Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160227_171845_(resized).jpg
20160226_201317_(resized).jpg
20160217_202902_(resized).jpg
20160221_200920_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JustageFehler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I'm working away on my first pinball cleaning on a 1969 Gottlieb Wild Wild West EM and had a few questions I'm hoping I can get help with:

Are the playfield nails and wire guides supposed to be removed for cleaning and waxing the playfield? If so how?

Removing the pop-bumpers requires desoldering, correct? Are they supposed to be removed for cleaning and waxing the PF?

Is mild dish soap in warm water the best way to clean all the white playfield posts? Or simple green?

Did the vari-targets have decals/stickers originally?

Has anyone printed decals/stickers for the top apron? I was thinking of adding some western art onto the original white upper apron.

In the interest of keeping the new ball from getting worn and in turn damaging the playfield, should I smooth (photo to follow) the upper arched metal launch rail plate (or whatever its proper name is) or buy a new one to replace it with?

I'm replacing all the bulbs with #47s (is there a trick to changing the under-playfield ones more easily?) but otherwise on the electrical end should I:
1. replace the plug and cord with a modern one?
2. is it practical, recommended, or easy to add a ground?
3. hook up to hi-tap? (there is a card that says not to)
4. upgrade the flipper coils? (the originals seem to be working fine).
5. anything else typically added to older EM electrics?
6. I don't really like the glare from LEDS but if someone has some strong recommendations about using LEDS conservatively on an EM, which spots would benefit the most?

I'll keep reading the forum about coating the backglass and redoing the stencils on the cab and head but
any advice is certainly welcomed.

Thanks!!
George

20160221_200920_(resized).jpg

20160217_202902_(resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

Wickerman2, thanks! It's cleaning up really well and I can't wait to receive my $30 can of wax and play this machine.

The pops have mylar rings under them and I can't figure out how to clean them well without removing the pops but I'm new to soldering so while I bought the tools I'm not eager to get busy on them at this point.

I left the nails and rails and cleaned mostly around them but am curious what their proper removal method is and how to correctly reattach?

I also have a new 69 Skipper and am enjoying the 2" flippers a lot on 3" feet. Do a lot do the hi-tap and different coils or is that me just being crazy at this point?

And for the arch rail at the top it doesn't seem all that bad to me, but do people smooth them while they're out?

cheers,
George

20160226_201317_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Thanks again! the pop bumper rings are loose and there sure is some grit under them so I'll be snipping them!
I think I'll work around the rail guides since its just cleaning and waxing not clearcoating.
The arch had two spots that I thought were bent up but on closer inspection since they're pretty uniform I'm assuming that it was made that way. It's not as rough/sharp as I thought either so will polish and replace without trying to round the edge.
The posts cleaned up nicely!

#6 3 years ago

and this is probably silly but I was thinking of replacing the coin entry decals with 25 cents 1 play from the 2 nickels (they're also all crinkled). Can I clean the old decal off the coin entry plate or do I need a new plate C10710 and decal A16196?
http://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/decal25c-play-p-1466
http://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/coin-entry-plate-plug-p-1739

20160227_171845_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 30.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 349.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 20.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JustageFehler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside