4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jjsmooth
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

inside (resized).jpg
    drill (resized).jpg
    Diassembled (resized).jpg
    Fixed (resized).jpg
    Failed (resized).jpg
    clean (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider michel_k17.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

The repair guide from http://homepinballrepair.com/ says:

"Microswitches are enclosed and cannot be cleaned. If they malfunction, they may need to be physically adjusted or replaced."

I found that it is not exactly correct, and if you are a cheap b*stard like me, you might be able to salvage an existing microswitch.

I have an old #black-knight that had a number of microswitches with very high resistance readings, varying from 64 Ohms up to infinity/open when the switch is closed.

Failed (resized).jpgFailed (resized).jpg

I simply drilled out the melted plastic holding them together (some can be split apart without doing this),

drill (resized).jpgdrill (resized).jpg

then take a picture (for future re-assembly),

inside (resized).jpginside (resized).jpgDiassembled (resized).jpgDiassembled (resized).jpg

and finally, I used the business card trick to clean the contacts.

clean (resized).jpgclean (resized).jpg

Re-assembly & retest

Fixed (resized).jpgFixed (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

How do you hold them together after?

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Did you screw it back together? Crazy glue? Melt something back together?

Nope. I simply pressed the two halves together, and there is enough friction that they do not fall apart. Afterwards, when they are screwed back against the supporting bracket, there is no risk of the two halves splitting since they are under compression from the screws.

Note: some of the newer switches do not have the melted plastic - they are held strictly by friction.

@KenLayton's solution:

Quoted from KenLayton:just soak the switch in some Mean Green diluted 50%
    ...is interesting - thank you. Can't wait to try it out on my next two switches that I need to do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider michel_k17.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microswitch-repair?tu=michel_k17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.