Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Switch Diode Wiring (resized).jpg
    436450 (resized).jpg
    151385830_1370609246607621_909686390861642223_n (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I'm trying to convert some leaf switches (with diodes on them) to microswitches on an 80s game but not really familiar with microswitches. I bought a couple of new ones to experiment with that are made for rollovers on today's games marked NC/NO/NC, so it's like a double throw where depending on the lugs used, the actuator can either complete the circuit when closed, or open it. Has diode across the outer lugs.

So how do I (or can I?) connect my existing two leaf switch wires to this? Same as old switch where one wire goes to lug with unbanded diode end, other wire goes to the center lug? I'm not sure because on the leaf switches the unbanded diode end isn't connected to the switch blades itself, only to a mounting lug for one of the wires. Or am I just trying to use the wrong switch? Thanks!

151385830_1370609246607621_909686390861642223_n (resized).jpg151385830_1370609246607621_909686390861642223_n (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Okay I found out elsewhere in here that I need to clip the unbanded diode end off and use that end to connect directly to the 'lug' wire, other wire goes to center lug, with the other outer lug now unused. Solved!

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Okay I found out elsewhere in here that I need to clip the unbanded diode end off and use that end to connect directly to the 'lug

Not true. Connect the white wire to the right side of the switch, connect the green wire to the center of the switch. Leave the diode alone.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Not true. Connect the white wire to the right side of the switch, connect the green wire to the center of the switch. Leave the diode alone.

My switches have various color wires, not necessarily green and white(?) It's the drop targets on my BK. I was going by someone who converted a bunch in a Black Knight and used similar 3-lug switches on some rollovers but they didn't have diodes already on them. One wire was connected to a new diode, other diode end connected to one lug, other wire to another lug, with one outer lug unused.

So - I can connect the wire that previously went to the old switch's unbanded diode lug to the new lug which has the unbanded diode end on it, and the other end to the center lug?

#5 3 years ago

Okay I ran alligator wires from the existing switch's two wires to the new switch's center lug and the outer lug with unbanded diode end and yup, by golly it works. So I dunno if the other BK guy was using 3-lug switches that were actually different or what. Glad I don't have to snip the diode and have it hanging out there like that. Thanks!

#6 3 years ago

You are actually not using the third switch leàd for anything other than a place to solder the diode to for stability.

#7 3 years ago

By the way what colors are on your switch?

#8 3 years ago

I use these to reference microswitch wiring.

RM

436450 (resized).jpg436450 (resized).jpgSwitch Diode Wiring (resized).jpgSwitch Diode Wiring (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

By the way what colors are on your switch?

You mean the wires? Many different ones but I think each 3 bank does have one green wire (striped different colors) which is daisy chained to the next two in that bank so that's why some don't actually have a green wire on the switch, so I just went by the diode orientation on the switch lugs.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

I use these to reference microswitch wiring.
    RM
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for those because I now know I got lucky picking the correct outer lug. The locking washers that secure the switch to the mount were covering up half of the ID markings for the outer lugs and I thought the C on one end was just a chopped off "NC" but it was only a C, the common lug. So I was in error saying it was marked NC/NO/NC, it was NC/NO/C.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Many different ones but I think each 3 bank does have one green wire (striped different colors) which is daisy chained to the next two in that bank so that's why some don't actually have a green wire on the switch

That is why I said green wire and white wire. If you follow the jumpers back you will find a green/xxx and a white/xxx wires because this is a Williams game. Bally and Gottlieb colors will be different.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microswitch-wiring-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.