Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jmckune
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D32344EC-8863-49F8-B2F5-9D2AA04E85C2 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Is it possible for a microswitch to be bad if I can hear it clicking correctly? One of my ball trough switches isn’t registering but I can hear it clicking and have verified all wires are connected properl

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

Is it possible for a microswitch to be bad if I can hear it clicking correctly? One of my ball trough switches isn’t registering but I can hear it clicking and have verified all wires are connected properl

Connect a multi meter to each of the lugs. See if there is continuity when the switch is closed and no continuity when it is open.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Connect a multi meter to each of the lugs. See if there is continuity when the switch is closed and no continuity when it is open.

OL when open. Readings only went to 00.1 when closed. One next to it went much higher so I assume the switch is bad internally?

#4 3 years ago

I was able to pry one open with an exacto knife and repair it recently. It clicked fine but the contacts were dirty causing intermittent issues.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

OL when open. Readings only went to 00.1 when closed. One next to it went much higher so I assume the switch is bad internally?

So infinite resistance when open and very little resistance when closed? That’s as expected.

Did you look for broken or missing wires on other switches in the same row or column on the switch matrix? That would be the next thing to check.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

So infinite resistance when open and very little resistance when closed? That’s as expected.
    Did you look for broken or missing wires on other switches in the same row or column on the switch matrix? That would be the next thing to check.

Both switches before and after it register correctly. When I clicked on the one next to it, the resistance number climbed much higher. That’s why I assumed that the switch wasn’t working correctly. The wires both appear to be attached but I can try and reflow solder. When I did this same test on the ball trough 2 switch, it climbed up very high

#7 3 years ago

I really think the next step is checking the wires on the other switches in the same row or column on the matrix.

#8 3 years ago

Well the whirlwind switch matrix in the manual must be wrong, I think I know what is not working now and I should have realized it sooner. I have two switches not in place yet and one of them has the same wire color

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago

That must be it. Glad you found it.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That must be it. Glad you found it.

I probably would have been really confused when it randomly started working after putting those other two switches on. I was looking directly before and after it in the trough and outhole and didn’t see a thing. Didn’t even think about the rest of the playfield because according to the manual, those two switches aren’t related

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

I probably would have been really confused when it randomly started working after putting those other two switches on. I was looking directly before and after it in the trough and outhole and didn’t see a thing. Didn’t even think about the rest of the playfield because according to the manual, those two switches aren’t related

D32344EC-8863-49F8-B2F5-9D2AA04E85C2 (resized).jpegD32344EC-8863-49F8-B2F5-9D2AA04E85C2 (resized).jpeg
    #12 3 years ago

Was jumping the gun and wanted to make sure everything was working before I even finished! Never been able to set foot in front of a whirlwind until I picked this one up last week. My excitement got me!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microswitch-question-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.