9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinnut
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Trying to get this Monster Gun running correctly and I think I have some bad coils the game will play but does some odd things there are several M36-3300 coils on the back door I replaced a known bad with a new one that read 26 ohms since I can't find any other obvious reasons for the gremlins I'm chasing I checked the others and got high readings on a couple and low on another the previous owner had bypassed the 10a fuse for the coils with a jumper at one point and I think he did some damage, am I on the right track here?

#2 9 years ago

Very good chance there is a bad coil. What do you mean by odd things happening? Have you cleaned and adjusted all the contacts?

#3 9 years ago

I have gone over and checked/cleaned all the contacts at least three times the odd things are the black light being on at game over which shouldn't be possible the "score station" relay locked on at game over and during the game the rifle trigger will go dead when the game is attempting to change cycles with some loud buzzing from the relays. I discovered that there was a short between the metal frame of the backbox stepper and one of the black power wires to a score reel coil when the back door was closed that was causing the 10a fuse to blow and the previous owner instead of tracking down the problem used a jumper in place of the fuse so I'm thinking that might have messed up several coils.

#4 9 years ago

Do you have a wiring schematic for it? This would help with tracking down what could be causing the relay to be locked on. I am not familiar with Monster Gun but do have a Midway Wild Kingdom and my black light turns on when the machine is powered up.

#5 9 years ago

midway relays can be a pain. ive seen them where they ohm out poorly, and cleaning and resoldering the leads from the coil to the terminals is the fix. you can only un-wind one lead, the other comes from the center. the lead has to be very clean, be careful removing the varnish, you only have so much lead to work with. the different part numbers will have different specs for resistance. ohm out all the relays with the same part # to establish a baseline. if there are 5 of them, and 3 are the same, the other two wildly different, the 3 of the same are probably the correct resistance. keep in mind, no relay will be less that 2 ohms, and i dont think you'll find one over 150, but i could be wrong on that. cerntainly not over 300. i have a sea devil game, if you have a relay question, its probably in there i could test it for you. the relays are also tought to clean the contacts, no room for a point file. you need a burnishing tool, its much thinner, but doesnt cut like a file.

mike

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midway-gun-game-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.