1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by heatwave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have a Midway Captain Kidd EM gun game. I cannot get the targets lined up. If you adjust it to the right it wont reach the left side targets and vice versa.
    I have made new bushings to take a lot of play out of the gun swivel but just don't know what to do. I have no manual or schematics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff

#2 1 year ago

I had a Captain Kid but no longer, so this is a bit from memory. I would start with the stylus. Is it perfectly vertical? Does it move up and down OK? Next aim the gun at dead center (12 o'clock) for the main targets that move in a circle. Is the stylus hitting the correct contact at that point? If so, move to the bottom left and confirm contact at the correct 'pad'. Finally aim at the bottom right and confirm it is hitting the right tab. If not, then move the tray holding the contacts to get things lined up. Seems like the stylus on these gun games can break or the spring gets messed up, causing all sorts of alignment issues. So, for example, it could be that yours stylus is bent to the side so you can only align to the side it leans...if that makes sense

#3 1 year ago

I understand what you are saying. That's about what I have tried to do but if you get it lined up like you described it will not go far enough to the left or right to hit those targets. The gun does go up and down fine just doesn't go far enough to the right or left. I know this sounds crazy but that is what its doing.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballpatton:

I understand what you are saying. That's about what I have tried to do but if you get it lined up like you described it will not go far enough to the left or right to hit those targets. The gun does go up and down fine just doesn't go far enough to the right or left. I know this sounds crazy but that is what its doing.

You're right, it does sound crazy

Seems like it has to be something is restricting its movement. The only thing that should be preventing the gun from swinging to the left or right is the chain at the end of the barrel. It's not something as simply as that chain being too short or binding, is it?

#5 1 year ago

No I took the chain off just to see if that would help but same outcome. I will check it again tomorrow and try to give more specific details if I can.
    Thanks, Jeff

5 months later
    #6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballpatton:

I understand what you are saying. That's about what I have tried to do but if you get it lined up like you described it will not go far enough to the left or right to hit those targets.

Jeff -

When I brought my Midway Space Gun home, it turned out the bakelite wiper board was warped and this made it impossible to align the gun across all of the L-R and Up-Down targets. The previous owner had 'wadded up' some bubble wrap and wedged it on top of the board (where all the wires run) between it and the top mounting plate.

I found out that this was the problem the hard way when I removed the bubble wrap (I thought it might just be trash) and it threw everything out of whack. Turns out it need MORE bubble wrap strategically placed to 'flatten out' the board and allow the stylus to align with all the contact points. Works fine now.

I can send a pic of this if you want. Good luck.

Greg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.95
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 329.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 10.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside