(Topic ID: 178445)

microswitches and their arms

By Luppin

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have some microswitches that electronically works fine, and the button also works fine. The problem is with the arms. They tend to get slightly stuck and they are not pushed away but the button when depressing. What happens is that the switches do not work consistently. It's very annoying becuase when you check them they look fine, then they work ok for short time, and then you are back with the same problem.

What to do in those cases? Is there a way to fix the arm? I tried gently widening a bit the part of the arm that is attached to the microswitch, but I got poor results. I know a new microswitch is not expensive at all, but it's quite a long process ordering a new one, and then desolder the old one and solder the new one.

Do you have some suggestion on how to fix switch arms not working consistently?

#2 7 years ago

Probably have to replace. The plastic nubs on the side of the housing that the actuator fits around tend to wear over time. After years of futZing , I have found that the small investment for a new one is worth it. Just one bout of soldering g and the new ones last a long time in home use. Feels like getting new sneakers as a kid... "I'm invincible!!!!

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Probably have to replace. The plastic nubs on the side of the housing that the actuator fits around tend to wear over time. After years of futZing , I have found that the small investment for a new one is worth it. Just one bout of soldering g and the new ones last a long time in home use. Feels like getting new sneakers as a kid... "I'm invincible!!!!

I couldn't agree more. When they start causing problems, just replace them. You'll be glad you did.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microswitches-and-their-arms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.