(Topic ID: 158137)

Midway 8 Track Player - NEW MODERN REPLACEMENT OPTION!

By thepita007

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by thepita007
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1050158 (resized).JPG
    P1050146 (resized).JPG
    P1050145 (resized).JPG
    Gangbusters__(9)_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepita007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Finally a solution to the Tricky,Skippy 8 track players used in midway rifle games. (possibly others as well)

The board is still in development but below is a video showing the working prototype in a midway haunted house.

This board will allow you to use the original audio or you can create your own soundtrack!

Completely plug and play with no modifications required (for haunted house, awaiting test results on other midway games)

Thanks to HisboyElroy for showing the capabilities of the wav trigger.

Special thanks to following individual:

Board Guru/Engineer/Person doing the hard stuff making this possible: Hamster/ki4swy

Pricing/Features are still being worked out so stay tuned for more updates!

Important Video Notes:

There is a person (hamster) behind the game manual triggering the relays for the targets and scoring, this is why there is a delay for the audio. When triggered normal thru gameplay there is no delay.

The audio for some of the speech cuts out early this is due to not enough padding on the files. Which is why I stated we are still cleaning up the files.

Please give us some feedback!

1 month later
    #9 7 years ago

Here is a update video showing the game in action! Finally got it put back together for the most part.

Running the original audio files in this video. In the coming week I will make another video which shows it running using custom audio.

1 week later
    #20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

So basically when I made my custom 8 track I figured out it all worked. What the pre amp does is constantly play the same sound all the time. (8track player motor activates when a game is started) Then the Game changed what track it listens to. In gangbusters.
    It has background, car, and gansters saying stuff.
    I am not 100 percent sure if the background is mixed into the other sounds. Pretty sure is was not. So a board that will output a looping single track on line level as soon as power is applied. We don't really need to tie into motor power. Just pre amp power.
    Correct?
    Ed

we have it all figured out just a matter of making the PCB's. The sounds are not mixed they are independent. The games have different triggers for each track.

#22 7 years ago

If you are interested in a board please email [email protected]

This includes those who emailed/pm'd me. We are trying to determine how much demand there is, once this is done we will have a per unit price.

Please keep in mind only Haunted House is supported at this time.

5 years later
    #30 2 years ago

For those interested these are the pictures of the prototype board. I don't think it will ever get made as I sold the game and believe its in California now.

We used a wav trigger as it supported multiple tracks at same time. The breadboard is a power supply and isolation circuit for each track trigger. everything is rough in these pics as was prototype, we were planning on a plug and play solution. The copper board was roughly cut to fit original connector for 8 track player. So the board was designed for original harness of 120v and dropped it to 5v for wav trigger and isolated each input for voltage protection.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660

P1050145 (resized).JPGP1050145 (resized).JPGP1050146 (resized).JPGP1050146 (resized).JPGP1050158 (resized).JPGP1050158 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thepita007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/midway-em-rifle-modern-audio-replacement?tu=thepita007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.