I haven't had a ton of shop time recently. Other projects and family have been putting this on the back burner, but I had a little time to look into the gun assembly. I recently got some really accurate photos of an original gun stock from mopar. The stock I bought is close to the original, but there are a couple of differences. I'm still deciding if I want to reshape the new stock I bought to more closely resemble an original. Before I decide that, I have to get the existing stock off the trigger mech.
20190820_171311 (resized).jpg20190820_171322 (resized).jpg
I thought this was going to be pretty easy. Tap the pin out to release it from the base, and then slide the mech out. Boy was I wrong, and while trying to do this I almost destroyed the gun mech. I clamped the gun and mount into my vise and took a punch to the pin. It wouldn't budge. I assumed it was just rust keeping it in place. I wound up hitting the punch so hard that the gun slipped out of the vise. I managed to catch it with my foot. If I wouldn't have, I have no doubt something would have broke when it hit the concrete. I've always liked taking things apart to see how they work. The #1 thing I learned doing this is if you have to force it, you're probably doing something wrong. Some force is fine, but too much and you need to step back and reevaluate how it's put together. It originally went together without that much force, and it probably should come apart the same way. I have to keep reminding myself of that. Upon closer inspection, there were two small holes on the underside of the gun.
After clearing the dirt out of them, a small set screw was inside of each one. After removing them, I took a punch to the pin and it came out. Here is the pin. You can see where the set screw lies in a groove in the pin. I was never going to get the pin out without breaking the set screws or mangling the pin.
Next problem was removing the slide from the top of the gun. It could slide forward and back, but sliding it back made it catch on the metal tube coming up from the bottom. Sliding it forward made it catch on the stock. Neither way allowed it to come off. I concluded it had to slide forward to come off but there just wasn't any clearance. I found a pin on the underside of the gun. I assumed like my last problem that this was what was keeping everything in place.
20191010_175300 - Copy (resized).jpg
After messing with it, I came really close to drilling it out. I convinced myself that was the only way, but surely they didn't peen a pin into place that couldn't be removed. After a lot of back and forth, I found the metal tube had some vertical movement to it. To remove the slide you have to push the metal tube up into the mech this allows for enough clearance above the stock to remove the slide. Then you have to rotate the tube slightly. This revels the screw I thought was a pin. Thank God I didn't drill it out. After the screw is removed, the mech can come out. I never would have guessed this thing was so complicated to disassemble. The milling on this stock to fit the mech looks complicated. I'm going to have to think on how to mill out the replacement I have. If it was just a couple of holes, it wouldn't be so bad, but there is a lot of shallow recesses. My rough plan is to do remove the bulk of the material where needed with a drill press and then do the rest of the milling using hand tools. This is going to be tricky.
20191010_175708 (resized).jpg20191010_175718 (resized).jpg20191010_175714 (resized).jpg
20191010_175718 (resized).jpg20191010_175726 (resized).jpg20191010_175821 (resized).jpg20191010_175905 (resized).jpg20191010_175909 (resized).jpg20191010_175912 (resized).jpg20191010_175915 (resized).jpg20191010_175921 (resized).jpg20191010_175925 (resized).jpg20191010_175927 (resized).jpg