86 days ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181110_164537 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20181106_190921 (resized).jpg
    DSCN4308 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4288 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4285 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4284 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4275 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    kcfront (resized).JPG
    kc side (resized).JPG
    captkidmerge (resized).JPG
    DSCN4026 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4025 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4024 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4016 (resized).JPG
    DSCN4015 (resized).JPG

#1 86 days ago

Picked this up a few months ago and am getting around to it. After much debate, I've decided to do a full restoration on it.
    The game is in great shape overall for its age. The seller said they got it 6 years ago at a storage locker auction and know nothing else about it. While it wasn't necessarily taken care of over the years, at least it was stored indoors.

The artwork is in excellent shape which will make for some high quality scans. From other photos I've found online the red (pink) seems to fade, mine especially. The aqua color is slightly faded. There is some very slight black webbing over the classic white base. This weekend I seized a sale at Sherwin Williams and got the colors, the aqua matches very well and looks a lot better than what's on there. The red was just close enough and I feel will look great.

The backglass was in good shape and I already scanned and sealed it.

I plan to squeeze this down into my basement. My stairs are fairly tight so the plan is to take it apart as much as I can to reduce the size and weight. Paint the cabinet, then reassemble and get it working in the basement. Bold I know, but should be fun!

Tonight I took a ton of photos, took a lot of stuff apart, organized and securely stored all the parts.

While I can read schematics, I haven't had the joy of fixing an EM game just yet. This one seemed to work pretty well just playing around with the relays. The two stepper units will certainly need to be cleaned. The score motor assembly all seems to work fine, but I'll likely go down the long road of cleaning and relubing it for the sake of the full restoration.

DSCN4014 (resized).JPGDSCN4015 (resized).JPGDSCN4016 (resized).JPGDSCN4024 (resized).JPGDSCN4025 (resized).JPGDSCN4026 (resized).JPGDSCN4195 (resized).JPGDSCN4196 (resized).JPG
    #2 85 days ago

Nice! Working score motor is gold for these Midways...

#3 81 days ago

Scanned and merged the artwork! I get nervous that Photoshop resizes the images. The photomerge doesn't work perfect, I'll have to go over and verify before printing stencils.

Got my Chicago pneumatic sander working on my new 15 gallon compressor, it'll make quick work out of sanding down the cab. Masking off first!

captkidmerge (resized).JPG
    #4 80 days ago

Vectorized the side. About 30 minutes. Certainly getting better at tracing, but small simple images certainly makes it easier.

kc side (resized).JPG
    #5 80 days ago

Front vectorized, 40 minutes.

kcfront (resized).JPG
    #6 80 days ago

Looking good my man!

#7 80 days ago

Last one done, about 30 minutes.

Capture (resized).JPG
    #8 80 days ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Looking good my man!

Thanks for the kind words! Your posts have certainly inspired me to up my game and try new things.

1 month later
    #9 45 days ago

Got a lot of projects I'm trying to get painted in the garage so I can bring them in before snowfall.
    Taped up Captain Kidd today and started sanding down the artwork.
    Sanding a little off the top I can see the original unfaded color of the paint, I think the red/pink I got is a little too red, but hopefully it will look good.
    I was planning to use the classic white base that I'm using for my Gottlieb restoration, but may end up going a bit lighter.

I have a pneumatic sander that's pretty bad ass, and this is still a giant pain. About an hour of sanding tonight making tons of lead paint dust and I'm only about halfway there.

DSCN4275 (resized).JPGDSCN4284 (resized).JPGDSCN4285 (resized).JPGDSCN4288 (resized).JPG
    #10 43 days ago

Looking good! Were watching!

#11 43 days ago

Raining again tonight, can't finish the sanding.
    Took some time and printed all the stencils. Despite having the files, it's a bit involved in monitoring the Cameo, making patches for what's over the 12" of the mask material, organizing and weeding.
    It also uses quite a bit of material.
    The last roll of Oramask I got on eBay, 150 ft. for $70. So 47 cents per foot.
    This game used 28 feet of material so only about $13 for stencils, not bad.

DSCN4308 (resized).JPG

#12 43 days ago

Looks great so far!!

CAUTION: If using WHITE auto paint, you only have 24hrs to clear it or it will crack. Found out the hard way.

#13 42 days ago

Spent more than a couple of hours doing the rest of the sanding today. Took a long time and was very hard and messy, but I feel very good with the work I did.

IMG_20181106_190921 (resized).jpg
    #14 38 days ago

Primed! Spraying with the Harbor Freight gun was very slow and took a lot of primer. Over a full quart of Killz.
    Did I mention I'm doing this back-to-back with my Monster Gun restoration? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1967-midway-monster-gun-repair-and-restoration

IMG_20181110_164537 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #15 12 days ago

Nice work! I am getting ready to restore the cabinet on my Captain Kid. Did you happen to save your stencils after you were done? If not, would you be willing to make and sell another set?

#16 12 days ago
    Quoted from Flipperover:

Nice work! I am getting ready to restore the cabinet on my Captain Kid. Did you happen to save your stencils after you were done? If not, would you be willing to make and sell another set?

I could but the oramask material certainly isn't cheap. PM me your email address and I'll share the files.

On a heavier note, I hesitated too much on this and now my (detached, non-insulated) garage is far too cold to paint. Bummed as I was hoping to get it all working over winter, but I have a couple other projects to keep me busy. Will pick this back up early spring!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 63.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    € 15.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.40
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside