Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Timer_Arm.png
    IMG_20150904_123255.jpg
    20150904_125919.jpg
    20150904_125924.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I just got a 74 pirate twin gun. I'm a little lost on starting to troubleshoot. Is there anything out there which describes theory of operations, start sequence, or schematics please point me there!

Thanks!

Some pics just for the fun of it:IMG_20150904_123255.jpgIMG_20150904_123255.jpg20150904_125919.jpg20150904_125919.jpg20150904_125924.jpg20150904_125924.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I'm not sure on this because of the electronic portion I've never seen before. Does the game do anything? Load credits, try to start?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

I'm not sure on this because of the electronic portion I've never seen before. Does the game do anything? Load credits, try to start?

It tries - the ship will move upon start button, as do some reels. Manually opening the start relay (disengage) and manually engaging the player 1 relays will allow for some gun fire and there is at least one target that will register. I'm just trying to figure out how these things are supposed to work. Would be happy to pay for some docs if nothing online is available.

#5 8 years ago

Getting a little closer, but still flying blind. This rambling video shows how I need to manipulate the timer wheels a little to get a game start.

#6 8 years ago

As I remember it, with the rolling score reels, a reset would result in all the score reels being returned to "0" by running the motor in reverse. I don't remember if this is a timing issue (set amount of time run backwards) or if there are wiper contacts that simulate the Run out switches of a normal score reel. It appears that when you release the armature that is holding back the timer reels, it allows the reset sequence to continue to the next step(s).

The timer reels would normally be set to 00 and count up to the normal game time. In some games, when you earned the extra time (beat this score), it would proceed past the normal time and then end game at the extended time. Instead of counting down like other games have done.

#7 8 years ago

Ok, we've gotten somewhere. The "Timer Arm" which can be seen at the 12 second mark to te right of the timer ones unit, is locked onto the shaft. I'm thinking the leather clutches have seized to the arm. I put some oil on the clutches and now will give it a while to seep in. If I can't get the timer arm to move, I'll resort to disassembly.

Can anyone confirm if the timer arm *should* be able to move? The parts diagram doesn't indicate a notch in it, so I assume it should be movable with the leather clutches to provide resistance.

#8 8 years ago

Not exactly sure but I think the arm you are referring to would be locked to the shaft as it comes around every second to release the armature on the 1's timer digit to increment one digit. The clutch work is usually against the reels so that they can be locked in place and allowed to slip on the drive shaft. Look to see if you can see a small hole for a set screw or roll pin in the collar of the arm.

#9 8 years ago

See #16 in this picture - no notch for the arm, and surrounded by the clutches. I agree that it comes around every second - I think the resistance of the clutches lets that happen, but the slippage the clutch allows keeps the arm from engaging when in reset (reverse motor). This makes sense to me, but call me out please if I'm wrong.

Timer_Arm.pngTimer_Arm.png

#10 8 years ago

sounds right to me too. it might explain why your reset cycle seems to jam up. with the arm allowed to slip, it may allow the time reels to make it to 00 and trigger reset complete.

#11 8 years ago

A lot of these games is visual inspection. I worked on a game, no schematics every reel froze up. I cleaned everything by taking one assembly apart at a time and cleaning with alcohol. Checked every switch. You can tell how they all work by moving them by hand. I know making sure the reels reset to zero is a big part. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Its easier for me to visualize the mechanics than explain how it works to someone else.

#12 8 years ago

Ok, I'm pleased report that after a little persuasion the clutch has been freed and it seems to be working correctly. Note on the diagram that the spring is there to give enough resistance to allow the arm to delatch when counting up (spinning forward).

Quoted from patrickvc:

A lot of these games is visual inspection.

I agree, but when you are looking for a switch and all you have is likely wire color, it can be a pain to figure out where it is unless you are familiar. That said we (way2wyrd came to help!) made a lot of progress today.

Thanks for the help! I'll probably keep using this thread - for these issues. It seems that there is not a lot of documentation out there regarding this setup.

#13 8 years ago

I wondered who ended up with the "Pootie" Gun! Congrats and I hope you get it going.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midway-gun-game-start-sequenceschematic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.