(Topic ID: 28383)

Midwest Gaming Classic 2013. Anybody Else Gearing Up?

By davewtf

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GizzArd
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

I thought i'd start a thread now that expo has come and gone. March 23-24, 2013 is the date, I believe.

Has anyone else made any plans to attend? What games are you bringing? I highly recommend bringing a game so you can get in to the afterparty, if Dan does that again this year.

I plan on bringing my Jackbot. I will attend both days and am planning to participate in the tournament this time.

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

#2 7 years ago

I'll be there if I can get the flux capacitor fixed on my time machine.........

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Venom_249:

I'll be there if I can get the flux capacitor fixed on my Time Machine.........

fixed

#4 7 years ago

Yea...I'll probably show up.

#5 7 years ago

You can bet your sweet ass me and the usuals will be there. Well, one usual may not make it as his wife is due towards the end of March. I told her I was going to stick a cork in it so she couldn't have the kid until we got back.

#6 7 years ago

Ha! I'll be there (first time!)

I surely hope that Cranky Dude Kelly won't be there.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I plan on bringing my Jackbot

You have a Jackbot?

MGC is a cool event, but one I never actually get to go to during the day. I always try to bring a few machines for people to play, even though I know I won't be able to look after them should something go wrong. I always try to at least do the afterparty, as that is fun to play with some friends.

I will probably bring two or three machines this year like I do other years, as it sits right now based on my current lineup, it would most likely be Indiana Jones, Batman Forever, and probably POTC... who knows, my lineup changes so frequently it is hard to say right now.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Venom_249:

I'll be there if I can get the flux capacitor fixed on my Time Machine.........

I am pretty sure Dan's powergrid could slightly be altered to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of power needed to travel through time.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yea...I'll probably show up.

Yep we'll be there slaving away. My back is already starting to hurt just thinking about it.
    MGC is always a good time.

#10 7 years ago

My apologies to all of you who are still hungover from expo. I started this thread WAY TOO SOON!

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

davewth said:

I plan on bringing my Jackbot

You have a Jackbot? []

#12 7 years ago

I will be there and plan to bring a game (not sure what yet).

I actually hope to take time off work and lend a hand with more stuff this year. It works out really nice for me since any leftover PTO at work needs to be used by the end of March or I lose it

I am looking forward to MGC already. Can someone remind me what days of the week it runs?

I thought load in was thursday, opens to public on Friday-Sunday, with game bringer afterparty on Sat night?

#13 7 years ago

Want to....hope to...will i? maybe. depends. work. life.

fingers crossed.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can someone remind me what days of the week it runs?
    I thought load in was thursday, opens to public on Friday-Sunday, with game bringer afterparty on Sat night?

Taken from the website:

"Our 2013 event will be held on Saturday, March 23, 2013, from 10:00am to 8:00pm and Family Day Sunday, March 24, 2013, from 10:00am to 5:00pm."

Load in day is Friday, I think?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Our 2013 event will be held on Saturday, March 23, 2013, from 10:00am to 8:00pm and Family Day Sunday, March 24, 2013, from 10:00am to 5:00pm.
    Load in day is Friday, I think?

Some people start Thursday night esp Dan Loosen who runs the MGC. I usually get there Friday to help out.

#16 7 years ago

great thanks.

so sounds like I need to plan for Friday before and maybe Monday after to take off work...

#17 7 years ago

Yup - I'll be there for sure and will bring at least one machine. I know two others that are planning on bringing a machine as well. The freeplay area has grown insanely huge over the past 2 years. Anyone near the Milwaukee area should definitely make a point of stopping out to see a fantastic collection of games (pinball, arcade, home console and otherwise).

#18 7 years ago

There were a ton of games last year we had to set some up in the hallway. Always good to have a ton of games.

#19 7 years ago

MGC is great. The pinball part keeps growing and the gamers add a level of excitement you don't see at other shows.

Make plans to attend now.

LTG

#20 7 years ago

i went last year for the first time and i enjoyed it. that being said, there was a lot more of the "console gaming" there than i thought there would be, which isn't a bad thing, i just wasn't expecting it.

if i can get down thursday night i might bring something with, drop it off and then come back saturday or sunday. i have a couple of classics that i just got in that need some TLC that i should have ready be then. High speed and F 14. both need some work and some touchups, but both are a blast to play.

#21 7 years ago

Is there any way to increase the pin area? Last year was tight to say the least. I bet you could fill another room without blinking an eye.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

Is there any way to increase the pin area? Last year was tight to say the least. I bet you could fill another room without blinking an eye.

I can't speak for them. But get ahold of Dan Loosen now. Let him know. Show promoters do the best they can.

LTG

#23 7 years ago

I vote for more pinball area also at MGC! IMHO, it was the one obvious place for improvement over last year.

Dan (goatdan) is on pinside and I assume he will see this thread soon if he has not already.

#24 7 years ago

I missed this years, I was golfing at Toad Valley Golf Course. I plan on making it next year.

#25 7 years ago

I won't speak for Dan, but I will say this. More space is easier said than done. Trust me, that's priority #1 and everything that can be done, is being done.

#26 7 years ago

Were there any unused/underused conference rooms in other spots of the hotel? I know some of the gaming areas seemed underutilized in my opinion (of course that is coming from a pinhead and I understand that MGC has its roots in gaming). Happy to help in anyway Dan needs it this year!

#27 7 years ago

I'm in! After 2 MGC's and 1.3 Expos...MGC is definitely the place for me to be. Looking to bring Hook this year, or maybe Strange Science if I can't solve the small random power glitch by then. Brought Star Trek 25th last year, so I probably won't bring that again. Who knows though, still thinking it over...Paragon anyone? Thinking that also.

As for the space, I do know that Dan is well aware of that. He and I have discussed it in the past. There are a few issues with rearranging, among which was power distribution if I recall correctly. But, he was going to take a look at all that.

#28 7 years ago

I already have that week off of work. We have to pick early. I might have Congo there or I might put my collection up for vote on what to bring.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

MGC is great. The pinball part keeps growing and the gamers add a level of excitement you don't see at other shows.
    Make plans to attend now.
    LTG

Will you be able to attend this year you think? I know time is money for an op such as yourself.

#30 7 years ago

I plan on going. It'll be my first time attending MGC

#31 7 years ago

I'm sure some of my games will be there next year. This year was the first time and it was great. The afterhours party was fantastic!

I also appreciate all the folks who chip in to make it happen during the days leading up, the event, and post. A true community feel is there.

I agree it gets quite cozy but that's half the fun.

Jeff

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Will you be able to attend this year you think? I know time is money for an op such as yourself.

I doubt it. I'd love to but that is a busy time of year for me.

LTG

#33 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We're already hard at work planning next year's MGC...

A few things...

Yup, we're only Saturday / Sunday. No intention to change that currently, as a LOT of our vendors have told us that they absolutely love that about our show. I love longer shows too, but the two-and-a-half days is what it is at least for the foreseeable future. The half day isn't official, but you'll probably be able to visit Tom's collection of 300+ machines again on Friday during the day, so if you want to see more pinball, you have an easy way to make that happen. We're working on confirming it with Tom, as he took a new job a long way away (like, half the country), but he still thinks he can make it happen. Amazing guy...

...just like the million amazing guys involved with making the show a success. If you want to become one of those guys this year, PM me and we can make it happen. I need a bunch of people Friday, some Saturday, some Sunday, and some after the show closes Sunday night. But... if you need a different time, we'd love to get you involved.

The show doesn't make much of anything in the way of money, so improvements come directly from more people getting involved. Whatever money we make, we generally put directly into improvements that impact your visit. We are working on another huge Doc Ock upgrade. Consider our first power grid cost us a MM in today's market, you know we're serious about making things work.

Now, having said that... space. I know that everyone here wants to see more pinball space, and so do I. The console guys want more console space, and I do too. The vendors all want way more space, and so do I. The problem that we have is that Milwaukee does not have too many larger spaces, and even more so inside the county line there are some anti-coin op laws that make hosting a short show potentially impossible. I am meeting with people on this Friday about if there is a possible loophole in the law that we can exploit to move the show to another location, but that won't work for us this year. Besides that, we need to see exactly how the show does in the way of money this year before we commit a ton of money to moving it. While I agree that this past year we could have used another 20,000 square feet, and this coming year we could probably use 30,000 more square feet, we would have lost money if we were paying for it. We're working on that, but it is a big thing to overcome.

So... there you have it We're doing our absolute best, and any ideas that people have we're open to!

Also, for those talking about the console stuff... as I like to tell people, we're pretty much now the largest collectible console gaming convention in the nation... and we happen to have one of the largest pinball shows attached. You can spend the whole weekend avoiding the other part of the show if you want and I think you'll still be happy with it...

...but, having them both allows you to check out what the other is like. My collection consists of about 50ish pins now, about 5 arcade vids, and a couple thousand video games. I like it all... but pinball is probably my favorite

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

From what I understand, MGC is being held in the biggest space available for the area. So Im sure Dan will do what he can, but the show has become too popular!

ps, I can't wait. I was disappointed in Expo and had a much better time at MGC. Just wish there was a pinbrawl-like tournament at MGC too!

#35 7 years ago

I would love a pinbrawl event at MGC!

#36 7 years ago

I attended MGC this past year and am planning to attend next year.
    Great event. Kudos to those that organized and ran it.

#37 7 years ago

Call me crazy but I >LOVE< the location that MGC is held at.

I love the crowded feel it has!

I love the fact that games are all over the place, in the halls, in the rooms, everywhere!

I love the layout of the hotel, how you go down stairs to all the smaller rooms and explore all the cool things going on in each room.

I love the crowded pinball hall.

I love the loaded vendor hall.

I love that there are some people walking around in costume.

I love that you can play a lot of great pinball games, then go downstairs and go to a retro video arcade with a 1980's theme.

I love that there are area with guys playing board/card games. I don't play these myself but I love seeing them be played in this environment.

I love that there is a room dedicated to electronics hackers modding whatever they brought.

I love that you can hang out in a bar and watch the seminars.

I love that you can walk into a room that has 80's music cranked, the lights are low, and there are a bunch of 8-bit Atari, Commodore, Apple, and TRS-80 computers on display to play with.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MGC. Please don't change it too much!!! It really has a nice intimate feel. It is >by far< my favorite pinball related show. I would be sad if the location moved.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

I love the fact that games are all over the place, in the halls, in the rooms, everywhere!

I love the layout of the hotel, how you go down stairs to all the smaller rooms and explore all the cool things going on in each room.

I love that you can play a lot of great pinball games, then go downstairs and go to a retro video arcade with a 1980's theme.

I love that there are area with guys playing board/card games. I don't play these myself but I love seeing them be played in this environment.

I love that there is a room dedicated to electronics hackers modding whatever they brought.

I love that you can walk into a room that has 80's music cranked, the lights are low, and there are a bunch of 8-bit Atari, Commodore, Apple, and TRS-80 computers on display to play with.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MGC. Please don't change it too much!!! It really has a nice intimate feel. It is >by far< my favorite pinball related show. I would be sad if the location moved.

You forgot one.

I love the greatest and most helpful hotel staff.

LTG

#39 7 years ago

Working on my Sorcerer hope to have it ready by then , Playfield is almost back togather . But still plan on repainting cabinet . I'll also be bringing Trilogy Brewing Co again and serve beer for after party .

#40 7 years ago

I will be bringing 2 games. Not sure which ones, should be in Friday to help setup.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I thought i'd start a thread now that expo has come and gone. March 23-24, 2013 is the date, I believe.
    Has anyone else made any plans to attend? What games are you bringing? I highly recommend bringing a game so you can get in to the afterparty, if Dan does that again this year.
    I plan on bringing my Jackbot. I will attend both days and am planning to participate in the tournament this time.
    http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

I have to say, I look forward to the MGC every year. I love the mix of pins and vids. Where else can I play the Atari demo for a Sears store? The hotel staff is great, Dan is great, and he has some of the best people around helping him out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can make it this year. Dan deserves a huge thank you for all he does. I don't think I see his feet stop moving once during the entire show. (Along with everyone else involved to make the MGC happen)!!!!!!!!!

Brian

#42 7 years ago

I'll be attending. As crowded as it is, any pinball gathering is fun in my eyes. Really debating bringing a pin this time.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You forgot one.
    LTG

It was nice meeting you at Jacks dinner Friday night Lloyd. Will you be at the upcoming MGC?

Chris W

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

It was nice meeting you at Jacks dinner Friday night Lloyd. Will you be at the upcoming MGC?

Chris W

The pleasure was mine, thank you Chris.

MGC is at a bad time of the year for me to go. Last of good business as Spring and Summer approach.

I was last there in 2010. My seminar didn't go so good. Spent 7 hours Saturday night with Rob Anthony and Andrew Barney fixing games, and was there late on Sunday helping tear down. I had a great time. That was the year with Andrew's help we got the BBH from Stern up there and back. And I dragged that DH back here for somebody.

The show is a blast. Dan works hard and puts on a heck of a show. Like I said the gamers add a level of excitement to the show you won't see elsewhere.

Plan to attend now and have the time of your life !

LTG

#45 7 years ago

Can't wait, March seems like a long time. I'll probably bring two games....Whirlwind and one EM.

#46 7 years ago

Just wish there was a pinbrawl-like tournament at MGC too!

I wanted to do exactly this, and we have the space and the way to do it...

Tom Taylor last year suggested that he could put up his collection of 300+ working machines to do a tournament like this. I spoke with a bunch of people, and no one wanted to step up to run it. I don't have the time.

We're working on something similar this year though, and I already have a couple people who may be able to organize. It depends on Tom's availability, and then on if we can nail down something. I'd put it at 50/50 chance of happening, and if anyone wants to help this particular part of the show happen, PM or email me and we can start thinking about how to pull it off more!

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Yup. It's one of the best parts about the events. Stuff in every corner, rooms packed to the gills. It's really great. I think better signage is in order. I didn't make it downstairs until Sunday after 12pm only to find out that there were a row of 80's vids. It was great.

Not sure there is a way to organize things better. My only suggestions would be tp line up the vids in front ove the windows to the pool. You may get another row of pins in the pin room that way. I know this would affect pincades the most

Also I don't think there is room but maybe a room or space for all sale machines. This would keep the pin hall without holes throughout the weekend. I think that's more about trying to move things in and out.

Regardless, Dan it's a fantastic show. If I'm around this year ill be happy to help. Probably bring the Family Guy in its road case. Just need to find a friend with a trailer.

Chris

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Tom Taylor last year suggested that he could put up his collection of 300+ working machines to do a tournament like this. I spoke with a bunch of people, and no one wanted to step up to run it. I don't have the time.

Ironfinger at Tom's . I'm in !

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

That would be sick. JAY's was tough enough last year. 300 machines would be insane.........I love it.

Chris

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A-freaking-men. The hotel staff is ridiculously cool, and it will make it hard to move even for the more space. A lot of the things that people mention as being really cool about the show -- seminars in the bar area, lobby used for stuff, hallways used for stuff... that was *all* the Hotel's idea that we just ran with.

I've never had a hotel say to me when I went, "Anywhere else we could put some stuff?" say, "Yeah, how about the lobby?"

Quoted from ChrisS:

I think better signage is in order. I didn't make it downstairs until Sunday after 12pm only to find out that there were a row of 80's vids. It was great.

There is never a great answer to this. We have a comprehensive banner system up at the show with something like 25 banners pointing the direction to each room including the basement, but somehow it seems like everyone misses this. We're planning on doing an easel in the room coming out of the main room, as that seems to be our one problem location.

And you can visit those 80s arcades any time (and my Batman Forever!) at Star Worlds Arcade in DeKalb, IL. I *love* having those guys involved with the show!

Quoted from ChrisS:

Not sure there is a way to organize things better. My only suggestions would be tp line up the vids in front ove the windows to the pool. You may get another row of pins in the pin room that way. I know this would affect pincades the most

We are planning on doing something like this next year. The tough thing is that of course sellers want to keep their stuff together, so balancing that is tough. I have already confirmed we can fill the entire hall outside the dining area with machines, and based on what happens Friday, we're just about ready to make another major Doc Ock upgrade...

Quoted from ChrisS:

Also I don't think there is room but maybe a room or space for all sale machines. This would keep the pin hall without holes throughout the weekend. I think that's more about trying to move things in and out.

Sadly, there really isn't another room available. The hotel is giving us -- get this -- HOTEL ROOMS to shove some more show into this year. The plan right now is to probably use those for more console displays, but I have had the proposal to do an early 70s style EM room too, which would be really awesome, but running power everywhere is our issue with something like that...

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Hehe, starting 134 hours before the MGC so you can play it all.

...oh, and one last thing. I appreciate all the love from everyone on here, but I definitely can't accept it all myself. I do run around all weekend and try to put out fires, but to point out just a few more people...

Gary Heil is the other main show organizer. You all don't see him as much because he handles vendors, but we work together on everything. The half joke / half truth is that Gary makes the money, and I spend it all, but without him the show would definitely not exist.

Steve Tully is a great friend from Madison who if it wasn't for him suggesting about five years ago now that he would handle arcade hall set up, I don't know if we'd still have an arcade hall. You may know him as the guy who checks you in, sets up your machine, fixes it when it breaks, and helps you load it up.

Joining Steve is a bevy of super-important arcade-hall people. Without Chris (JediTurtle), Tom (TomGWi), Eric S and Keith J, the arcade hall wouldn't exist. Period. They work tirelessly to get that hall together, and if it wasn't for their help, I honestly do not know if the entire MGC would exist. They have been good enough to essentially handle ALL of set up, and they are really awesome guys and great friends too.

Don C is a great personal friend who is a huge pinball guy (you might've seen him speak at Expo!) and is a huge help. Last year, he missed the event due to a family issue, but spent a few hours while in Florida that day calling news stations to try to get them to come out. He and his wife has been instrumental in this thing since 2004.

Special thanks too to Roger Sharpe for prodding me into holding a tournament and then showing up with Steve Epstein to host the first one. My favorite memories from each year I think are catching up on real life with him.

...I'm sure that I'm missing 100 people, but I say this every year and I mean it. If you want to see what the show would look like if it was just Gary and I running it, check out the pictures from 2002, as that is probably about what it would be. It's volunteers like the above that I have named, and SO MANY MORE (I could seriously name at least another 50 pinball guys alone, and I haven't even TOUCHED on the video game guys) that make us keep doing this thing.

I guarantee you that it doesn't make us enough (any?) money to make us do it for that. I know that I do it because of the amazing friendships that I have formed by doing the show, and I hope to introduce my gaming hobby (passion?). I'm honored and glad that you all feel the same way

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 29.95
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 209.99
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside