(Topic ID: 141607)

Midway/Bally Big Bat - repair/restore questions......

By dkazz1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dkazz1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0268.jpg
    big_bat.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Morning all

I was fortunate enough to pick up two of these games in really nice shape from an op I've been dealing with for years. They are pretty big and very rare from what I understand. Now I need a few parts to get them completely working, specifically the belts or a suitable replacement for them. Other than that they seem to be completely working, other than the belt and going through the motors in the back which shoot out the balls.

Anyone have any history/sources for parts for these games?

They also had the manuals so I'll be uploading those to IPDB to help others.

Thanks!

These are the best source pages I saw when doing a search on them:

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=big+bat&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#4768

http://www.wallgames.com/Big_Bat/Index.htm

#2 8 years ago

This is a picture of what one of them look like.

The two I have are complete.

big_bat.jpgbig_bat.jpg

#3 8 years ago

^^^ Some good stuff there. Thanks! ^^^

Ya got two of 'em, eh? They say misery loves company! I feel sorry for your back.

Mine has been cluttering up the garage for a decade or so. One of these days I'm going to get the darn thing set up and mess with it some.

Source for parts? Which ones? Pinball Resource has legs, coils, bulbs. Pretty sure the Alltek mpu now has Big Bat code. Miscellaneous industrial rubber pieces for the ball handling machinery - found the lift belt pretty easily but the pitch rollers might be a challenge.

http://ebelting.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_26&products_id=239

Of course they only ship ups so the freight is almost as much as the belt.

#4 8 years ago

The urethane belt is the main item I need. Thanks for the link!

#5 8 years ago

I own one too but unfortunately, it has been in storage for many years. A local restorer contacted me looking for the pitch rollers (rubber wheels that pitch the ball after its lifted) since the ones on the two games he had turned to goo. I fear mine will be in similar state once I finally dig it out.

If you end up needing and find a source for the rollers, please post it here here since I would like to buy them while I have a chance.

I was involved with the commercial operation of the actual game I now own. It used to break the plastic "Bat" plate all the time so I eventually made one out of Stainless Steel. The problem with it was the SS was too smooth and you didn't get any good action off a hit. I seem to recall attaching some textured ABS to the surface to fix the issue.

1 week later
    #6 8 years ago

Looks like the urethane belt source should work fine, the only other item I need is the urethane ball pitch roller rubber - mine were literally melted and looked like milk spilled on the gears. So I'll need to do some clean up there and just source that part. Everything else looks good, but I'm sure there could be other issues.

These games kind a fall into the (are they really worth it) fixing up category, but they are simply in too good of shape to part or just let fall by the wayside. Call me a hoarder I guess.

#7 8 years ago

I think I found a source for the pitch rollers as well, just would need to cut them to fit:

http://www.urethanespecialties.com/urethanetubes.html

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from dkazz1:

I think I found a source for the pitch rollers as well, just would need to cut them to fit:

Well, If you end up with excess stock and it fits and functions correctly, send me a PM and I will buy a set off you (help cover your investment).

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Well, If you end up with excess stock and it fits and functions correctly, send me a PM and I will buy a set off you (help cover your investment).

No worries CactusJack, I'll be working on this over the fall/winter and will update the thread based on what I find for the replacement parts. Once I get them precise, I'll be happy to make a few extras up and ship them to you for the cost of shipping and a minor amount for the cost of the material (which should be really cheap)

Although these games seem as big as a damn boat anchor, we need to keep em working

I also just ordered the replacement belts at a 44 inch length as suggested, hopefully that works out too.

#10 8 years ago

Made some small progress - worked on the driver board. Replaced elderly electrolytic caps at C4, C5, and C6. Resoldered connector headers. Added some jumper wires.

IMG_0268.jpgIMG_0268.jpg

The AS-2518-147 combo driver board can benefit from the same ground and power mods as the pinball solenoid drivers. They changed the numbers on the caps and test points so the instructions need to be modified before performing the board mods.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver_Upgrades

(1) Tie the 5V test points together. This is TP3(red arrow) and TP5(orange arrow) on the -147 board.

(2) Connect negative leads of C4(5V filter) and C5(HV filter) to perimeter ground trace(green arrows).

1 year later
    #11 6 years ago
    Quoted from dkazz1:

I'll be ordering the material that I will be cutting down to fit for this game, only problem being that this material is pretty expensive (over $60 for a 24" piece). If anyone wants some for their big bat, figure on about $10 for a pair shipped in the USA......PM me if interested.

Will be ordering by the end of the week.

1 week later
    #12 6 years ago

Tubes ordered so I should have them in a week or so.

Testing and restoration should start by early July so I should have the tubes available by Mid July I'm guessing.

1 week later
    #13 6 years ago

Tubes came in the mail yesterday. I ordered two different tubes for hardness to see which one works better. My intention is to work on the machines next week and test them out. I know I told a few of you that the cost per set was going to be about $10 per set shipped, It will actually be $12 per set shipped as I didn't account for the shipping in the cost. Still reasonable I think.

Prior to me requesting any money, I'm going to thoroughly test the tubes to see which one works best (the softer one or the harder one).

Not that alot of people have these games, but it would be nice to have some clarity for us that do and how to fix them moving forward.

Will update after testing and contact all interested parties after that.

#14 6 years ago

I started digging into the games today. Amazingly both games seem to function electronically but have some mechanical issues. I installed the new belting that I ordered from ebelting.com that works perfectly although I have a motor issue on one drive assembly so I'll have to fix that. The ball launch mechanics seem to be fine on both however I need to tweak the tubing a bit to get it to work. Not there yet but I'm guessing I'll have it figured out by the weekend, hopefully.

3 weeks later
    #15 6 years ago

A little update. So I've got one of the machines pretty much fully working but still haven't figured out the urethane tube portion yet. A 1/2 inch piece in width is simply too large so I've tried it more at the 3/8 inch amount and that seems to work. Now I'm dealing with the balls getting stuck so I'm going to have to modify the diameter a bit to make it work right. Roughing it up with sandpaper helped a bit but the ball still doesn't shoot out far enough.

On a positive note the belting from ebelting.com worked perfectly.

1 year later
    #16 5 years ago

With the help of my son, we have this game up and running now........will post the updates soon!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midwaybally-big-bat-repairrestore-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.