Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by danczaz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6EB1A1D5-BE17-4CFE-ABA9-FD5D592E6226 (resized).jpeg
2D47421C-D43A-4173-B305-17374AB47B4B (resized).jpeg
ECCDDEF6-A162-4E3C-AFB5-6A89D5E06171 (resized).jpeg
0B8CD383-7648-4E4E-9270-5C2232EF79BD (resized).jpeg
524338A2-0BA4-4538-8209-8B87CED73931 (resized).jpeg
392F4F11-66AB-4A3B-A14A-2F9018CCB82A (resized).jpeg
7991FD6A-646B-41A9-80AD-CF07C73509B0 (resized).jpeg
3B6430FC-6D27-40A0-A523-05BCCEED465D (resized).jpeg
758B8FD6-F666-4C61-9FF2-0C69430F64FA (resized).jpeg
07049E66-2D40-456F-9442-E56A8325392A (resized).jpeg
E6C1735F-CEA9-475F-9101-7B3D306D63AB (resized).jpeg
931B6408-900B-4E90-A940-120CA3A1FB8D (resized).jpeg
3A70B4FA-C2D6-4BC3-B98F-9823408B5537 (resized).png
BDEA5B5C-D232-4345-A29F-DBDFAE3FF429 (resized).jpeg
AC350646-A0AE-41AE-B7A6-0E05EE55D91D (resized).jpeg
B45F4C1A-DC81-43E6-BB58-F907D62C5AE4 (resized).jpeg

#1 10 days ago

Just picked up this game and I am pretty much a EM newbie... (extent of my experience with EM’s is going the through Nic’s pinball class when he did his big tour)... here come the questions

#2 10 days ago

5676F851-E8F4-475F-8BE9-0BFCC934A8A4 (resized).jpeg691F7A02-3A30-4362-8617-82E580CEEE88 (resized).jpegDF329DED-A20B-47A6-94AA-91F9B8D06BAE (resized).jpeg

B45F4C1A-DC81-43E6-BB58-F907D62C5AE4 (resized).jpeg
#3 10 days ago

Question 1

So I couldn’t get game to coin up... when I open up playfield I found the this jumper wire... this would allow me to start game...

I pasted a a photo off IPDB and you can see the window in backglass for credits... my backglass did not have that and as you can see it kind of seems like it came from factory like that... any ideas?

#4 10 days ago

AC350646-A0AE-41AE-B7A6-0E05EE55D91D (resized).jpegBDEA5B5C-D232-4345-A29F-DBDFAE3FF429 (resized).jpeg
#5 10 days ago

Question 2...

So now that I was able to get game to coin up it was not resetting... I noticed the shot step up unit was not resetting properly... I took apart left side in photo above and had it moving pretty good... I took apart right side and cleaned shaft... I feel like I did not get that spring back on correctly... I have it working now bout the nut on left side is like barely hand tight.

#6 10 days ago

Question 3... so I have the game resetting properly... but it will not “score”. The “double targets” and “homers” work... where do I start?

#7 10 days ago

3A70B4FA-C2D6-4BC3-B98F-9823408B5537 (resized).png931B6408-900B-4E90-A940-120CA3A1FB8D (resized).jpeg
#8 10 days ago

07049E66-2D40-456F-9442-E56A8325392A (resized).jpegE6C1735F-CEA9-475F-9101-7B3D306D63AB (resized).jpeg
#9 10 days ago

And here’s a photo of the machine

3B6430FC-6D27-40A0-A523-05BCCEED465D (resized).jpeg758B8FD6-F666-4C61-9FF2-0C69430F64FA (resized).jpeg
#11 9 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Question 2...
So now that I was able to get game to coin up it was not resetting... I noticed the shot step up unit was not resetting properly... I took apart left side in photo above and had it moving pretty good... I took apart right side and cleaned shaft... I feel like I did not get that spring back on correctly... I have it working now bout the nut on left side is like barely hand tight.

Tightening the nut clamps down the wiper fingers a little tighter which adds more friction as they wipe over the contacts. If it's not working with the nut tightened there's either too much friction in the stepper, or not enough torque in the spring wound around the shaft.

When you had the wipers off, did you clean the wipers and the contact board? And did you clean both the shaft and the bearing it runs through? If everything is clean then you may need more tension on the spring. Other steppers commonly need about 4 turns on the shaft spring to work reliably. Try adding another turn or two to your spring to see if that helps. Too much tension though and the stepper won't be able to step forward.

Quoted from danczaz:

Question 3... so I have the game resetting properly... but it will not “score”. The “double targets” and “homers” work... where do I start?

This game uses magnetic reed switches below the targets:
https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3213&picno=64914&zoom=1
Try moving the targets manually and see if you can see or hear the magnet reed switch activating. If you put your meter across each switch you should see its resistance drop to maybe an ohm or so when the switch closes. Do they all do that?

/Mark

#14 9 days ago

Ok-- so maybe we can help each other out... I too have a Midway Little League (a quite rare machine!).

Mine has never scored quite right. I've seen photos of a number of these machines now, and it would appear that most of them have some sorts of scoring issues. Please take a picture of all of the relays on the back of the door-- that's where the issue lies.

Most of the problems seem to be not with the "regular" scoring, but with the magic score- is that your issue as well? Could you please describe exactly what's going on and I will compare it to my machine for you.

Your backglass is in incredible condition. Any chance you'd be willing to scan it in so I could have a translite made for mine? My backglass isn't nearly as nice.

#15 9 days ago

Mine does not “score” at all... homers and double target hits seem to work fine though.

I don’t have a scanner... if you know someone in Chicagoland with a scanner that would help I would be willing to assist

#16 9 days ago

Looking at the schematic piece drsfmd posted in the other thread, it looks like those magnetic switches are normally closed, not normally open. Either way, when the targets swing you should see the switches open and close either visually or with a meter.

BTW, drsfmd if you're able, please consider scanning your schematic and sending it to ipdb.org since they don't have one.

#17 9 days ago

Couple of quick thoughts --
The game was released in 1966. During this time some states banned pinballs from giving free games (gambling!!) so some pins were Add a Ball and it looks like midway screened over the little square in the backglass to display free games. The mechs are there so just a matter of wires /relays whatever that allow step up and step down of replays -- then you carefully scraped out that square with an exacto knife. Or leave it as original
As far as scoring - lots of possibilities. Start with cleaning switches. Games from 60's have dirty switches from carbon dust and dirt etc and you need a clean contact. Also get a switch adjuster tool to properly bend switches to correct gaps. The other thing about games this old they used lubricant in the score reels and stepper units that has dried to a gummy mess and does not allow any movement. Take pics and take apart the units and clean with ISO alcohol. They will then move freely as they are probably binding. CAREFULLY clean the score reels with Novus 2. Test it first to make sure black ink for numbers does not come off. I use it on all my Williams and Gottliebs from that era with no problem. Don't know about Midways
Your best bet if you have not done it its to go here and read how to repair EMs and the section on how to restore them. Lots of good basic advice. Go to http://www.pinrepair.com/ and scroll down to "1930s to 1978 EM (Electro-Mechanical) Pinball Repair Guide". There is another guide on restoring which is great
You have a really nice BG and cab for a game that old. Don't mess it up with the wrong cleaners or doing too much. Follow the advice of "the enemy of good is great" trying to improve something thats OK. Follow the advice in the guide on Pinrepair and take it slow.

#18 9 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Mine does not “score” at all... homers and double target hits seem to work fine though.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that when you move the targets you can hear the clicking of the relays but nothing happens on the score reels?

Quoted from MarkG:

Looking at the schematic piece drsfmd posted in the other thread, it looks like those magnetic switches are normally closed, not normally open. Either way, when the targets swing you should see the switches open and close either visually or with a meter.

This is correct.

Quoted from bigdog50:

As far as scoring - lots of possibilities. Start with cleaning switches. Games from 60's have dirty switches from carbon dust and dirt etc and you need a clean contact. Also get a switch adjuster tool to properly bend switches to correct gaps.

The playfield switches on this game are magnetic, and enclosed in little glass capsules. Very unusual. The relays are more or less what you see in other machines.

Quoted from danczaz:

I don’t have a scanner... if you know someone in Chicagoland with a scanner that would help I would be willing to assist

Anybody out there able to lend a hand? We should start an archive of high resolution backglass images.

Quoted from MarkG:

BTW, drsfmd if you're able, please consider scanning your schematic and sending it to ipdb.org since they don't have one.

I've sent Jay a number of items related to rare machines that I own that he hasn't posted yet. Not sure why.

#19 9 days ago

Nothing “scores” when I play game. It does count homers though and double targets... if I manual trip relays I can get the “score” to move.

#20 9 days ago
Quoted from bigdog50:

Couple of quick thoughts --
The game was released in 1966. During this time some states banned pinballs from giving free games (gambling!!) so some pins were Add a Ball and it looks like midway screened over the little square in the backglass to display free games. The mechs are there so just a matter of wires /relays whatever that allow step up and step down of replays -- then you carefully scraped out that square with an exacto knife. Or leave it as original
As far as scoring - lots of possibilities. Start with cleaning switches. Games from 60's have dirty switches from carbon dust and dirt etc and you need a clean contact. Also get a switch adjuster tool to properly bend switches to correct gaps. The other thing about games this old they used lubricant in the score reels and stepper units that has dried to a gummy mess and does not allow any movement. Take pics and take apart the units and clean with ISO alcohol. They will then move freely as they are probably binding. CAREFULLY clean the score reels with Novus 2. Test it first to make sure black ink for numbers does not come off. I use it on all my Williams and Gottliebs from that era with no problem. Don't know about Midways
Your best bet if you have not done it its to go here and read how to repair EMs and the section on how to restore them. Lots of good basic advice. Go to http://www.pinrepair.com/ and scroll down to "1930s to 1978 EM (Electro-Mechanical) Pinball Repair Guide". There is another guide on restoring which is great
You have a really nice BG and cab for a game that old. Don't mess it up with the wrong cleaners or doing too much. Follow the advice of "the enemy of good is great" trying to improve something thats OK. Follow the advice in the guide on Pinrepair and take it slow.

Thanks for info BG... it definitely looks like it was painted over from factory. It was that Chicago operator sticker on it so wonder what the local laws were in 1966

#21 9 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Thanks for info BG... it definitely looks like it was painted over from factory. It was that Chicago operator sticker on it so wonder what the local laws were in 1966

According to this article https://www.history.com/news/that-time-america-outlawed-pinball
Chicago banned pinball for a while
"Milwaukee, Chicago, New Orleans and Los Angeles followed New York’s lead in banning pinball. Other cities such as Washington, D.C., prohibited children from playing it during school hours. Pinball was driven underground and became as much a part of rebel culture as leather jackets, cigarettes and greaser hairstyles."
WARNING: Graphic and disturbing images contained in the article!! (Especially for woodrail collectors)

#22 8 days ago

Well I am not sure what I did however wholly crap I think everything is working... I took off the back panel that covers switches and keeps ball from going into cabinet... I undid the screws that allows that tray holding the 7 spinners to come out. I wanted to see these magnetic switches... I notciced all the magnets in the magic switches had almost fallen out so I pushed back in so they were centered and put the tray back in... my plan was to document what happened then as I hit each switch as the magic switches had actually been doing nothing. Now everything seems to score and work as it should... wow!

I’ll need to do some more testing but wow!

#23 8 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I noticed all the magnets in the magic switches had almost fallen out so I pushed back in so they were centered and put the tray back in...

Interesting-- I'll have to take a look at mine. I don't think I've removed that tray before. Did you take any photos?

#24 8 days ago

I’ll try and shoot a good video with my go pro and post to YouTube so we can see how my machine scores versus others...

I think it’s working correctly... the guy I bought it from said it used to work but hasn’t working since moved houses and it sat for years.

I’m not sure I’ve seen this yellow star.

7991FD6A-646B-41A9-80AD-CF07C73509B0 (resized).jpeg
#25 8 days ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Interesting-- I'll have to take a look at mine. I don't think I've removed that tray before. Did you take any photos?

I can take some tonight and show what I was talking about.

#26 8 days ago

Your game must be set up differently than mine. Mine requires an absurdly high number of runs to earn a replay-- but has nothing to do with homers or double target hits. I need to take some pics so we can compare.

#27 8 days ago

That was the scorecard off IPDB... mine does not have a scorecard... I believe you can change those settings for double targets and homers... I have not looked into how you get replays based on score or how that works.

392F4F11-66AB-4A3B-A14A-2F9018CCB82A (resized).jpeg524338A2-0BA4-4538-8209-8B87CED73931 (resized).jpeg
#28 7 days ago

Those magnets were hanging out 3/4 of the way... just pushed them back in. They are press fit in.

0B8CD383-7648-4E4E-9270-5C2232EF79BD (resized).jpeg
#29 7 days ago

Here is how mine is playing right now...

#30 7 days ago

When I turn on machine the
“Tilt” is illuminated... it goes away when I start and end a game... in game over mode the are some relays still activated... should any relays be activated in game over mode?

#31 5 days ago

Got do a little more work on Little League. The bottom panel inside the cabinet was coming off on one side so I got that secure back in place... took the small marquee back glass off and I am going to seal it this weekend. Mounted free play switch inside the coin return. Got the GI all working behind back glass... need to remove back glass and check out bottom section still... took apart too side of playfield and cleaned up with some Novus 2.

Still think there are some mechanical issues... any one watch my video and have any comments?

Thanks
Dan

2D47421C-D43A-4173-B305-17374AB47B4B (resized).jpeg6EB1A1D5-BE17-4CFE-ABA9-FD5D592E6226 (resized).jpegECCDDEF6-A162-4E3C-AFB5-6A89D5E06171 (resized).jpeg
#32 5 days ago

Also.. my game came with PF made of plexiglass not tempered glass... normal?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 199.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
$ 14.95
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 254.99
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside