to the south on 5th & Wisconsin. You could also try the Hilton, Hyatt or Wells st. garages, but you'll have to pay again. I've been lucky sometimes just finding a spot on the street. It takes patience and multiple laps sometimes, but you might get lucky and score a spot.

You said might get lucky and score! Yeah!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #175 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

Good to know. I have a spot secured in the lot just south of the venue but after 9 I would be on my own trying to find parking. Guess I will just play it by ear if I stick around, and it sounds like my reserved spot is pretty ideal for the day time

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Good to know. I have a spot secured in the lot just south of the venue but after 9 I would be on my own trying to find parking. Guess I will just play it by ear if I stick around, and it sounds like my reserved spot is pretty ideal for the day time

How much was it to reserve that?

#177 1 year ago

Dan I thought of you Saturday morning when I woke up to 10" of snow here in Madison.

Fingers crossed!

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Dan I thought of you Saturday morning when I woke up to 10" of snow here in Madison.
    Fingers crossed!

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Fingers crossed!

Seriously, I got like 10 people who texted me and told me I screwed up the dates for the show. I also did not appreciate having to shovel instead of staying on top of MGC business :-/ I think I'm back on it now. I want to go to bed before 1am some night. Maybe next week?

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

That North of the Center one was always insane. Best tip I know, head to here:

https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/location/

Get Spot Hero if you don't have it already, and check in that. I don't park for MGC but I have used that app to get parking in Chicago, and paid like $20 for an overnight and $4 for a spot near a place to eat where everything else was $20+. I have no idea what parking looks like this year, but I expect it should help!

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

How much was it to reserve that?

it was just over $17 using a promo code I had. I have the spot from 7:30 AM (way too early) to 9pm. Seems like a good deal. I used spothero like goatdan suggested.

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Seriously, I got like 10 people who texted me and told me I screwed up the dates for the show. I also did not appreciate having to shovel instead of staying on top of MGC business :-/ I think I'm back on it now. I want to go to bed before 1am some night. Maybe next week?

Oh Dan, don't you worry! We have 60 degrees and some nasty storms for Friday afternoon/evening. Then a serious temp drop and changing to snow overnight for Sat AM. But hey, sunny & 60 degrees on Sunday. WTF?

#183 1 year ago

I also miss the old location, but the new one is also great and the panels this year look especially good. More than the old location I miss the Mexican Coke guy, bring back Mexican Coke guy!

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from LapsedGamer:

I also miss the old location, but the new one is also great and the panels this year look especially good. More than the old location I miss the Mexican Coke guy, bring back Mexican Coke guy!

He's around the corner.... oh, the soft drink, nevermind then

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

That North of the Center one was always insane. Best tip I know, head to here:
    https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/location/
    Get Spot Hero if you don't have it already, and check in that. I don't park for MGC but I have used that app to get parking in Chicago, and paid like $20 for an overnight and $4 for a spot near a place to eat where everything else was $20+. I have no idea what parking looks like this year, but I expect it should help!

Just used that app, $40 from Friday 3pm til Sun 1pm -

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Oh Dan, don't you worry! We have 60 degrees and some nasty storms for Friday afternoon/evening. Then a serious temp drop and changing to snow overnight for Sat AM. But hey, sunny & 60 degrees on Sunday. WTF?

If you dint like the weather in Wisconsin... Wait five minutes and I'll change.

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Wait five minutes and I'll change

Don't change, we like you the way you are!

#188 1 year ago

That is what I get for typing on the toilet.

You're right I'LL NEVER CHANGE!

#189 1 year ago

Color DMD's that everyone ordered for the show deal just got delivered. When you check-in your game at the show (NOT at the dock), just ask for Jason or picking up your display.

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, and I didn't even mention, the Sheraton before the 2018 show would have happened rented out the basement rooms on a permanent basis.
    So, we would have had... (with sizes) the arcade (7k + 1k lobby), the museum (5k), the back rooms (6k) and the tent. Even with the tent, that would have left us at roughly 40k of space. I also can't imagine that cutting that much away from the show would make it seem similar. Even if I thought it would have been able to continue, it would have felt like it was dying because it would have shrunk roughly 33% of floor space from previous years. We made something like $10k of profit in 2017, which while woot woot profit, no one was getting a salary to run the show, and for a year's worth of work organizing and putting over $200k of risk into that show, I can't pretend that was the smartest deal as it was.
    Their proposal was basically hey, you guys are huge, therefore you need to pay rack rate for the space, even though we sold out the hotel for them. This would have been like $20k more for just the rental. We legitimately didn't want to go. I have a bunch of emails where I asked as nicely as possible for them to work with me. And they kept repeating, "The contract is the contract, take it or leave it." They thought we had to take it or end the show, and they figured we wouldn't do that.
    The decision to leave was also a massive issue for the Sheraton. We were the biggest event there all year by a wide margin. They have had a very rough time since then. It's still a cool property, and I hope to run another smaller show like we did like 18 months ago there again. But, the show as it stood didn't have a future there.

Yeah, I agree. One thing that I will say, pinball specific, that I love about the change in venues - in 2016, I believe that we were the first show to feature Stern's Ghostbusters pinball machine. And, for the launch of a cornerstone pinball by a manufacturer that has been a huge supporter of us, we had... TWO MACHINES! That year, Stern brought a total of four machines.
    The first year at the Wisconsin Center, Stern brought 30.

Wisconsin center rocks! Pinball has grown, site had to expand. Thanks for the efforts- can’t wait til Fri.!

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Wisconsin center rocks! Pinball has grown, site had to expand. Thanks for the efforts- can’t wait til Fri.!

Are you just saying that because you're on our billboard??

FB_IMG_1680054598906 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1680054598906 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2023-03-28-20-52-19-12_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6~2 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2023-03-28-20-52-19-12_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6~2 (resized).jpg
    #192 1 year ago

Will Wild Bills Soda Saloon be vending their soda-y sweetness all weekend long?

#193 1 year ago

All loaded and ready for MGC!

20230329_194603 (resized).jpg20230329_194603 (resized).jpg20230329_194615 (resized).jpg20230329_194615 (resized).jpg
    #194 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

All loaded and ready for MGC!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Triple stuffed. Nice.

I only have one, but the escalera and ghetto lifter are ready to rock too.

D445A1E8-D19D-4616-A1FA-26343C54C149 (resized).jpegD445A1E8-D19D-4616-A1FA-26343C54C149 (resized).jpeg
    #195 1 year ago

Loaded as well...
    Sorry- just realized it's a horrible picture...
    1. I miss my pickup with the full sized bed.
    2. I miss the weatherproof cap it had...

But, hey - buckle up Milwaukee, here we come!

Keith

IMG_20230329_203200 (resized).jpgIMG_20230329_203200 (resized).jpg
    #196 1 year ago

I'm loaded too!

Forgot to take pictures of the second semi though

20230328_144317 (resized).jpg20230328_144317 (resized).jpg
    #197 1 year ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Will Wild Bills Soda Saloon be vending their soda-y sweetness all weekend long?

Your guess is as good as mine. They are being super weird this year. I'll probably know hours before you do.

#198 1 year ago

According to wild bills website, they will be there, but hours as dan said no one knows

#199 1 year ago

Arcade hall is coming together. There are a ton of new pins here already.

20230330_170436 (resized).jpg20230330_170436 (resized).jpg
    #200 1 year ago

ARCADE FINGER

There are 369 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwest-gaming-classic-2023/page/4?hl=crumbalimb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.