Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 563 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by goatdan
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HAWS.jpg
    April-May-June-2016_010_(resized).jpg
    April-May-June-2016_001_(resized).jpg
    20160410_140242_(resized).jpg
    20160410_113602_(resized).jpg
    20160409_131728_004_(resized).jpg
    20160409_113239_(resized).jpg
    20160409_113232_(resized).jpg
    VECTOR_02_(resized).jpg
    VECTOR_01_(resized).jpg
    winner_(resized).jpg
    20160410_014613.jpg
    941317_10207590349629792_3033858398120702075_n_(resized).jpg
    12985498_10207590349789796_4993159148576140990_n_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr2xbass.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 8 years ago

I love MGC. I love everything about MGC. I literally cannot put into words how [insert adjective] it is to bring the 5yr old on family day and let her play all the games she wants without dumping rolls of quarters into machines. I brought her last year (when she was 4) and she has brought it up at least once a month every month since. I do not know who is more stoked, her or me (I do know, it's me ).

One teensy tiny request though: Any chance the MPC could please have a lineup other than Metallica and Super Soccer for the 3rd (4th?) year in a row? I understand there's something to be said for the difficulty of getting multiple working-without-fail machines so qualifying doesn't take forever and a day, and I also do appreciate Super Soccer for the sake of the tournament not being all Modern DMD and Stern. And believe me, I'm excited for MGC and MPC any way it happens. But I remember my first MGC back in Oconomowoc where the pin tourney was Judge Dredd, CSI, Farfalla, ..something EM.. but the mix of eras was great. Just my 2¢, or 1/25 of a credit as it were. I'm just an old fuddy-duddy... (and maybe also I can't play Mustang to save my life..)

4 weeks later
    #113 8 years ago

My subconscious self can tell it's getting close to MGC.. everyday I am checking the website to see if things have been updated like Tournament Buttons and what not. I realize goatdan and the rest of the core MGC crew are busy and hard at work and that there'll probably be a post or email alerting us when updates happen.. I'M JUST SO ANCY! Exactly 6 weeks from today, right now, I'll be playing a sub-par round of pingolf and struggling through clock chaos and HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE doing it.

2 weeks later
    #136 8 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

Someone asked me today if there were photos of the pinball machines we get at MGC each year. I forgot to snap photos in 2015 but I got some in 2014 and 2013.
    If you would like similar photos for 2016, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Very cool. Found myself in one from the '14 album.

#145 8 years ago

Remember the countdown clock the older MGC website had in years past...? Yeah, that was neat.

***Three weeks is NOT too early to start getting geeked for MGC***

1 week later
    #189 8 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

I'm wondering if it's possible to have people wear name tags during the party on Saturday with both their real name and pinside name.
    It would be great to formally meet everyone.

I wouldn't think it's something that could be enforced, but I for one am planning on utilizing the PS name-badge generator to make a badge at least for Saturday night.

#191 8 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Ok I know its crazy but my buddy and I might drive up to the show. but of coarse I want to go to the party. We will be driving Friday, so... First: can I bring a game in on Saturday?(sorry that is explained) Second: I would be bringing Dracula but with one game can both my friend and I go to the after party? Third: how is the retro gaming section and vending? My buddy is more into video games and arcades than pinball. Main reason I want to go besides that I like shows, is because I'm getting a RZ and would love to see Spooky and play the game, also i'll probably play in the tourney and buy/trade some video games.

I'm not involved with the show but here's what I can tell you:

1) I believe you can bring games on Saturday if they are setup by 9:30am(?). If you're planning on setting a game up on that morning, make mention of it when you pre-register your game through the http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/bring-your-arcade-machines/

2) One game = one party admission. Believe me, I went to the party once one year when I was selling some old machines and discovered it was a blast. Didn't get to go again for a couple years while I didn't have anything to offer, though I did try to get party passes donated as prizes for local tournaments to no avail. Now having a machine again and getting to attend the party last year, I can definitely understand the strict policy of "one game = one ticket". The show is possible via people offering up their machines for the public to play for free, the reward is the after party.

3) Vending sections, home console sections, and arcade sections are SOLID. Pretty sure the home console area has representation of everything ever released in US and sometimes a Famicom and others here or there. The arcade hall usually has rows and rows of pins on the floor but the walls are lined with arcade video games. The vendor section has a lot of.. everything.

#196 8 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

well my other 2 games aren't really up to show standards.

If it plays and will play all Sat and Sun, I'd say do it. If the only hold up on HH is that the scoring isn't properly displayed on three of the displays but the game plays otherwise (not constantly resetting, switches and coils work, doesn't blow up or fall apart when you touch it), bring it! I'd love a chance to play Haunted House IRL vs. only on Pinball Arcade. You can't expect everything at a show to be golden.
    Plus, there will be so many pinheads there (including those who do board repair professionally) you might even be able to get the issue fixed at the show!

A lot of the time I only see people playing one-player games anyway...*

*Which is unfortunate because the situation is the best scenario to meet a new friend: You're standing at a machine about to start a new game and someone is standing there not playing a game. "Hey, wanna play a 2-player game?" Boom. New friend.

New friend or you discover I, er,, I mean this 'new' person is a total dweeb and should be avoided.

#197 8 years ago

I have however heard stories of some people who every year try to bring the same busted up machine and it doesn't ever even boot up but they claim "I don't know, it was working just before I packed it up". That's some bs.

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you could also set credits to max and then stop but to credit it up every so often.

Yup, on my 80B I set it for max credits (20) and replay level at minimum (100k).

It also is easy enough to jump the credit switch to the start switch.

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Hey anyone know, the Uhual 5x8 enclosed trailer. Can you stand up a pin in those?

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

Website states they are 5'4" tall inside and the door opening is 4'10". Probably could stand up four.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Does anybody know if the time slots have been emailed to those who signed up for the Clock Chaos tournament?

I think I received mine in my confirmation email I believe. Also, there was an email sent out to everyone who had already signed up for CC before they added a block of earlier slots to see if those people wanted to move their slot sooner, and through a link in that email it also showed me my slot.

#216 8 years ago

Today marks one week until the show (VIG) and eight days until the MPC tournament. Seems like a good time to make the announcement for the MPC lineup. Maybe the big reveal will happen at the preview event tonight at Binary. Goatdan....?

#235 8 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Anyone know if the gaming vendors buy during the show? Decent prices?

IME, they do not. They have a LOT to sell.

Maybe if you have something ultra-rare.. but otherwise there's a thread for buying/selling things other than pins if you wanna post.

#277 8 years ago

It's hard to say. I've been hearing chatter of a few people canceling their reservations at the Sheraton. There is also the partner hotel Just up the road. Google "Brookfield Wisconsin hotel" and you'll see what's near the Sheraton. if you're get a room somewhere too far to walk, you can always Uber.

#428 8 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

Thanks mr2xbass for loaning me your multimeter during the after party so I could get Genesis functional.

Happy to do it! Hope that NVRAM works out for you.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Pingolf was a little hecktic to run, but wasn't to bad. Bottle necking was a minimum. Only had one game really slow everything down.

Yeeeeah ok, maybe 1,500,000 was a little high....

#437 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was unaware that Spring break was a chopping wood type game. As you advance from ball 1, 2 and 3, scoring is easier and easier, so by ball 3, 1.5 million is pretty much handed to you. But trying to do it on ball 1 was a LOT of work

I should've dialed in the setup/leveling better too. Home now and leveled the way I had it here before, I'm consistently putting up 3-6mill on ball one.

At Mad Rollin 2016 it will be objective based and I will by then also have the ROM update for single-ball (on launch) play. Will go much faster.

#525 8 years ago

After Party: The food, libations, silent auction, etc., all icing, extraordinary icing, on an already delicious cake. The cake is that there should theoretically be one person per machine on the floor. THAT is what makes the AfterParty so rewarding for me, not having to wait long to play.

Moving a machine is no effortless task, which is why I only do it once or twice a year. There's a reason the party is so good, and it's because it's attended by the people who really care about the show, who care enough to risk their own machine being greased out by crowds and kids who mash flippers. Hell, forget the crowd, it's risk enough just wheeling a pin around, loading it in and out of a vehicle.

It is totally rad that the show is starting to pick up more notoriety with out-of-state attendance. But the AfterParty is not "pay more money, get more show", that is what Friday VIG is for. The AfterParty is "MGC Arcade Hall is ONLY possible by you, the people who bring machines. Thank you and now let's all hang together."

As others have mentioned "AfterParty tickets in exchange for help", believe me, if I had multiple machines I would LOVE to give my extra admissions to my friends BUT the clear caveat would be, "sure you can have a ticket, just come by my place and pick up the machine, transport it there, set it up, take it down on Sunday, drive it back to my house and unload it and set it up again." Really, the arcade hall at best makes up only 33% of the Midwest Gaming Classic, more like 25 or 20%. AfterParty admission should be a reward and is a great reward for people who volunteer time and effort to make the show happen. Clearly, there is a ton that goes into putting on this show besides just bringing machines (PITA as it is).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr2xbass.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwest-gaming-classic-2016-official-thread?tu=mr2xbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.