(Topic ID: 171689)

Midway Gangbusters sound fix

By Ralph67

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gangbusters  (8) (resized).JPG
    DSCF1606 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1607 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1604 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1600 (resized).JPG
    searaid9 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ralph67.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi all , Missing sound fix .
    My Gangbusters was missing one sound , which was the robber sound , i though it was one of the MFC 80-40's on the pre amp board, that had blown .
    I tested for voltage on the pre amp connector , and the 'Robber' voltage was not their.
    Turns out it was a blown 555 timer chip on the Amp board , I installed 2 sockets and 2 new 555 chips, , thought i would just replace both. game sounds are now fully working . Yes!!
    I recommend putting new sockets in for the LM 354's also on the Amp board , because the original type are not great , This worked on mine. getting the Machine gun sound going again , as it was intermittent..

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from damonbeals:

I had a Gangbusters years ago, but it was missing the shutter for the gun, I tried to make one but never worked as it should. Are you still using the 8-track tape? Someone stole it from my game during the auction, it was there in the morning, but gone by the time they sold it. It's a fun gun game, but they are big!
    Damon

Yes still using the original 8 track tape player . I just cleaned the heads in it with some alcohol .

Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Sweet easy repair. still tryin to get the sound to work on my Sea Raider...

Some great information on Kens arcade page regarding the Sea Raider sounds.
    http://www.rainfall.com/pinball1/machines/Midway-Sea-Raider/Midway-Sea-Raider.html.

searaid9 (resized).pngsearaid9 (resized).png

#7 7 years ago
    1 month later
    #9 7 years ago

Thought i'd share some pictures of the Amp board work .
    New sockets on both the LM 354's and both 555 timer chips were replaced and sockets fitted .
    A bad LM socket was stopping the explosion and gun sound from working , fixed . ( The original sockets are outdated and can crack, as mine had )DSCF1604 (resized).JPGDSCF1604 (resized).JPGDSCF1600 (resized).JPGDSCF1600 (resized).JPG You might need slightly longers screws to refit the heatsink on the LM's .
    A bad 555 timer chip was blown and stopping the 'robber' sound from being picked up from the pre amp board . fixed!
    I also put new elec caps on all both the pe amp and amp board ...DSCF1606 (resized).JPGDSCF1606 (resized).JPGDSCF1607 (resized).JPGDSCF1607 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #11 7 years ago

I have found a LDR that works for the Gangbuster game , 170ohm light / 1.3Mohm dark
    part no 466-1996 RS Components.
    .http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/ldr-light-dependent-resistors/4661996/?sra=pstk
    I replaced 5 today on my game that were not working and bingo! working again like they should.
    Heres a link for the LDR's , these work great and are cheap compared with the hard to find originals ,
    My game had only 3 or 4 sensors working , but all are working now after i replaced them with these

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Awesome link, thanks!

No worries mate , just remember to use a heat sink when soldering these in , try not to overheat the legs.
    Hopefully RS components will post overseas ,as it's a Aussie based company.
    If you have problems getting them , send me a message , I could always send some over .
    Happy new year all...

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from OHEMIO:

What a great rifle arcade. I restored one of these for a friend of mine who owns a museum. He paid $100.00 for it from a guy in Cleveland 10 years ago. My opinion this is more an electronic game than an EM. Being more of an EM guy I had to call in a favor to have the boards rebuilt. Components are becoming hard to come by for some of these games. Especially the light sensors in the targets. His had the 8 track tape. Luckily not knowing much about the game I was able to figure out there was an issue with the board in that player by using my Haunted House board. This game took some time but again great arcade to play when up and running 100%.
    OHEMIO

Yes a real mix of EM and Early electronics , I found some of the relay contacts were hard to make work correctly , testing with meter helps.
    The old edge connectors on the boards caused a few issues.
    Was thinking of replacing these with the 'Gottlieb' style edge connectors.?? Opinions anyone? .
    But for the moment the games is working 100%. I think.

The only issue now is the Car now scores 300 per hit , before i replaced all the LDR's it used to score 100 per hit.
    The rest of the sensors on all other targets work fine, so i would love to hear if the Car should score 300 or 100???
    Everyone that plays it loves the Game .

Gangbusters  (8) (resized).JPGGangbusters (8) (resized).JPG

5 years later
    #16 1 year ago

Thanks yes ritch. my car scores 300 when it, i wasn't sure if that was the correct amount, Thanks for clearing that up cheers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ralph67.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midway-gangbusters-sound-fix?tu=Ralph67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.