Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SuperTurbo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I was looking at pinball videos online and saw one featuring the Microsoft pinball arcade. This brought back a ton of memories. I played the crap out of that game. I also think the graphics for Haunted House look a lot better than what Farsight is producing. What do you guys think?

Microsoft

Farsight

#2 11 years ago

I think the graphics look nice, but the physics is lacking.

#3 11 years ago

Pro Pinball tops them both. Too bad their first kickstarter failed. Apparently they're going to try again with a lower goal just for timeshock sometime soon.

#4 11 years ago

Timeshock is indeed off the chain. I had MS Pinball Arcade growing up and it was quite fun... In fact, I played it dang near until the CD was worn. Timeshock was by far the closest to "real pinball" from a graphics and physics perspective that I've seen... they even had test and diagnostics menus!

I'd love to see an actual "Timeshock!" table.

-- Jimmy

#5 11 years ago

I like the farsight but something is defiantly lacking

Graphics could be better, and the views are not that great.

Love MS pinball arcade

#6 11 years ago

That pro pinball looks awesome. I'm not sure about the physics in MS pinball since I haven't played it in years. I just think farsight should try using more photo realistic textures than the cartoony crap they currently use.

#7 11 years ago

I like Pinball arcade, even though the physics aren't 100% convincing. The ball feels too light, making them play way faster than the real things.

If you're impressed by what Pro Pinball has shown so far, you could probably amuse yourself for hours with a dimmer switch.

#8 11 years ago

Do you own e farsight ones? They've updated the graphics beyond that video...

Pro pinball looks fantastic.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

If you're impressed by what Pro Pinball has shown so far, you could probably amuse yourself for hours with a dimmer switch.

To be fair, the physics/gameplay of the original pro pinball series beats both farsight and MS. That demo is just of their updated lighting engine - there's no reason to believe the updated games wouldn't play as well or better an the DOS versions of old.

#10 11 years ago

That Pro Pinball lighting demo is nice!

Dare I say that Pinball Arcade / Farsight is the Stern of digital pinball? They put out consistently passable, playable tables at a pretty good pace, but could definitely be better on the meat of the experience - ie, physics, graphics, etc. There's a few Zen tables I enjoy playing more, but with theirs it seems a lot are bust vs. a couple booms.

#11 11 years ago

Pinball Arcade may not be perfect but it is a great time killer app for the iPad. I have gotten my monies worth out of it.

1 month later
    #12 11 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Farsight's Pinball Arcade. The physics feel good (though...they are not perfect) and the tables play right. I've spent more money on that app than on any other I have on my iPad. I don't own any tables myself and can't get out of the house much to go play on sight anywhere so it really helps scratch my pin itch.

My only negatives for it is that some of the tables have camera angles that make them really difficult to play. (Funhouse for example...the camera is SUPER low which makes shots up the table really hard to judge.)

Also if you catch a ball on the flipper and want to flick the flipper just to move the ball over to the other flipper...you just end up blasting the ball up the table. That takes out a LOT of my playing strategy

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from GeekyWhiteGuy:

Also if you catch a ball on the flipper and want to flick the flipper just to move the ball over to the other flipper...you just end up blasting the ball up the table. That takes out a LOT of my playing strategy

You mean a post transfer? Those are really easy on TPA. You hold the flipper, trap the ball, and then release the button for a microsecond and then hold the button down again. That gives you a clean post transfer on almost all of the cabinets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microsoft-pinball-arcade-looks-better-than-farsight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.