3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 563 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by goatdan
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 40 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HAWS.jpg
    April-May-June-2016_010_(resized).jpg
    April-May-June-2016_001_(resized).jpg
    20160410_140242_(resized).jpg
    20160410_113602_(resized).jpg
    20160409_131728_004_(resized).jpg
    20160409_113239_(resized).jpg
    20160409_113232_(resized).jpg
    VECTOR_02_(resized).jpg
    VECTOR_01_(resized).jpg
    winner_(resized).jpg
    20160410_014613.jpg
    941317_10207590349629792_3033858398120702075_n_(resized).jpg
    12985498_10207590349789796_4993159148576140990_n_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 563 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
    #101 3 years ago

This will be my first year at MGC. Is there an alcohol policy in place for the event? For sale at hotel? BYOB? Dry? Same question for the Tom Taylor open house event. Thanks in advance. I don't want to cause trouble if I carry in a sixer for the day.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from A_Bord:

This will be my first year at MGC. Is there an alcohol policy in place for the event? For sale at hotel? BYOB? Dry? Same question for the Tom Taylor open house event. Thanks in advance. I don't want to cause trouble if I carry in a sixer for the day.

During the show you can walk around with a beer. don't think your allowed to bring it in but I have. there is also bar that serves beer and liquor there. but remember little kids are around. ALOT of video gamers are under the age of 21. as long as you don't act a fool and are cool I don't think it's a problem. But the Saturday night after party is when you start doing jager bombs and playing pinball

#103 3 years ago

Cool, thanks. Not interested in getting blitzed. Just a casual drink to wash down all the pinball. Looks like it is going to be a great event.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from A_Bord:

I've walked around the last 2 years with a cocktail in my hand all weekend. No problems at all. Well, except for the guy who tripped on a taped down power cord and soaked me and a sweet ass Metalica. Up to the room to change and back playing pinball in 10 minutes.
    Tom's might be a bit different. There is an area with a couple of booths but being holy pinball ground I would forgo the drinks for the short time you get to be there. Up to Tom and Dan ultimately I would think.

#105 3 years ago

pin gulps should be required for any pin coming in the door. I'm not greedy l, it can just be one per machine.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

pin gulps should be required for any pin coming in the door. I'm not greedy l, it can just be one per machine.

Have a loaner program?

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

Only if you have extra long leg bolts (from another thread...)

#108 3 years ago

Wow, totally missed some stuff...

Let's see here... Beer policy is sort of different due to idiots last year, it's allowed but not in the ticketed areas. During after party it is. In the past, we had very few people walking around with it and it wasn't a big deal, last year the hotel encouraged walking around with it and some fool nearly ruined a literally irreplaceable item, so it will be more limited.

For Tom's, I don't know what his exact policy is but I'd skip it for then. Regardless, if you haven't been to the show before, there is a large area that is not "ticketed" so if you keep a beer up in your room, come down, hang out with a ton of people and then go into an area it shouldn't be too bad.

For the tournament, with the "wonderful" state rules, we switched to three games from five. We then worked with Marco to bring some modern games in. Metallica has been in the tourney the past two years because it's Stern game Marco and us have teamed up on to get to the show.

I'm wholly open to using other games, but I need to get some that are more or less bulletproofed and at the show. I need doubles on anything that isn't an EM, and I need a hardcore, mean EM, three different titles, five games total.

If you've got a machine that you think might work, throw it out... But it must be a truly bulletproofed version. I won't name games or years, but at least three times in the past we've had bulletproofed games show up that aren't usable due to issues of some type, and that leaves us scrambling. Not fun.

Also, and finally, VIG is about 75 tickets from selling out this year. If you want in, I'd suggest signing up sooner than later, it looks like it will sell out within the next four weeks. Lots of new stuff this year for it, including we're going to open up some of the arcade hall for it!

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Beer policy is sort of different due to idiots last year

This is a bummer. Sucks when one dude ruins it for the rest of us.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from damageinc55:

This is a bummer. Sucks when one dude ruins it for the rest of us.

I agree.

Having said that, it wasn't supposed to be "walk everywhere with beer" before that point, and really the only areas that you lose the ability to have a beer with you are the display areas. In general, if you want to be chilling, you want to be outside those areas anyway - and where that is, you can still have a beer

1 week later
    #111 3 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'd like to apologize for it taking so long for this email to go out. Too many other things at work and home have prevented me from dedicating any time to MGC and/or pinball.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who helped make the arcade hall at last years Midwest Gaming Classic such a success. We set a new record for number of games. In addition, the quality of games you guys bring is totally amazing. We couldn't do this without support from all of you.

We're only about 1 1/2 months away from this years show and preparations are in full force. Information about setup times and other details will go out in about 3 weeks. If you have other questions that need answers in advance of that, please feel free to ask. I'm going to highlight a few of the important changes to be made aware of coming up in advance of this years show.
    http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/bring-your-arcade-machines/

If you are joining us again this year and bringing a game, please drop us a note at arcadehall@midwestgamingclassic.com and let us know what you're bringing. This really helps us with planning for each year and ensures you get our email info for setup and the like.

1. As most of you are aware, the arcade hall is located in the largest space in the hotel. You guys have responded in amazing fashion and filled that room the last two years. As such, we've had to make a few tweaks in how we handle some game types. First, nothing changes for pinball machines and upright arcade cabinets (including caberets). Counter top games (these would be your Megatouchs and mini-arcade cabinets) will only be considered for partial (1/2) game registration. In addition, in order to qualify for that, it must be an original manufacturer (ie: non-MAME) machine that was intended to used in a coin-operated/money making fashion. Some have suggested that we simply don't allow them at all, but we didn't want to totally eliminate them since some people would like to be able to sell them. As such, we will do our best to accomodate games of this type but there is no guarantee that we will be able to find a playable, powered space for them. But, we will do our best. If you have any questions about a specific game you want to bring, please contact us at arcadehall@midwestgamingclassic.com.

In addition, for cocktail machines (applies to both pinball and video type), those will continue to receive full registration credit. However, like countertop machines, these are a challenge to accomodate in our space. So, we are not able to guarantee that we will be able to find a playable, powered spot for them. Again, if you have any questions on this, please contact us at arcadehall@midwestgamingclassic.com.

2. Unfortunately, Tom Taylor's Arcade Open House on Friday afternoon is already sold out. In addition, so is the hotel. But, if you haven't gotten lodging setup for yourself yet, there is still reduced rate rooms available at a partner hotel just a couple blocks to the south of the Sheraton.
    https://bookings.ihotelier.com/Brookfield-Suites-Hotel-and--Convention-Center/select_rooms.jsp?hotelId=73150

3. On Friday night, we are one again offering a bunch of activities including dinner, drinks, pinball tournaments and more. In addition, a small portion of arcade hall will be open for those with VIG passes. There are still a limited number of ticket available if you are interested in participating. Note, your weekend pass for bringing a game does not include the Friday night VIG.
    http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/get-vig/

4. The famous (in-famous?) arcade hall after party continues to be a highlight of show for many (including myself). As with prior years, you are not able to buy tickets to this party. So if you want to attend, you need to bring a game. This party exists to thank you for bringing your games to share and allow you to interact with your fellow hobbiests. The party includes food, drinks, best-of-show voting and more! It will take place after the official close of the show on Saturday night starting at approximately 8:30pm and go until 3am.

5. We remain a collector friendly environment and understand that the MGC is a great way to market and sell your game. We continue to offer this without any fee or commission. However, as a reminder, once a game is setup and registered, it must remain available for free-play until at least 11am on Saturday. If a machine is sold and powered down or removed from the floor before that time, you will be required to pay a $100 early removal penalty. If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks!

#113 3 years ago

My subconscious self can tell it's getting close to MGC.. everyday I am checking the website to see if things have been updated like Tournament Buttons and what not. I realize goatdan and the rest of the core MGC crew are busy and hard at work and that there'll probably be a post or email alerting us when updates happen.. I'M JUST SO ANCY! Exactly 6 weeks from today, right now, I'll be playing a sub-par round of pingolf and struggling through clock chaos and HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE doing it.

#114 3 years ago

I've got my hotel, I need to get off my butt and get my tickets...

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

Exactly 6 weeks from today, right now, I'll be playing a sub-par round of pingolf and struggling through clock chaos and HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE doing it.

+1

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

Exactly 6 weeks from today

it is stressing me out man!!!! I am in no way ready for MGC this year.

#117 3 years ago

It may be too late to set up (and there are already a lot of great events) but I'd love to see a classics tournament.

#119 3 years ago

Question about Pingolf. Do only VIG members get access to pingolf? and does having a VIG guarantee a tee time or do I have to sign up separately? I remember last year being really difficult to finish even with all the hardwork the volunteers put into. Im looking forward to giving it another go.

#120 3 years ago

So... much.. to... do...

Life.

Anyway...

Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Question about Pingolf. Do only VIG members get access to pingolf? and does having a VIG guarantee a tee time or do I have to sign up separately? I remember last year being really difficult to finish even with all the hardwork the volunteers put into. Im looking forward to giving it another go.

To play in PinGolf, you must have a VIG Pass, yes. We had along discussion about last year and came up with a bunch of stuff to solve it. Here's the basic stuff...

1) The qualifying holes is being knocked down to 6 from 9. More on this in a bit, as there will be playoffs...
    2) The PAR score on the games should be 3. Last year, I think it was 6. Faster games.
    3) You will be able to start and stop as you please.
    4) You will be able to play the games in whichever order you wish. This (And the last one) will allow you to go visit other stuff if there is a line. It's up to you to figure out how to finish though, and at a certain time (I think it's in the rules, I forget... 11pm?) when those games are done the qualifying is done.
    5) The game choice will skew toward older, faster playing titles.
    6) A round of playoffs has been introduced. It both qualifies everything for IFPA points, but should move very quickly on it's own and gives the people at the end 12 holes to have played.

By doing this, we expect that playing through should go much quicker. If each hole takes 10 minutes for a 4 player group (2.5 minute games per player), the contest will have a 120 person capacity. This is in line with what we were shooting for as an overall capacity for the event.

This is not a guarantee that there won't be waits, as technically the capacity of it is only about 50% of the attendance scheduled for VIG. Having said that, with the amount of attractions that we have available at the night, if you see a line you may wish to visit a different attraction and then return when it is less busy. We expect peak times to be 6-7pm and 10-11pm.

(holy crap, I feel like I'm back running theme park capacities again...)

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

It may be too late to set up (and there are already a lot of great events) but I'd love to see a classics tournament.

For the record, I would too. It's a combination of space considerations and just how much manpower running the tournaments takes.

I actually bought for purposes of the show some games to eventually do a true classic Classics event - Lady Robin Hood, Cinderella, Wisconsin (all from 1948) - but they have sat stored waiting angrily for me to unearth them. I think that would be an absolute blast though.

#122 3 years ago

I know you don't sell, but...If you decide to sell the Wisconsin I know someone willing to take it off your hands (Me! Me! Me!).

Frank

#123 3 years ago

I have a nice working 8ball I can bring for a potential entry for the classics or pingolf if needed.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I know you don't sell, but...

This may be changing in the not too distant future. I have some, uh, changes that we are making (some people know, but we've decided to officially "announce" later, and no, has nothing to do with the show) that will give me an answer about my future arcade in the not too distant future.

Having said that, I don't know that this one would be on the chopping block. It is a cool game, and I LOVE the super old stuff. Getting the ball from the bottom flipper to the top on Lady Robin Hood feels about as good as starting System Failure on Jurassic Park.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I have some, uh, changes that we are making

Best wishes on what ever you are going to do Dan !
    LTG : )

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

This may be changing in the not too distant future. I have some, uh, changes that we are making (some people know, but we've decided to officially "announce" later, and no, has nothing to do with the show) that will give me an answer about my future arcade in the not too distant future.
    Having said that, I don't know that this one would be on the chopping block. It is a cool game, and I LOVE the super old stuff. Getting the ball from the bottom flipper to the top on Lady Robin Hood feels about as good as starting System Failure on Jurassic Park.

You've announced , that there may be an announcement ! No good can come from this .

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

You've announced , that there may be an announcement ! No good can come from this .

There will be an announcement.

It has nothing to do with the MGC though, so let's not speculate on that. It's a simple "Dan life" announcement. Good things.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

There will be an announcement.

Aw hell, was going to wait for my wife to post on Facebook, but we haven't had time so...

After years of wanting to put up more of my machines, we have made an offer that was accepted for a new house! I've been waiting for this for a while. I think I can fit about 40 or so machines, so I'll eventually be selling some of mine, but I'm happy to finally have an answer to the house, and I can't wait to have friends over for a pinball party!

Probably not until fall, I need to do a lot of work in the basement to get it ready, but... Yeeeeeeeee!

#129 3 years ago

Awesome!!! Fantastic news Dan. Congrats!!

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from cards25:

Awesome!!! Fantastic news Dan. Congrats!!

Thanks! It's an amazing house from the late 1800s, and we can't believe we can afford it but we can... Helps it is a duplex, but it is rented to Doctors (medical college in the area) so that's great too. We've been looking on and off for years, and I had just about given up on us ever deciding on something. Super excited it's working out!

#131 3 years ago

Congrats Dan!

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Aw hell, was going to wait for my wife to post on Facebook, but we haven't had time so...
    After years of wanting to put up more of my machines, we have made an offer that was accepted for a new house! I've been waiting for this for a while. I think I can fit about 40 or so machines, so I'll eventually be selling some of mine, but I'm happy to finally have an answer to the house, and I can't wait to have friends over for a pinball party!
    Probably not until fall, I need to do a lot of work in the basement to get it ready, but... Yeeeeeeeee!

Awesome ! Congratulations !

#133 3 years ago

40 Pins?! that's amazing! We were happy to have room for 7 setup in our new place.

House sounds really sweet - you will definitely have some "Epic" times there - big congrats to you guys.

1 week later
    #134 3 years ago

Came into a small stash of shop gear I think you guys might be interested in. All too heavy or fragile to ship, but I'll drag it all to the MGC. A few older pace MBT soldering stations (no handpieces or cords), Spectroline EPROM eraser, and a few other cool goodies that are/were very pricey when new.

A lot of it will be marked with "please don't make me take this home" prices.

Anybody interested in some big spools of Amp mate-n-lok pins? Again, I'll let them go real cheap. I just don't want to drag these along unless somebody actually wants.

#135 3 years ago

Someone asked me today if there were photos of the pinball machines we get at MGC each year. I forgot to snap photos in 2015 but I got some in 2014 and 2013.

If you would like similar photos for 2016, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

MGC 2014:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/albums/72157643921094475

MGC 2013:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/albums/72157633080001031

Tom Taylors 2013:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/albums/72157633080005671

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

Someone asked me today if there were photos of the pinball machines we get at MGC each year. I forgot to snap photos in 2015 but I got some in 2014 and 2013.
    If you would like similar photos for 2016, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Very cool. Found myself in one from the '14 album.

#137 3 years ago

I was finally able to get my wife interested in pinball over the last few months. She has decided to go to MGC for the first time now to check out the machines. My wife has never wanted to go to anything like this before so I'm a very happy husband!

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

I was finally able to get my wife interested in pinball over the last few months. She has decided to go to MGC for the first time now to check out the machines. My wife has never wanted to go to anything like this before so I'm a very happy husband!

NICE!

#139 3 years ago

Looking forward to this show, it is fun

#140 3 years ago

Are we there yet!!

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

Wife went once and was done in an hour. I assumed as much - used the work excuse so we both had cars there. That was a good move for both of us. I hope you either have better results that we did...or a good escape plan.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Wife went once and was done in an hour. I assumed as much - used the work excuse so we both had cars there. That was a good move for both of us. I hope you either have better results that we did...or a good escape plan.

I am concerned that might happen. But, she seems enthusiastic about trying all the different machines. So, I guess we will find out lol!

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Looking forward to this show, it is fun

You know what would make it more fun...a Pinball Olympics line-up!

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crashnburn:

Are we there yet!!

Three weeks from today, I'll already be there. Gosh, I hope I can find something to do in Milwaukee in my spare time*

*I went to college nearby, I go back to the area at least once a year. I got this!

#145 3 years ago

Remember the countdown clock the older MGC website had in years past...? Yeah, that was neat.

***Three weeks is NOT too early to start getting geeked for MGC***

#146 3 years ago

There hasn't been an official announcement but a few of us have been working on a Silent Auction, to be held during the After Party at MGC, to help fund food, beverage and other special stuff for the After Party. We have some great donations so far, but we could use a lot more.

Our goal is to raise money to improve the After Party, and with your help, we can do that. If you have a relationship with a vendor that could donate their product, or a gift certificate for their product, ping them and see what they can do. And don't be worried that we might have pinged them already. The more visibility vendors have to the auction, the better chance we have at getting more donations.

The After Party was designed to give back to the many volunteers, and contributors that bring their games to MGC to share with others. Without them, MGC would not be the great show that it is. If you are a company selling product for pinball enthusiasts, if you sell pinball mods on the side, or if you know a guy that knows a guy that works for one of those companies, give a shout out for the silent auction. We can use all the help we can get.

FYI - I've been going to MGC since 2013. The show has been an absolute blast to attend for me and my friends, so I wanted to give back. Dan suggested that we could improve the After Party by doing a silent auction and using the money to get some additional food and maybe do some special stuff. I took the ball late but with the help of others, we have good start.

Are you selling pinball mods? The Silent Auction is the least expensive way to get your products, and your company out in front of the 10,000+ people that attend MGC. You don't have to be a big company to contribute. Every contribution helps.

I'll start a thread soon for the MGC Silent Auction and provide a link here. In that thread, we will track donations for the auction.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

I'll start a thread soon for the MGC Silent Auction and provide a link here. In that thread, we will track donations for the auction.

Just wanted to say thanks publicly immediately to Steve for spearheading this! We've been wanting to do it for a few years, and improve the bonuses for the machine bringers even further. It also gives all the machine bringers another bonus, since the silent auction will be held during the after party, it will just be the people at the after party bidding, so there should be some great deals too! I know a few things coming, and I have my eye on a couple of them myself!

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Just wanted to say thanks publicly immediately to Steve for spearheading this! We've been wanting to do it for a few years, and improve the bonuses for the machine bringers even further. It also gives all the machine bringers another bonus, since the silent auction will be held during the after party, it will just be the people at the after party bidding, so there should be some great deals too! I know a few things coming, and I have my eye on a couple of them myself!

Does this mean we can drink later into the AM and get excessively rowdy?

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Does this mean we can drink later into the AM and get excessively rowdy?

#150 3 years ago

We have got to get out to this show! Everyone raves about it. This year is looking like we cut it too close with the hotel being sold out.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 189.99
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 563 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside